Really Wish Gus Hadn't Run Off All Our RB and QB Depth

Malcolm_FleX48

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Started the year with the most stacked RB room in the SEC and now..... Nothing.

None of these rumors started until we fired Gus. If the issue was Gus, the rumors would’ve started months ago, and would’ve disappeared after Gus was fired. MAR announced after Gus was fired. Rumors about tank and Shivers started within the last two weeks. 

Gus messed up coaching in several ways. But the transferring running backs are not his fault. 

6 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Started the year with the most stacked RB room in the SEC and now..... Nothing.

Joiner and MAR are clearly Gus. But guys like Shivers and Tank (if they go)... that, I don't understand.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Joiner and MAR are clearly Gus. But guys like Shivers and Tank (if they go)... that, I don't understand.

The first two were buried behind better players in the depth chart. They left over play time. MAR announced after Gus was fired.

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Amen flex, amen. So glad to have gus gone Bc he caused this.

Absolutely did . Good roster management makes you competitive every year. AU has been going downhill since he signed the extension. Makes me angry 

Just now, AUFriction said:

The first two were buried behind "better" players in the depth chart. 

Not sure of the better statement. We know how well Gus and company evaluated/graded talent.

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

None of these rumors started until we fired Gus. If the issue was Gus, the rumors would’ve started months ago, and would’ve disappeared after Gus was fired. MAR announced after Gus was fired. Rumors about tank and Shivers started within the last two weeks. 

Gus messed up coaching in several ways. But the transferring running backs are not his fault. 

According to his mother Shaun was ready for SC and well, we see what happened going forward. One of the times MAR was in, he ran down to caddy and chewed caddy out, we never saw MAR again. His piss poor roster management is probably the biggest reason he is no longer a HC

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I agree.   I understand loyalty to the coach that recruited you, but put in some tape of Boise and you will clearly see that you will be used in a professional manner with CBH

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

His piss poor roster management is probably the biggest reason he is no longer a HC

That, and being a dumbass

A good coach uses his RB room. There’s no reason it couldn’t of been tank 15-20+ touches, Shaun 7-10 touches, MAR 4-5 touches etc. hell uga passed most of the game but had 11-5-4 just in rushes with their rbs 

4 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Not sure of the better statement. We know how well Gus and company evaluated/graded talent.

For like 3 years, everyone was saying Shivers was the real deal primarily because of reports out of camp that he was impressing.  Once Shivers got his chance and didn’t look any better, it became MAR for the same reason. The idea that MAR was unfairly behind weaker backs is solely based on like 2 interviews with players during camp 2 years ago (before his injury). There’s a saying... the most popular player on a team is the backup QB. I’d argue that, with our fan base, the next most popular is always a running back buried in the depth chart for the same reason. If the ones playing aren’t looking great, the guys on the bench must be better.

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

A good coach uses his RB room. There’s no reason it couldn’t of been tank 15-20+ touches, Shaun 7-10 touches, MAR 4-5 touches etc. hell uga passed most of the game but had 11-5-4 just in rushes with their rbs 

You left out DJ.

We need so move on from Gus. Seems like he is living rent free in some of our heads. He did some good and some bad. But in the end his failures cost him his job. Deuces. 

Just now, AUFriction said:

You left out DJ.

And he could still have touches. A 70 play game and that’s 35 touches for the rest of the offense without including DJ. If gus had recruited an OL with our skill talent, he wouldn’t be sitting on his deck collecting 21 mil right now

Just now, PoetTiger said:

We need so move on from Gus. Seems like he is living rent free in some of our heads. He did some good and some bad. But in the end his failures cost him his job. Deuces. 

Yes but he put auburn and harsin at a disadvantage so it is worth mentioning. Good skill players and not much else

CBH has inherited a flaming mess pile!  There is some talent in some places, but it is a roster full of major holes!   I hope the AU family will be patient with him as he tries to build AU into a solid program playing from behind all of our major rivals.   He has his work cut out for him, but it can be done.  

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Agreed. Gus is gone, and, right or wrong, discussing him just creates drama on this board. We should just shift our attention forward.

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

CBH has inherited a flaming mess pile!  There is some talent in some places, but it is a roster full of major holes!   I hope the AU family will be patient with him as he tries to build AU into a solid program playing from behind all of our major rivals.   He has his work cut out for him, but it can be done.  

For a while, like one quarter they will, but the torches and pitchforks will always be at arms reach.

35 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Correlation =/= Causation.

Also MAR was before Miss State. The backs before these talks are 100% on Gus' lack of development and depth management. The subsequent transfers however are a combination. The WORST thing you can do is be a player with almost NO PT with a new coach coming in. If you at the very least have some good film during the incoming year you're fine. Otherwise (REGARDLESS WHAT THE COACH SAYS) you'll be relegated to walk-on status when the new coach comes in and brings in his system guys. The only way you stick out above those guys is if you have at least half to 3/4ths the relevant year film that Tank had. MAR knew this, Joiner probably didn't but he wasn't in the best of situations, not even being listed on the depth charts, worm and DJ are probably in the "Very Little Film" category & Tank is simply attached to the old staff.

Either way you slice it, the cupboards wouldn't be bare if we at least hadn't ran the tread off of Tank basically auditioning him for prospective suitors while most other backs with unique skillsets got few to no touches. Tank was the only one allowed to demonstrate "Bellcow" ability. 

Another factor is that the board mucking up the coaching search has basically made replacement of many backs and filling these holes almost impossible to do with equal to greater talent since most recruits have already signed or been courted properly by an intact coaching staff.....

26 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I agree.   I understand loyalty to the coach that recruited you, but put in some tape of Boise and you will clearly see that you will be used in a professional manner with CBH

Ive had 2-3 jobs where my boss was fired, and not once did I quit in solidarity with him.

Archived