OC: Mike Bobo

W.E.D

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

It was friend leaving him because of all the uncertainty in Knoxville now. He paid them to leave.

I see. Well he's a good recruiter and good guy, so I can get behind that, I'm just not sold on the product, but that could have more to do with UT than Friend. 

What we've needed for a long, long time, was the right people in charge to pull all of us in the same direction, including some well intentioned, but directionless and downright sloppy PTB. It seems to be taking place right now.

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Not to happy about this one.....He must have been forced in because he's white!

I have no idea how you landed on such a conclusion.

I am told Mike Bobo came to Shane Beamer and told him he was considering the opportunity at Auburn. Beamer immediately told him to go get the job and made no effort to talk him out of it. The last thing Beamer wants is to have any coaches on his staff who don't really want to be at South Carolina. The feeling is the contract Bobo was offered was in line with his experience and track record as a coordinator and there was no desire to try to match what Auburn was offering. Not because the money isn't there but because it simply was not justified.

- Beamer views this as an opportunity to put together an even better offensive staff when all said and done. Obviously, he has to go out and make that happen with the coaches he lands, but he believes he will do just that.

- There is some talk that Des Kitchings could also be heading to Auburn but that is not confirmed as of yet.

- One scenario that was mentioned to me as precedent was Matt Rhule Lost his offensive coordinator at Temple and at Baylor prior to spring practice and believes each of those ended up being best for those programs long-term. He was able to hire better candidates in both instances and now Beamer has to go out and do the same thing.

- I understand the optics of this and the frustration that many of you are expressing. However, I still believe in the end South Carolina will have a high-quality coaching staff surrounding Beamer and they will be coaches who want to accept the challenge of building the program and being a part of that process.

USCe 247 mod

Mike Bobo hired as new Auburn offensive coordinator, QBs coach

31 minutes ago

Bryan Harsin is an outsider to the SEC, so he's plucking one of the conference's most well-known offensive coaches for his first Auburn staff.

South Carolina's Mike Bobo agreed Thursday to become the Tigers' new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, sources close to the situation tell Auburn Undercover. An official announcement is expected from the school later today.

Bobo replaces Chad Morris after the former Arkansas head coach was on Auburn's staff for just over a year. Bobo spent one season as the Gamecocks' offensive coordinator before serving as interim head coach following the firing of Will Muschamp.

South Carolina earlier this week announced a contract extension for Bobo to remain on new Gamecocks head coach Shane Beamer's staff. The deal ran through 2022 at $1.2 million per year. It's unclear whether Bobo signed the extension and if he will owe South Carolina a bigger buyout because of it.

Bobo is also bringing South Carolina offensive line coach Will Friend with him to Auburn.

A quarterback at Georgia in the late '90s, Bobo was the Bulldogs' quarterbacks coach from 2001-06 before adding being promoted to offensive coordinator, a position he held in Athens from 2007-14. In addition to being a highly regarded QB coach and offensive mind, Bobo recruited some of the top prospects in the SEC, such as five-stars Matthew Stafford, Aaron Murray, Sony Michel and Nick Chubb, among others.

In 2012, when Georgia was a few plays away from a BCS national championship appearance, Bobo took home the Broyles Award for top assistant coach in college football.

"Obviously with Mike Bobo, you look at the production numbers on the offensive side of the ball wherever he's been, you look at the quarterback play, you look at the balanced offense," said Rusty Mansell, recruiting analyst for Dawgs247. "Very big on balance, able to run the ball and being able to throw. It's kind of evolved from a pro style to him running more spread than he has."

13COMMENTS

Bobo parlayed his extensive success at Georgia into his first head coaching gig at Colorado State in 2014. He went 28-38 at CSU and was not retained by the program following the 2019 season.

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Those of you downvoting this likely don't get the joke. Rest assured it's a joke, and an appropriate one. 

As for folks saying his offenses at Georgia were this or that, remember, he was working for an OC who was reluctant to give up playcalling duties in the first place. Sound familiar? Also, that 2012 team was a play away from walking over Notre Dame in the national title game instead of bama. 

I'm not saying pretend he's Joe Brady, but he might have more to offer than we've seen. 

2 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I have no idea how you landed on such a conclusion.

He's being sarcastic. It was suggested in another thread that Mason was hired because he's black.

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I am told Mike Bobo came to Shane Beamer and told him he was considering the opportunity at Auburn. Beamer immediately told him to go get the job and made no effort to talk him out of it. The last thing Beamer wants is to have any coaches on his staff who don't really want to be at South Carolina. The feeling is the contract Bobo was offered was in line with his experience and track record as a coordinator and there was no desire to try to match what Auburn was offering. Not because the money isn't there but because it simply was not justified.

