DC: Derek Mason

AUGunsmith

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Amazing that some think coaches just forget how to coach. 

Experience and wisdom doesn't mean much too some.  Glad people can hire you not based on age.........but it does exist.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Amazing that some think coaches just forget how to coach. 

I think some AU fans have become so accustomed to us digging in the bottom of the barrel for a coach that they refuse to believe we actually hired a top tier coach lol 

19 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Don’t love this hire, but don’t hate it either. His defenses at Stanford were good, but that was several years ago in a depleted pac 12. His defenses and recruiting were not good at Vandy. But it’s Vandy. Also, not a huge fan of the base 3-4, but most teams don’t use base packages much anymore anyway. We could’ve done much worse than Mason.

I love the 3-4, as long as you get tough ILB and speed and rush outside LBs.

Ofc, it is true in most cases it's all about using hybrids and safeties bc of all the passing...

I am sure Harsin did his homework, and talked to people familiar wih Mason. I think he is definitely a motivator, and you need that in your DC and defensive coaches...

Deal is done: Mason to be Auburn's defensive coordinator

21 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama – The deal is done. Former Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason will be Auburn’s next defensive coordinator.

Auburn sources tell Auburn Undercover that Mason has signed a letter of agreement. An announcement is expected soon, perhaps as early as today. Mason will replace Kevin Steele, Auburn’s defensive coordinator for the past five seasons. Auburn will owe Steele the final two years of his contract,, a total of $5 million. Should Steele take another job, what Auburn owes him will be mitigated.

Mike Bobo has also agreed to become Auburn’s offensive coordinator and Will Friend the offensive line coach as first-year head coach Bryan Harsin puts his staff together.

Mason spent seven seasons as Vanderbilt’s head coach, going 27-66 and taking two teams to bowl games. He moved to Vanderbilt from Stanford, where he built a reputation as a top defensive coordinator.

As defensive coordinator at Stanford, Mason’s defenses were among the Pac-12’s best. His defense was 11th in the nation, allowing 19.0 points per game, and 16th, allowing 343.5 yards, in 2013, the Cardinal was 10th nationally, allowing 17.2 points per game, and 20th, allowing 336.2 yards, in 2012.

22COMMENTS

From 2007-2009, Mason coached defensive backs for the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings. His resume follows:

1994 Mesa CC (WR); 1995–1996  Weber State (WR); 1997–1998 Idaho State (RB); 1999–2001 Bucknell (DB); 2002 Utah (WR/ST); 2003 St. Mary's (AHC/Co-DC); 2004 New Mexico State (WR); 2005–2006 Ohio (WR); 2007–2009 Minnesota Vikings (DB); 2010 Stanford (DB); 2011 Stanford (AHC/Co-DC/DB); 2012–2013 Stanford (AHC/DC); 2014–2020 Vanderbilt (HC).

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Where did I ever reject him? Please quote me

Must have deleted that post I swore I saw.  Maybe a glitch.

I’ve liked Mason since he was hired by Vandy.  He seems genuine and inspiring when he speaks. I hope the motivational fit is a good one and he will be here long enough to establish what Harsin is trying to build.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Man, I haven’t thought about using that excuse, very good.  Can I steal it?

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I love the 3-4, as long as you get tough ILB and speed and rush outside LBs.

Ofc, it is true in most cases it's all about using hybrids and safeties bc of all the passing...

I am sure Harsin did his homework, and talked to people familiar wih Mason. I think he is definitely a motivator, and you need that in your DC and defensive coaches...

Mason uses a combination of 3 and 4 man fronts.  Not strictly a 3-4.  This from Mason in an interview on YouTube.

We can finally recruit big linebackers! We can finally stop all the dumb want to be different crap and focus on being good!

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No, you are just wrong

3 minutes ago, USATiger said:

For once, I feel like we are winning in the coaching department, not settling.  Feels damn good!!

I bet a lot of Auburn people like Harsin a lot more today than yesterday, at least those that wanted it right now instead of done right.

Now we can sell early playing time and development to offensive and defensive recruits!

5 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

T Rob still possible for the DBs?

I haven’t heard any DB Coach preferences for Harsin so hopefully he’ll want at least 1 or 2 Auburn men on staff, and T-Rob would be about as good a get as anyone.

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

51 is pretty young from my perspective. 

I'm 58, and in my prime😁

Me too @Eagle-1. I’m 56 and still get around pretty d@!# good. Not much I can’t do now than I did back then. I do like to be in bed by 10 though. 😁

1 minute ago, WVR said:

Me too @Eagle-1. I’m 56 and still get around pretty d@!# good. Not much I can’t do now than I did back then. I do like to be in bed by 10 though. 😁

Me too brother.  Wear the same size clothes I did in high school,can  still outwork most of the twenty somethings, but dang I get sleepy earlier, and my feet hurt too much now.😁

Archived