the plot thickens............holy cow

aubiefifty

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

You make a good point. The rhetoric from the radical Republican right has over the years become the rhetoric of the Republican mainstream (extremist) base. They don't talk about Democrats as their honorable opponents of differing opinion. They talk about Democrats as actually evil and enemies of America. They talk as if they are at war. And that talk influences attitudes and behavior. It's essentially fascism.

Can you show examples on this board where the conservatives are calling the liberals "bad people" and "deplorable", etc?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

You make a good point. The rhetoric from the radical Republican right has over the years become the rhetoric of the Republican mainstream (extremist) base. They don't talk about Democrats as their honorable opponents of differing opinion. They talk about Democrats as actually evil and enemies of America. They talk as if they are at war. And that talk influences attitudes and behavior. It's essentially fascism.

Very early on in trump's presidency, I pointed out to someone close to me that trump was trying to convince his supporters that the media is public enemy #1. This person- very well-educated, well-traveled, exceptionally intelligent, and seemingly very stable, and having ostensibly dedicated his entire adult life to the defense of our Constitution and representative democracy- responded, "I'm beginning to think he's right." He, like most of the GOP, has only traveled further down that mine shaft since. (Fortunately he at least understands that trump lost the election and that the terrorists that stormed the capitol were wrong to do so.)

6 hours ago, Grumps said:

Can you show examples on this board where the conservatives are calling the liberals "bad people" and "deplorable", etc?

Grumps, there are examples. 
Now, whether anyone cares to point them out.... 

19 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Grumps, there are examples. 
Now, whether anyone cares to point them out.... 

I agree with with you. There are examples. But at least lately, the conservatives are more likely to call out individual behavior while the liberals are more likely to use a much wider brush. Of course, they would say that they only say that because everyone on the right IS a bad person so there is nothing wrong with calling us out on it.

13 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I agree with with you. There are examples. But at least lately, the conservatives are more likely to call out individual behavior while the liberals are more likely to use a much wider brush. Of course, they would say that they only say that because everyone on the right IS a bad person so there is nothing wrong with calling us out on it.

I would hope by now that some would start calming down and realizing that throwing verbal hand grenades doesnt work with grownups. There are 330M People in this nation and they have 330M Opinions on what is right. There are indeed a few monolithic organizations out there. But as a rule of thumb, they are probably smaller AND LIKELY even Kookier than we will ever know. 

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I would hope by now that some would start calming down and realizing that throwing verbal hand grenades doesnt work with grownups. There are 330M People in this nation and they have 330M Opinions on what is right. There are indeed a few monolithic organizations out there. But as a rule of thumb, they are probably smaller AND LIKELY even Kookier than we will ever know. 

Just so we are clear, I was talking in the post above about how it is on this forum. Here, throwing verbal hand grenades has been working quite well. People who don't have the "correct" ideology hardly post here anymore because they are not allowed to have a serious discussion without being called names and cussed at. They are smarter than I am so they left.

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Very early on in trump's presidency, I pointed out to someone close to me that trump was trying to convince his supporters that the media is public enemy #1. This person- very well-educated, well-traveled, exceptionally intelligent, and seemingly very stable, and having ostensibly dedicated his entire adult life to the defense of our Constitution and representative democracy- responded, "I'm beginning to think he's right." He, like most of the GOP, has only traveled further down that mine shaft since. (Fortunately he at least understands that trump lost the election and that the terrorists that stormed the capitol were wrong to do so.)

That’s 15 years late. Didn’t start with Trump.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:56 AM, CleCoTiger said:

They don't talk about Democrats as their honorable opponents of differing opinion. They talk about Democrats as actually evil and enemies of America. They talk as if they are at war. And that talk influences attitudes and behavior. It's essentially fascism.

That is literally the exact same thing people on the left say about people on the right.

It's a viscous cycle that will never break because people, on both sides, care more about their side "winning" than what's best for the nation and are too closed off to think that their ideas might just not be what's best at the time.  When was the last time we saw any type of compromise?

On 1/17/2021 at 9:38 AM, bigbird said:

That is literally the exact same thing people on the left say about people on the right.