- Beamer views this as an opportunity to put together an even better offensive staff when all said and done. Obviously, he has to go out and make that happen with the coaches he lands, but he believes he will do just that.

- There is some talk that Des Kitchings could also be heading to Auburn but that is not confirmed as of yet.

- One scenario that was mentioned to me as precedent was Matt Rhule Lost his offensive coordinator at Temple and at Baylor prior to spring practice and believes each of those ended up being best for those programs long-term. He was able to hire better candidates in both instances and now Beamer has to go out and do the same thing.

- I understand the optics of this and the frustration that many of you are expressing. However, I still believe in the end South Carolina will have a high-quality coaching staff surrounding Beamer and they will be coaches who want to accept the challenge of building the program and being a part of that process.

USCe 247 mod

I don't buy this quote " Beamer views this as an opportunity to put together even a better offensive staff...",

I would think that if you are just hired to coach an SEC team, your first HC job, that you would ALREADY have hired the best offensive staff.

Geez, to insinuate that he can get someone better than Bobo is just telling me, someone just hired your best away from you...

8 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

USCe 247 mod

Definitely can tell this was written from a USCe perspective.  Paint the story to fit their narrative.  

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I don't buy this quote " Beamer views this as an opportunity to put together even a better offensive staff...",

I would think that if you are just hired to coach an SEC team, your first HC job, that you would ALREADY have hired the best offensive staff.

Geez, to insinuate that he can get someone better than Bobo is just telling me, someone just hired your best away from you...

Well if you listen to a few on here Bobo is at the bottom of the barrel. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Those of you downvoting this likely don't get the joke. Rest assured it's a joke, and an appropriate one. 

As for folks saying his offenses at Georgia were this or that, remember, he was working for an OC who was reluctant to give up playcalling duties in the first place. Sound familiar? Also, that 2012 team was a play away from walking over Notre Dame in the national title game instead of bama. 

I'm not saying pretend he's Joe Brady, but he might have more to offer than we've seen. 

AND....this is Harsin's offense. We just need to see how it develops and if it is successful and potent enough to go against the other high powered offenses we now deal with within the SEC.

Harsin, must feel that Bobo, brings the same versatility and offensive knowledge that fits with what Harsin does and wants to do at Auburn.

To compare Bobo during RIcht years is like trying to compare Saban in 2009 at Alabama to 2020. 

The offense is going to be balanced...and its going to have a better passing scheme than we are used to seeing over the last 8 years...

21 minutes ago, toddc said:

"Very big on balance, able to run the ball and being able to throw. It's kind of evolved from a pro style to him running more spread than he has."

The two biggest things from this are "balance" and "evolved".   He likes a solid balanced offense and is willing to adapt to his personnel, opposing defenses, etc.   I like it!

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well if you listen to a few on here Bobo is at the bottom of the barrel. 

Those aren't the ones people should listen to...

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Those aren't the ones people should listen to...

For me, I am totally okay with the hire as he seems to be a great recruiter and QB developer. He knows this area very well. I feel much better with the hire with a guy like CBH  running the show.  

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

For me, I am totally okay with the hire as he seems to be a great recruiter and QB developer. He knows this area very well. I feel much better with the hire with a guy like CBH  running the show.  

Me too, 100%

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He definitely coached some good QBs.  Coaching two first-round QBs is nothing to sneer at.

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Notice how the other way around not too many offended or have reactions or whatnot. Hilarious

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Lol . What in the world ??? 

I was totally against the hire , until I saw his recruiting history and qb development. Seem like a strong hire and the talent we should be able to bring in will be huge . 

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Notice how the other way around not too many offended or have reactions or whatnot. Hilarious

Is anyone saying Derek Mason was chosen based off race? If so they can **** right off.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I most certainly did notice. The blatant double standard is quite the theme these last 24 hours. 

Just now, Zeek said:

Is anyone saying Derek Mason was chosen based off race? If so they can **** right off.

That's exactly what was suggested in another thread. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

That's exactly what was suggested in another thread. 

I'd perma-ban someone for that level of stupidity and ignorance.

Derek Mason was the best DC on the market PERIOD.

Hell, the second best option on my list Marcus Freeman who also happens to not be white lol.

Heck, the third option most mentioned was Andy Avalos who also isn't white.

People drive me nuts man.

Archived