OL Coach: Will Friend

W.E.D

Thoughts?  He's definitely been around the SEC

One positive, this man below is about to hit the transfer portal.

https://247sports.com/player/wanya-morris-46036482/

UPDATED: CONFIRMED

Welcome to The Plains Will Friend - Offensive Line Coach

Will Friend has been named Auburn’s offensive line coach, head coach Bryan Harsin announced Thursday. Friend spent the previous three seasons as the offensive line coach at Tennessee and, prior to that, was the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Colorado State.

“I’m happy to welcome Coach Friend to our staff here at Auburn,” Harsin said. “We both strongly believe that winning the line of scrimmage is one of the most important parts of a successful football team. His offensive lines have a history of being physically and mentally tough. We’re excited to have Will join the Auburn family.”

While at Tennessee, the Philadelphia, Miss. native mentored two-time All-SEC first team lineman Trey Smith. In 2019, UT offensive linemen Wanya Morris and Darnell Wright were both selected to the Freshman All-SEC squad, while Morris was tabbed a Freshman All-American.

Friend came to Tennessee after a three-year stint (2015-17) as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Colorado State. In 2017, he led an offense that ranked 11th in the nation in total offense at 492.5 yards per game. Colorado State’s 33.4 points per game in 2017 led the conference and ranked 31st in the nation.

“I want to thank Coach Harsin for the opportunity to join his staff at Auburn,” Friend said. “I’ve coached against Coach Harsin and have always had so much respect for him and the culture he created within his program. Auburn is a special place and I have great regard for the Auburn football program, the university, and the incredible passion of the Auburn family. I’m excited to join something special at Auburn with Coach Harsin and the staff.”

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/1/7/football-will-friend-named-offensive-line-coach-at-auburn.aspx

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeeesh.   Friend has a toxic rep on Vol forums...they are literally throwing a party that he is gone.  I dont like this hire at. all.

Given our struggles,  we really needed a home-run hire here.  This is really really really not it.

He has proven to be a really good recruiter at Tenn. I did not watch enough Tenn last year to comment on his O-Line but I thought I read they had issues pass blocking not sure about that.  Whether he is a candidate or not Wanya Morris would be a great pickup in transfer portal. He would be an instant starter.

I am all for whoever our new O-Line coach is that if Morris really does go to Portal that we pursue him hard.

I do not care what other fans think. We are having a party that CKS is gone, yet Michigan and UT fans seem to want him. He seems to work well with Bobo and recruits well. Cohesiveness is important along with stabilization of a program which Tennessee does not have. Coaching hires is the least of their worries.

5 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Yeeesh.   Friend has a toxic rep on Vol forums...they are literally throwing a party that he is gone.  I dont like this hire at. all.

Given our struggles,  we really needed a home-run hire here.  This is really really really not it.

Like the Vols have any idea what is a good coach or not. Probably more of a good sign they didnt like him. 

Just now, boisnumber1 said:

Like the Vols have any idea what is a good coach or not. Probably more of a good sign they didnt like him. 

I hope you and DAG are right 🙂

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

I hope you and DAG are right 🙂

Well what do you consider a homer hire? I keep hearing this phrase but no one explains it

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well what do you consider a homer hire? I keep hearing this phrase but no one explains it

a home-run hire?  for OL coach, Im not sure in this situation.   I just know that Friend, to read the forums (yeah, I know) left one step ahead of the torches and pitchforks in K.   They all agreed he was a great recruiter but failed at, ya know, actually coaching.  Hopefully thats all a misinterpretation and he'll do well here.

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

a home-run hire?  for OL coach, Im not sure in this situation.   I just know that Friend, to read the forums (yeah, I know) left one step ahead of the torches and pitchforks in K.   Hopefully thats all a misinterpretation and he'll do well here.

Wait, wait , wait. So you cannot define a homerun hire (Which admittedly you want), yet you are basing your dislike on this hire from UT fans? The same fans who were saying they would love to hire Gus if available behind Hugh Freeze?

2 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Yeeesh.   Friend has a toxic rep on Vol forums...they are literally throwing a party that he is gone.  I dont like this hire at all.

UT fans are mad about everything and everybody right now. I wouldn’t let that persuade your perceptions. 

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

Has this hire been confirmed?

I think this was just a name thrown out there for our opinion. I don't think we even know if CBH is looking at him.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Wait, wait , wait. So you cannot define a homerun hire (Which admittedly you want), yet you are basing your dislike on this hire from UT fans? The same fans who were saying they would love to hire Gus if available behind Hugh Freeze?

I admit I dont keep a list of potential OL coaches on me :)   Why do I have to 'admit' I want a home-run hire?  Doesnt everyone want that?

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

I think this was just a name thrown out there for our opinion. I don't think we even know if CBH is looking at him.

I think this is close to a done deal. 

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

definitely not true

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Cole Cubelic said it was a done deal.

Just now, EagleEye67 said:

I admit I dont keep a list of potential OL coaches on me :)   Why do I have to 'admit' I want a home-run hire?  Doesnt everyone want that?

Well, you said you wanted an homerun hire, but then said you have no clue what that looks like? You should know what you want? Lol.

"I want a hot wife, but I don't know what that looks like?" Umm...doesn't make much sense.

This is probably the best offensive line coach and OL recruiter that we have had at Auburn in the last few decades and yet our fans of course are bashing him. He has not even step foot on campus yet. Unreal. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

A home run hire at OL would be Matt Luke. And it's absolutely mind blowing that Gus didn't even call him after Grimes left. So now he's in Athens making the rich richer. 

Outside of him, I'd be surprised if many people could come up with many home run names. But I think @bigbird has a short list of names that would make most of us  go "Huh?" but that he would consider home runs. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

It's a hire that's a home run

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well, you said you wanted an homerun hire, but then said you have no clue what that looks like? You should know what you want? Lol.

"I want a hot wife, but I don't know what that looks like?" Umm...doesn't make much sense.

OK, I surrender, I got it.   I would only know by reputation and to me, Friends reputation on actually coaching doesn't seem that great.  Hopefully I'm wildly mistaken.   I very much hope so.

Archived