Well, yes, because the right just launched a literal attack on democracy. 

It's unbelievable that you continue with the false equivalencies. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Well, yes, because the right just launched a literal attack on democracy. 

It's unbelievable that you continue with the false equivalencies. 

It's unbelievable you refuse or are unable to see the actual equivalencies

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's unbelievable you refuse or unable to see the actual equivalencies

When did I say there aren't any

You just can't admit that there are differences. And that dangerous and careless coddling has done as much to get us where we are today as any mean, condescending words from the left. 

Jesus Christ, dude. They attacked our nation's Capitol and people died. One side is worse than the other and they'll stay that way as long as people like you keep saying "but the Left".  

On 1/18/2021 at 9:42 AM, bigbird said:

It's unbelievable you refuse or are unable to see the actual equivalencies

This is the issue - the "big lie" - that fundamentally differentiates Republicans and Democrats:

Trump initiated and fostered the big lie (even before the election) and that is the single substantive source of the current division and conflict.  Trump is the Republican party.

3 in 4 Republicans Don't Think Joe Biden Won Election Legitimately: Poll

Three in four Republicans believe that Joe Biden did not legitimately win the November 2020 presidential election, a new poll has found.

GOP supporters' lack of confidence in the election results has been fueled by Donald Trump and Republican lawmakers continuously pushing unfounded claims of voter fraud.

Judges across the U.S. have been throwing out swathes of legal suits filed by Trump's team in a bid to overthrow the results, saying there is not sufficient evidence to indicate widespread election fraud. However, Trump supporters continue to peddle the claims, leading to an angry mob storming Capitol Hill on January 6.

Self-identified Republicans are now less likely to have confidence in American elections than Democrats, according to new data......

https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-joe-biden-won-election-legitimately-poll-1562343

On 1/17/2021 at 8:38 AM, bigbird said:

And THAT is literally BS. I'm not a Democrat but in no way does the rhetoric of Democrats from the leadership on down come anywhere close to that of the Republican Party from the leadership on down for years and years.

4 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

And THAT is literally BS. I'm not a Democrat but in no way does the rhetoric of Democrats from the leadership on down come anywhere close to that of the Republican Party from the leadership on down for years and years.

Hillary called some Republicans 'deplorables' 5 years ago and they still can't let that go. Trump, Hawley, Cruz, etc use that type of incendiary  and hyperbolic language on a near daily basis. 

YES, some democrats are BAD PEOPLE and use BAD LANGAGE. There is a big difference between something that a few single members of one party does and the other side's actual LEADERSHIP doing it constantly. 

Having 5 people on one side doing something wrong is not a good justification for 1,000 people on the other side to do the same thing. 

On 1/13/2021 at 9:46 AM, Leftfield said:

Nope, I understand where you're coming from, and agree no excuses need to be made for the rioters' actions. The hardcore supporters need to feel the pain they've earned.

In terms of the more moderate supporters, the attitude that they are not good people will do nothing positive for either side. 

My mother and sister supported Trump.  They are not bad people.  Gullible maybe, but not bad. ;)

Frankly I have avoided politics altogether with them.  I am very curious if their support has now changed, but am too afraid to ask.

I blame Fox.

12 minutes ago, homersapien said:

My mother and sister supported Trump.  They are not bad people.  Gullible maybe, but not bad. ;)

Frankly I have avoided politics altogether with them.  I am very curious if their support has now changed, but am too afraid to ask.

I blame Fox.

Was the same with my dad for a long time. He has been staunchly left since the late 90s, and I hated talking politics with him because there were many things economic we would disagree on. I would always avoid it because he would rarely focus on the things we agreed on, but he would always try to weasel it into conversation somehow. 

At least now, and for the past four years, really, we've had quite a bit more common ground, so I can find some enjoyment talking to him about politics again.

Hey, look at that! I found a positive about Trump!

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Found out I have a nephew that voted for Biden. He is not a bad young man. Dating a girl that is a democrat, but not bad.

My parents voted for Trump along with most of my family. I didn't.....but I didn't vote for Biden either. 

Texas thinks I'm a cultist along with Dub. Now my parents might fit that mold more than I. By a lot. lol

Archived