DC: Derek Mason

AUGunsmith

Updated: Confirmed

Welcome to The Plains Derek Mason - Defensive Coordinator

AUBURN, Ala. – Former Vanderbilt head coach and Stanford defensive coordinator, Derek Mason, has been named Auburn's defensive coordinator, head coach Bryan Harsin announced Thursday.

"Derek Mason is one of the best defensive minds in college football and his track record speaks for itself," Harsin said. "I've always admired his ability to prepare his defenses and his approach with players on and off the field is outstanding. Having experience as a head coach in the Southeastern Conference is invaluable and he will bring a lot to our program. We're fired up to have Coach Mason join the Auburn family."

Mason spent seven seasons at Vanderbilt (2014-20) where he became just the second coach in program history to lead a team to multiple bowl appearances. His 2018 team won six games and capped the regular season with a third straight victory over rival Tennessee and fifth in seven years. It also marked Vanderbilt's second bowl appearance in three years under Mason.

Mason guided Vanderbilt to its eighth postseason appearance in 2016 and finished the regular season 6-6, including four wins over the final six games. The season featured marquee SEC victories over Georgia, Ole Miss and No. 24 Tennessee. Inside linebacker Zach Cunningham became Vanderbilt's first consensus All-American in more than three decades, sweeping first-team honors.

"Auburn University is a special place with special people, and I've witnessed this in my time in the SEC," Mason said. "I admire the school, the facilities, the traditions and the uniqueness of the community. Auburn has everything! Auburn embraces all that I believe in and I'm very appreciative of Coach Harsin, Director of Athletics Allen Greene, and the University Administration for this opportunity. I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for Coach Harsin and I'm excited to hit the ground running."

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/1/7/football-derek-mason-named-defensive-coordinator-at-auburn.aspx

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good hire, brings SEC HC experience (always good to have on a staff) and extensive knowledge of recruiting in the South.  The players will love him.

I may eat my words, but I’m loving this hire!!  Hopefully he will have input to Harsin on who he wants to surround himself with as position coaches. He’s an intense guy and knows how to motivate!

This fits great. He knows Georgia and Carolina recruiting areas. Players love him. He is a great believer in teaching fundamentals. A great recruiter and great teacher who has coached some very good Defenses when he was DC.

WAR EAGLE and welcome to the family.

Hopefully he can help with Trevin Wallace and others that were looking at Auburn but have not signed yet.

Trust the process. Think this is a great hire. Harsin wants things done right, not right now. Probably why this took a minute to get completed. Hopefully now we can get an OC and fill out the position spots and do some scorched earth recruiting before February. Congrats Coach Mason War Eagle!! 🦅 

I'm not on board with this being an amazing hire.  I don't think it's a terrible hire.  I'm taking a wait and see.  I know his players at Vandy loved him, so that is a good sign of players willing to play for and getting motivated by a coach.

I hope he's a beast on the recruiting trail, but I'm not sure we really have any evidence of that.  First black DC in Auburn and probably one of the few in the SEC should be helpful.  

Look forward to reading about some of his schemes and what he likes to do.  He's been the defacto DC at Vandy for the last 6 years, so we should have some idea.

Posted earlier without much traction, if anyone is interested now

On 1/5/2021 at 11:48 AM, bigbird said:

Welcome Coach Mason!  Does anyone know if Mason will be allowed to choose his own assistants like Steele was under Malzahn?

Archived