DC: Derek Mason

AUGunsmith

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

Good hire

I hope so. I can live with it, I guess I'll have to. He used to be a really good DC and does know the SEC. I am just not a fan of recycled HC's. I don't have as much concern for this hire as I do if Bobo is hired as OC

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

shocker-shocked.gif

Def had more to the post to put it in context.  I don't think it is bad and look forward to reading more about him.

Hopefully he can fill out his staff well.  Tate posted this AM that he's been talking with TRob, who just turned down a Fla offer.

I don't hate it, I don't love it, I like it though.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Welcome Coach Mason!  Does anyone know if Mason will be allowed to choose his own assistants like Steele was under Malzahn?

He will have a lot of input, but I think that he's already been doing that with CBH.

Just now, W.E.D said:

Def had more to the post to put it in context.  I don't think it is bad and look forward to reading more about him.

Hopefully he can fill out his staff well.  Tate posted this AM that he's been talking with TRob, who just turned down a Fla offer.

I don't hate it, I don't love it, I like it though.

I know, just messing with you and your Eeyore persona 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I know, just messing with you and your Eeyore persona 

Lots of sunshine pumpers here.  Everyone thinks everything (besides Bo Nix) is amazing.  Seeing everything as not amazing is eeyore.  lol

Seems a lot of the new offenses has passed Mason by.  He was great at stopping the Chip Kelly spreads.  Hopefully not being a HC will give him some time to dive into what offenses are doing now.

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Welcome Coach Mason!  Does anyone know if Mason will be allowed to choose his own assistants like Steele was under Malzahn?

I'd think Mason would have heavy sway on who he wants coaching his defense, and he'd likely bring in some Vandy comrades. 

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not on board with this being an amazing hire.  I don't think it's a terrible hire.  I'm taking a wait and see.  I know his players at Vandy loved him, so that is a good sign of players willing to play for and getting motivated by a coach.

I hope he's a beast on the recruiting trail, but I'm not sure we really have any evidence of that.  First black DC in Auburn and probably one of the few in the SEC should be helpful.  

Look forward to reading about some of his schemes and what he likes to do.  He's been the defacto DC at Vandy for the last 6 years, so we should have some idea.

Go watch his D at Stanford.  You'll see what he can do with talent.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Go watch his D at Stanford.  You'll see what he can do with talent.

Yeah, mentioned that above.  He did a great job stopping Chip Kelly spread offenses.  But seems to be struggling with the new evolution of offenses.  Was that solely talent or has it passed him by?  Same type of concern with guys like Muschamp.

Just now, W.E.D said:

Yeah, mentioned that above.  He did a great job stopping Chip Kelly spread offenses.  But seems to be struggling with the new evolution of offenses.  Was that solely talent or has it passed him by?  Same type of concern with guys like Muschamp.

He's young, energetic, experienced and smart.  Here he'll get back to focusing only on defense and studying offenses and schemes.  I think he can do well in time.

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not on board with this being an amazing hire.

You didn’t even have to post this because we already knew!

1 minute ago, keesler said:

He's young, energetic, experienced and smart.  Here he'll get back to focusing only on defense and studying offenses and schemes.  I think he can do well in time.

He's 51.

How old are ya if you consider that young, lol

Just now, toddc said:

You didn’t even have to post this because we already knew!

I'm glad my presence is known.

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not on board with this being an amazing hire.  I don't think it's a terrible hire.  I'm taking a wait and see.  I know his players at Vandy loved him, so that is a good sign of players willing to play for and getting motivated by a coach.

I hope he's a beast on the recruiting trail, but I'm not sure we really have any evidence of that.  First black DC in Auburn and probably one of the few in the SEC should be helpful.  

Look forward to reading about some of his schemes and what he likes to do.  He's been the defacto DC at Vandy for the last 6 years, so we should have some idea.

At Vanderbilt he was limited in his recruiting because of academic standards and the Vandy Brand in football competing against SEC recruiting juggernauts. The fact that he was able to get some really good players just not enough of them shows me he can recruit. He had great D's at Stanford.  That plus as you said his players loved him tells me this is a great hire. Even as HC at Vandy he had a couple of winning seasons when you look at Vandy historically there are very few of those.

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Lots of sunshine pumpers here.  Everyone thinks everything (besides Bo Nix) is amazing.  Seeing everything as not amazing is eeyore.  lol

Seems a lot of the new offenses has passed Mason by.  He was great at stopping the Chip Kelly spreads.  Hopefully not being a HC will give him some time to dive into what offenses are doing now.

No, pissing and moaning about every potential hire before it is made, complaining about every hire that's been made, and incessant gloom and despair is Eeyore.  You've fulfilled everyone of those the last 10+days.

3 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Everyone wanted to take Mason to the prom, but CBH is the one that got him to say yes!  Well done CBH!

Agreed! If nothing else the fact that everyone else wanted him as a defensive coordinator means a lot to me. His defense at Vandy have been nothing to brag about lately but if multiple other programs wanted him to coach their defense the guy must be doing something right. 

Archived