best alternate helmets/uniforms

AU80cruiser

Hopefully there wont be too much angst that I started this thread. Thought it would be fun to help pass the time waiting for coaches to be named. 

I've taken a harder look at Boise St since hiring Harsin and I gotta admit that I like some of their helmets. I like their chrome outlined bronco and thought we could do a chrome on Navy helmet with a chrome outlined eagle similar to the generic helmet below. I wouldnt like a colored beak though. Maybe just an orange chrome eye on the eagle.

a155cd70-49b3-11ea-bfcb-ec3f2ef86f79.jpg

2016622151622612riddell-revo_eagle.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notre Dame

I'd only be down for alternates on A-Day. Or an orange uni/face mask. Biggest mistake a brand can make is to go away from an iconic look. 

There's a reason the Packers, Red Sox, Yankees, USC, Cowboys, Celtics, Steelers, Penn State, Alabama, etc are seen as the biggest brands in American sports - it's because they are bigger than modern trends.

We should keep that attitude as well.

8 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Penn State.  They got the white and then the ones with less white.  Those are great.  

Oh yeah, with the white down the side?!

24 minutes ago, api1957 said:

I love this idea. Not sold on the helmet. It'll never happen.

Auburn football | Auburn football, Football uniforms, Football

This reminds me of my makeshift Auburn uni when I was a kid playing in the backyard.

For the anti alt-uni crowd, I encourage you to do some google searches for various sports teams uniform history. You will be surprised how many changes and variations there have been through the years, including Auburn. A lot of the changes are subtle, some are dramatic but the evolution has always been there for every team. I don’t want us to become like Oregon but an annual alt uni wouldn’t hurt. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I'd only be down for alternates on A-Day. Or an orange uni/face mask. Biggest mistake a brand can make is to go away from an iconic look. 

There's a reason the Packers, Red Sox, Yankees, USC, Cowboys, Celtics, Steelers, Penn State, Alabama, etc are seen as the biggest brands in American sports - it's because they are bigger than modern trends.

We should keep that attitude as well.

On the other hand teams like Oregon and Clemson have helped build their brands  with the alt unis. Would you support an alt look once a year or are you a ‘never alt-er’ ?

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Or an orange uni/face mask.

White face mask on the white helmet. Keep the rest as is. Maybe orange jersey's once or twice a year.

I think there's a way to stay on brand and have an alternate jersey game every so often. The Packers and Steelers have alternate throwback jerseys and they have stayed on brand, so maybe Auburn can do something similar? Not sure which throwback jersey we would choose

• WarTiger changed the title to best alternate helmets/uniforms
1 hour ago, cctiger said:

White face mask on the white helmet. Keep the rest as is. Maybe orange jersey's once or twice a year.

If you’re going “white out “, go total white out. Headgear, mask, jersey with very little O&B (none of the piping on the sleeves, maybe a light shadow around the numbers and the name), solid white pants, gloves, socks and cleats.  Even the interlocking AU on the helmet could be a reflective Pearl white. 

10 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

If you’re going “white out “, go total white out.

No, not a TOTAL white out, just white face masks. (And maybe orange jersey's once or twice a year). Nothing major or earth shattering...

Just now, cctiger said:

No, not a TOTAL white out, just white face masks. (And maybe orange jersey's once or twice a year). Nothing major or earth shattering...

I’d love a total white out. Take the Stormtrooper uniforms to a new level. 

I’m for whatever goes best with our new blue field. 🔥

November 18, 1978, a date which will live in infamy....

auburn football doug barfield orange jersey

I was there...when they came out for kickoff in these the student section looked for a place to hide.  Posers look for gimmicks.

Archived