DC: Derek Mason

AUGunsmith

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm glad my presence is known.

It’s known but I usually don’t get past the first sentence of negative talk.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's 51.

How old are ya if you consider that young, lol

He's a helluva lot younger than his predecessor. haha 

Mason knows this conference and the recruiting grounds.  I like that he brings a ton of experience as an SEC HC, that will be valuable to CBH. 

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Lots of sunshine pumpers here.  Everyone thinks everything (besides Bo Nix) is amazing.  Seeing everything as not amazing is eeyore.  lol

Seems a lot of the new offenses has passed Mason by.  He was great at stopping the Chip Kelly spreads.  Hopefully not being a HC will give him some time to dive into what offenses are doing now.

He was playing with a group of guys who got chewed out by a soccer player (albeit a very successful soccer player) 

I don’t think scheme can do much for you there. In any case, he’ll have opportunities for the best assistant coaches to discuss new ideas and concepts 

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Yep - I'm guilty.

I'm done with the arsehole going forward. Gosh, I love the ignore feature. ❤️

I have been abusing that ignore feature the last few weeks. Coaching change has brought out some boneheads.

11 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Excited to see what CDM can do with elite talent on defense at Auburn

He’s been at two schools with heavy academic restrictions. So I 100% agree on this

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's 51.

What’s the point of nitpicking this? 
You can also be a number...but be young and spry for that number. He’s a different 50 than say Bret Bielema 

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No, pissing and moaning about every potential hire before it is made, complaining about every hire that's been made, and incessant gloom and despair is Eeyore.  You've fulfilled everyone of those the last 10+days.

I guess tell me when it is acceptable to reject a hire like you with Bobo.

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Posted earlier without much traction, if anyone is interested now

Thanks for the always welcome football knowledge! Have we been playing a one-gap scheme under Steele or two-gap? If we're transitioning to two-gap, I think this could take some time to implement. We'll have to be patient.

22 minutes ago, keesler said:

He's a helluva lot younger than his predecessor. haha 

Mason knows this conference and the recruiting grounds.  I like that he brings a ton of experience as an SEC HC, that will be valuable to CBH. 

Just b/c he was a coach in the SEC doesn't mean he's going to be a great recruiter.

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's 51.

Steele’s got at least 10 years on Mason and overall did quite well defensively speaking. 

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What’s the point of nitpicking this? 
You can also be a number...but be young and spry for that number. He’s a different 50 than say Bret Bielema 

I def wouldn't call someone that is 51 "young".  Not really nitpicking

13 minutes ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

Players love DM

This was one think it seems everyone just scanned past when I pointed out a good thing about him.

32 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, mentioned that above.  He did a great job stopping Chip Kelly spread offenses.  But seems to be struggling with the new evolution of offenses.  Was that solely talent or has it passed him by?  Same type of concern with guys like Muschamp.

You saw him struggle where?

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Omg! We might actually have a coach that knows what he is doing!

From Cole that is High Praise. 

All joking aside like you I think we have a great hire.

32 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's 51.

Saban is 69. Good chance you could be expired by the time Mason retires from coaching. How ‘old’ is he, now? 🤣

I don't see the logic in thinking that a guy that was innovative enough to think outside the box and famously stop the earlier spreads somehow cannot adjust to some of the recent offensive advancements, of which he has been coaching against every year.  It isn't like he has been out of the game for 10 years.

Archived