Longhorns hire Sarkisian as head coach

Auburn06

This explains Sark’s bizarre behavior with respect to Auburn’s inquiries.

He was already deeply in talks with Texas at that time.

His very high contract demands were likely intended to create a bidding war between Auburn and Texas.

• WarTiger changed the title to Longhorns hire Sarkisian as head coach

Still not convinced a coach with 55-60% win percentage as a HC is a good bet.  Maybe he learned some things from Lil' Nicky....

43-33 as a head coach?  I like Sark, and what he has done with the offense at Bama has been incredible, however, give me that roster and I think I would have success.

The people that want Sark are taking a gamble on his Saban-Rehab, and hope that he will bring Sabans approach to their program.  So far, no one has been able to duplicate it.

7 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

43-33 as a head coach?  I like Sark, and what he has done with the offense at Bama has been incredible, however, give me that roster and I think I would have success.

The people that want Sark are taking a gamble on his Saban-Rehab, and hope that he will bring Sabans approach to their program.  So far, no one has been able to duplicate it.

I agree. I do think he's an excellent offensive mind, which, as with all OCs, is amplified by the incredible talent he has around him. But I don't know if he will be a great HC in terms of building a holistic program, or if he'll hang his hat on his offensive acumen (ala Lane Kiffen). 

I'm still surprised they fired Herman after putting up 50+ pts in the bowl game. But he had been there for 4 seasons now and had not sniffed championship level even though the 3 losses they had this season were all really close. They must really believe in Sark being a great coach to make this move the way they did it. They obvs only had one guy in mind with how quick the hire was made. 

High pressure situation Sark has just inserted himself into. As a fellow human being i hope he is ready for it on a personal level

7 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'm still surprised they fired Herman after putting up 50+ pts in the bowl game. But he had been there for 4 seasons now and had not sniffed championship level even though the 3 losses they had this season were all really close. They must really believe in Sark being a great coach to make this move the way they did it. They obvs only had one guy in mind with how quick the hire was made. 

High pressure situation Sark has just inserted himself into. As a fellow human being i hope he is ready for it on a personal level

He's a big boy and knows what he is doing. He is a "Malzhan Class" coach. Never had a 10 win season, and don't see him doing any better at Texass than he did at So Cal or Washington. 

Don’t look now but Sark is putting together a killer staff at Texas. He brought Kyle Flood with him (OL coach at Alabama), he hired Bo Davis (DL coach for the Detroit Lions), and he’s made a serious offer to Corey Raymond (LSU DB coach). I’m excited about our new staff, but I may end up being jealous of his.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Sark well.  Glad he got back in control of his life.  I wanted him as our HC at first, but am very happy with Coach Harsin.

My understanding is that the Texas AD and Sark are tight, and have been for a long time. Lot of people out here are upset with the AD over this. It's said that he rammed it through. Sark will be on a tight leash. 

Archived