DC: Derek Mason

AUGunsmith

FWIW, average age of an FBS head coach is 50.

The average FBS on-field coaching staff is 42.5 years old. Among the Power Five, the average on-field staff is 44.2 years old.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You saw him struggle where?

He's been the DC at Vandy since 2014.  He took over and has been bad, even for Vandy.  He's had some good players that have gone on to the NFL.  He was elite at stopping spread offenses.  Hopefully he can with modern day offenses when he actually has talent.  I never expected him to be elite at Vandy, but most of his teams weren't even competent.  Hopefully that was solely on recruits.

Counter Point: it seems our HC has been able to win with 3* recruits

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Thanks CBH for giving this one to your man, @Zeek, he needed this!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT'S GOOOOOOOOO BABBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

You're all welcome. I like to believe that I have willed this into existence literally since the day Gus was let go.

11/10 hire literally wouldn't have chosen anyone else!

Great DC
AMAZING human being

LOTS OF FIRE
Now he's gotta show he can recruit at a high level but by all accounts he should!!!

Plus it's history! Bo Jackson got what he wanted (first black coordinator for AU) and it's a **** of a lot better than Rodney Garner getting the "Good Ole Boy" nod at DC.

PARTTYYYYYY THE KINGDOM SHALL CELEBRATE TONIGHT

I MIGHT NEED TO TAKE TOMORROW OFF OF WORK

WOOOOOOOO

Just now, Zeek said:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT'S GOOOOOOOOO BABBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

You're all welcome. I like to believe that I have willed this into existence literally since the day Gus was let go.

Great DC
AMAZING human being

LOTS OF FIRE
Now he's gotta show he can recruit at a high level but by all accounts he should!!!

Plus it's history! Bo Jackson got what he wanted (first black coordinator for AU) and it's a **** of a lot better than Rodney Garner getting the "Good Ole Boy" nod at DC.

WOOOOOOOO

I thought you were taking a break? And you did not will a thing. A couple of us called for Derek Mason as soon as he was fired. Check the archives.

I think Mason is an excellent hire.

Bobo, if true, doesn’t excite me, but I’ll have to trust CBH on who he chooses. 

T-Rob seems to be a possibility, that would be great.

I haven’t heard Will Friend’s name mentioned in awhile; didn’t even know he was coaching. 

Whatever CBH decides, I’ll have to trust and go with on his staff. Hope more out there are with me on this. I believe in supporting until I can’t anymore, just like with Gus.

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's been the DC at Vandy since 2014.  He took over and has been bad, even for Vandy.  He's had some good players that have gone on to the NFL.  He was elite at stopping spread offenses.  Hopefully he can with modern day offenses when he actually has talent.  I never expected him to be elite at Vandy, but most of his teams weren't even competent.  Hopefully that was solely on recruits.

gif

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I thought you were taking a break? And you did not will a thing. A couple of us called for Derek Mason as soon as he was fired. Check the archives.

Oh I know lol but man I've wanted this bad. It's my lunch break lol had to chime in.

All the talk about Mason's age ... if you all wouldn't have told me he was 51, I would have believed he was in his early 40's. Guy looks good for his age!

Also, the most important part: This is very good hire! Pumped to see the team next year!

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Posted earlier without much traction, if anyone is interested now

Great article bird.  Lots of details there.  I glanced at first time it was posted, but really read this time.  Really interesting to think about the possibilities.

31 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Great DC
AMAZING human being

LOTS OF FIRE

WOOOOOOOO

Does this mean you'll change your avatar again?

37 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I feel like as you typed this you realized how stupid that take was.

3 minutes ago, wareagleguy said:

Saw Jeff Schmedding as LB Coach, possibly 

googles name....BSU 😬

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I guess tell me when it is acceptable to reject a hire like you with Bobo.

Where did I ever reject him? Please quote me

49 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

FWIW, average age of an FBS head coach is 50.

The average FBS on-field coaching staff is 42.5 years old. Among the Power Five, the average on-field staff is 44.2 years old.

I love facts and analysis. Thank you!

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

has passed Mason by.

I am with you on this one, I love the guy, just a little hesitant to say he is a great defensive mind. However, I do think he will have a chip on his shoulder to show what he can do where he has talent. I don't think they could have found a better guy though. Love his ability to connect with players, his mindset and his drive.  I don't get paid the big bucks to coach so will trust Harsin and the others that were coaches that were actively recruiting him from the league. I will say to make the hire while other schools were already in play for him says a lot about the ability of Coach Harsin and it must say a lot that Mason trusts in his ability to coach at Auburn. War Damn Eagle. 110% support and excited to know that I will be proved wrong in the months and years that follow. 

Don’t love this hire, but don’t hate it either. His defenses at Stanford were good, but that was several years ago in a depleted pac 12. His defenses and recruiting were not good at Vandy. But it’s Vandy. Also, not a huge fan of the base 3-4, but most teams don’t use base packages much anymore anyway. We could’ve done much worse than Mason.

Certainly could’ve been a lot worse! Was so afraid it was gonna be another Boise State or maybe a Hawaii Rainbow hire.

Good hire!

Archived