Ryan Pugh

TigerHorn

Fired(?) by Baylor one day after they hired him? What gives? He apparently did a great job as OC/OL coach at Troy. 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TigerHorn said:

Fired(?) by Baylor one day after they hired him? What gives? He apparently did a great job as OC/OL coach at Troy. 

I read they found something in his background they did not like (al.com) but did not say what

6 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I read they found something in his background they did not like (al.com) but did not say what

There's a photo of him in black face floating around. Believe it was from his college years. 

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

There's a photo of him in black face floating around. Believe it was from his college years. 

People make mistakes . That’s damn ridiculous if true . 

22 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Coming from Baylor in particular, it makes sense.  I suspect they want to take no chances on potential controversy.

27 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Being racist isn't a mistake, it's always intentional and a character flaw. Anyone with this flaw should not be leaders.

28 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

True but Baylor isn't exactly in a position where they can have any coach w/o a squeaky clean resume.

Geez I’d hate to be held accountable for things I did when I was very young, but I’m old and there were not cell phones everywhere.  But I am willing to bet anyone has at least one something they would not want the world to know. 

3 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

True but Baylor isn't exactly in a position where they can have any coach w/o a squeaky clean resume.

I get it , but nobody is Lilly white as Pat Dye would say . He deserves a great job that’s all 

It was the pic. Lindsey met with the Oline tonight and asked how they’d feel about him being back at Troy. They said they would be cool with it. So, he may be headed back to Troy. But, CL has to watch his step now too, so we will see.

24 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Being racist isn't a mistake, it's always intentional and a character flaw. Anyone with this flaw should not be leaders.

I’m glad you’re not God—He at least applies grace and forgiveness.

34 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I respectfully disagree.  People can change and no one should suffer a lifetime of punishment for anything but the worst of crimes.  

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Yep. Took me 10 seconds to find it on Google. Posted November 22nd of 2010, so it looks like it was from a 2010 Halloween party. His date went as Kim Kardashian, Pugh went as Kardashian's then boyfriend then New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush.

Kudos for Lindsey handling it the right way.

51 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

You never had a motivational speaker come to your school? I remember a few that came to my school and they had some dark pasts that they shared. H3ll, even had a coach that admitted he screwed up his marriage....I'd say that was a chracter flaw too but he learned from it and I learned from it too.

53 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

It is a mistake if they can learn from it. If they choose to stay stupid then I agree they should never be in a position of leadership. If they learn and overcome it they can be better leaders knowing the pain and hurt it causes. 

50 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

From the poster who has Kenny Powers as a profile name and profile pic! 😂😂😂Have you watched East bound and down? The third season .... watched it much? GTFO here. 

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

Well, sometimes young people need a little maturity to put things they were often taught and learned growing up behind them. I'm 59 years old. Moved to Selma in the early 1970's. My own dad at that time was a stone cold racist. And like a lot of boys, I followed my dad. By the time I was in my early teens I began questioning things I had "learned" from him and by the time I was in senior high I rejected racist nonsense for what it is and was. Not excusing Pugh here but it may just be that it took him more time than it did me to understand the seriousness and the wrongness. I wouldn't judge him for the rest of his life on the basis of something he did as a young man in college as long as it did not involve a crime of violence or sexual assault or other felony. But that's just me.

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

Easy on there on the judgements.  First, I’ve never worn blackface, so I don’t want to be accused of anything, but depending on when it happened and what the context was doesn’t necessarily mean it was a racist act. It easily could have a lapse of judgement, poor sense of humor, or bad taste.  People are very quick in this day and age to assign character labels based on limited info or stereotypes, which is ironic because it is essentially the same thing as racism.  

Eddy Murphy did a skit where he wore “whiteface” on Saturday Night Live - is he a racist too?   

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Seems like his blackface picture made it to the Baylor AD.  He may no longer be employed at Baylor.  

2 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Trying and convicting someone for life you don't even know is a character flaw. It's called ignorance. You can fix it, if you decide to. 

3 hours ago, meh130 said:

Yep. Took me 10 seconds to find it on Google. Posted November 22nd of 2010, so it looks like it was from a 2010 Halloween party. His date went as Kim Kardashian, Pugh went as Kardashian's then boyfriend then New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush.

Kudos for Lindsey handling it the right way.

I don't see that as racist. There's nothing racist about it.

I'll lean on my now passed Dad.

Dad voted for George Wallace in 1968. I'll not lie, the N word was common in my house from the dinner table to picking childhood teammates. It was how I grew up in the early 60s. Dad believed in Wallace and what he stood for......

And things changed. My Dad was a union man, a leader in the state union and eventually a lower level executive in the national union of a very large nationwide union. Along the way, he worked with black men, they became friends, I dated the daughter of one his friends for several months and we're still in contact to this day. Dad changed. He grew. He shed a lot of his upbringing.

In 2008, Dad was an old man. It was his last Presidential vote. He chose Obama. I chose McCain. We wrangled. We argued. We fussed. I'm the end, "I believe he's the best man."

Y'all never knew my Dad, but if a man can go from Wallace to Obama...... people can change.

Archived