Powell Injury (Update 3/1)

kwagoner

Well, quite obviously, the thing to do is bring in new equipment.

Basketball helmets.  

That will end this horrible, ongoing epidemic of basketball brain injuries.

Who's with me?

giphy.gif

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez I had no idea it was this serious, I thought he'd be out for just a couple games.  Hope he heals up quickly, sounds terrible.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Don’t believe many of us have said it but we are all thinking it so I just wanted to say I’m lifting up Justin in thoughts and prayers for a healthy recovery, not for his basketball, but for his quality of life.

Well said. We all talk more on bball part but him getting healthy for personal well being is far more important

Does anyone KNOW what's going on with Powell. He has now been out since Jan.6. Is it just the concussion or is there more. Kind of strange Pearl dosen't say anything, unless I missed it.

40 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Does anyone KNOW what's going on with Powell. He has now been out since Jan.6. Is it just the concussion or is there more. Kind of strange Pearl dosen't say anything, unless I missed it.

@Proud Tiger Merged your thread with the thread we already have on Powell's injury situation. Start from the post linked below & read rest of the thread & you'll be caught up on what's going on...

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Proud Tiger Merged your thread with the thread we already have on Powell's injury situation. Start from the post linked below & read rest of the thread & you'll be caught up on what's going on...

"Apparently" but I wish Pearl would say something specific. But it may be a privacy issue. Just hope he gets OK even if he doesn't play any more this year. With our record and no post season play it's not worth the risk.

20 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

but I wish Pearl would say something specific. But it may be a privacy issue.

Yup! Hippa

10 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

He said during his pregame radio interview with Andy that Powell can't get through a practice without headaches.

Yep. Which we already have posted on here.

Man, I hate it for Justin AND for the team, but you just don't mess with head injuries. It's more serious than basketball OR his schooling, because it affects everything he does. I mean, I'm glad it's ONLY extreme lights and noises that are bothering him now, but...well, I just know too much about how debilitating such injuries can be not to be worried about him on a personal level.

I sure want to see him play alongside Cooper, but I'm kinda afraid of him playing.  Seems like his injury was very serious, and taking the rest of the season off is not out of the question.  Sure loved seeing him play though.

From Coach Pearl at yesterday’s  presser

"So here's your weekly Justin Powell concussion protocol update. He's day-to-day. I hope that this week there's a chance that we can move him some. He hasn't moved yet. It's Monday. But I do think he's feeling better. And I can tell you know, as we get closer to the back half of the SEC season, if we were to get him back, let's say, this week, it would take at least two weeks to get him back. Because he's been shut down completely. I mean, he's done nothing. You kind of do the math. So maybe that's a little more information than I've been able to give you in the past.”

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

From Coach Pearl at yesterday’s  presser

Ugh sounds like at this point we are going to be lucky to see Powell again this season. 😟

Over the last couple of weeks it has seemed less and less likely that JP play again this season. We may see him (sitting in the stands. Even if he does play a few minutes our curiosity of seeing how Powell, Cooper, and Flanigan mesh on the court at the same time will not be seen and may never even happen if one or two) opt for the NBA.

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

Ugh sounds like at this point we are going to be lucky to see Powell again this season. 😟

There are 6 weeks left in the season. I still hold out hope that if he continues to make even a little progress, then I think he might be back for the last 3-4 weeks. 

At least based on Pearl's last comments.

Any setback, then it definitely something that is evidently going to take him months to heal from.

I hope we get a chance to see the Sharif and Vanilla Killa at least a couple games.  Reminds me of Dale Jr missing a bunch of races one season due to concussions.

5 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I hope we get a chance to see the Sharif and Vanilla Killa at least a couple games.  Reminds me of Dale Jr missing a bunch of races one season due to concussions.

Trent Green concussion vs the Bengals back in the day. Not all concussions are created equal.

My guess is he's done for the year and I would applaud the staff and family for not pushing him too early...he's got to think about life after basketball.  Each concussion makes you more and more susceptible for the next one and can take longer and longer to recover from.

Kid might need to pack up and go home for a month.  I cannot imagine the stress he is under in the classroom and you know he wants to get on the court.  That stress does not help him get better.  

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Trent Green concussion vs the Bengals back in the day. Not all concussions are created equal.

Just look at Mahomes and how fast he recovered. He couldn’t even stand up, and then wins a championship game a week later. Amazing 🤩 

I know when S. Cooper was out he still went to the home games....has anyone seen Justin at any of the home games????

Archived