Powell Injury (Update 3/1)

kwagoner

I am glad that they are playing it safe. I want him back 100%.  This year is about everybody growing and developing team chemistry in preparation for next year.  Adding a Dynamic PF and SG to this roster next year. A year for Pearl to analyze current players strength's and weaknesses and put a development program in place for each player that includes S&C, drills to improve on weak areas, and drills to improve on strength's. With some of our younger players S&C will be real important.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. I would much rather have a healthy team going into the SEC Tourny than Powell risking further damage in the regular season. If he isnt 100% but can play, give him 10-15 minutes maybe and call it good.

1 hour ago, AUnCullman said:

Agree. I would much rather have a healthy team going into the SEC Tourny than Powell risking further damage in the regular season. If he isnt 100% but can play, give him 10-15 minutes maybe and call it good.

I don't think we'll be in the SEC tourney this year with our post season ban

On 1/12/2021 at 2:36 AM, ellitor said:

@tgrogan21I hate watching games live now, I can watch a replay or from my DVR in 45 minutes whereas live takes 2 hours. I'm definitely a product of the times. lol

Me too! I just can’t look at my phone because friends start texting me about what’s happening.

1 minute ago, casatiger said:

Any updates on Powell's availability for the Kentucky game?

One insider on the bunker posted even before the Georgia game it was always going to be Kentucky when he returned. Haven’t seen anything new since.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

One insider on the bunker posted even before the Georgia game it was always going to be Kentucky when he returned. Haven’t seen anything new since.

Hope he is 100%.  Concussions can linger and make it difficult to process information quickly and react quickly.  Both of these traits are fairly important in basketball.  I like that they have given him plenty of time to recover and not rushed him into anything.  Selfishly though, I cannot wait to see this team with Sharife at the 1 and Powell at the 2.  

Being a Kentucky kid I'm sure he really wants to play in that one even if it's only a few minutes. Hope he lights it up.

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This might be the longest concussion protocol I’ve heard of. 

Apparently he can't get through practice without having a head ache.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Apparently he can't get through practice without having a head ache.

I so much look forward to him coming back to team up with Coop, but it ain't worth the risk if he is not 100%. I am win at all costs with recruiting,skirting rules,etc, but not with any players health. This had to be more serious than the average concussion and he should never take the court again if there is a any threat to his health

Cant imagine the anxiety this kid is having, especially today. Reach part of your goals to be in a good program only to have a dibilitating injury, then cant play against your homestate team.

Ugghhh. Hate it for him so much.

Forget bball ... this kid is a freshman in college who has to navigate college classes with an athlete’s schedule and classes.  If he has headaches practicing then he’s struggling with school and therefore stressed 

@gravejdFound this from Bball booster Hooks FWIW...

He is having issues with loud sounds and lights which at a game are there in spades. Hence why he hasn’t been at the games.

He will be fine ultimately it’s just takes time.

I had a feeling it would be a while. I saw the play where his head hit the floor.....UGH. Unlike turf.....basketball hardwood has no give and of course there is no gear to protect a basketball player's head.. He took a direct big blow to his head and he may not be back in 2021. If he does get to play this year it could be very limited I feel awful for him because it it a very life- disrupting injury on top of being so painful.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

I had a feeling it would be a while. I saw the play where his head hit the floor.....UGH. Unlike turf.....basketball hardwood has no give and of course there is no gear to protect a basketball player's head.. He took a direct big blow to his head and he may not be back in 2021. If he does get to play this year it could be very limited I feel awful for him because it it a very life- disrupting injury on top of being so painful.

People connected to the program & reporters are now echoing Belle's main points.

I was wondering why I didnt see him at the Kentucky game, even on the sidelines. I knew then his concussion was more serious than originally hoped for. But that makes sense if bright lights and loud noises make it worse. 

Prayers for Powell and a quick healing. 

Don’t believe many of us have said it but we are all thinking it so I just wanted to say I’m lifting up Justin in thoughts and prayers for a healthy recovery, not for his basketball, but for his quality of life.

Archived