Football Performance Center

RunInRed

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@woodford most schools are going to football only facilities. Putting all or most sports wouldn't have much of or any affect for the other sports. Getting us a FOF allows us to get the sports that are relegated to the ancient BE Colliseum now into the Athletic Complex.

Are they still going to use the BE after moving to the Ath. Complex. Or just tear it down

57 minutes ago, woodford said:

How many schools would have something like this?

Most everyone except AU.  Auburn is way behind the curve here.  Almost all the big SEC schools have football only facilities.  AU's football team has to share their facility with all other sports. Despite this shortcoming, AU has some other nice stuff which is good enough for 24/7 to rank AU 15th nationally.

The following is from 24/7 sports and is based on their rankings.

Bama has a football only facility and are ranked 6th nationally.  On top of that, Bama has declared they will spend $600 million over the next few years across all sports with the intention of being #1 (across all sports).

LSU has had a football only complex for a while but just spent $48 million to remodel it. A lot of the money was donated by former player Tyrone Mathieu. LSU is ranked 7th nationally in football facilities.

UT has a huge football complex that is considered one of the best in the league. UT also plans on spending over $300 million to update Neyland stadium. Right now UT is ranked 9th nationally in football facilities.

Texas A&M has some really swanky football facilities. They've had a football only facility for a long time, but spent a ton of money in 2014 remodeling it. 24/7 ranks them 3rd nationally in football facilities.

Kentucky just spent many millions on a new football only facility, good enough to rank them 12th nationally (and ahead of AU).

South Carolina just built a new football only facility dedicated by the very rich Long family.  This is good enough to be ranked 5th nationally. Yes, USCe is ranked ahead of Bama, LSU, AU, UT in facilities right now.

Florida is behind like AU.  However, Florida just started construction on their $65 million football facility which will be done by the end of this year or perhaps a bit into 2022. So this will put them a year or so ahead of AU. Right now UF is ranked 25th, but this will assuredly put them firmly in the top 10.

Clemson is ranked #1 nationally in football facilities as they have that crazy football complex that Dabo got built.  Oregon is #2 (Nike money built them some nice toys).

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Are they still going to use the BE after moving to the Ath. Complex. Or just tear it down

Damn, BE was awful when I was in school and that was 30 years ago. It was great for indoor running or running stairs (yes, back in the day I could just walk in with student ID and run the stairs), just terrible for basketball lol. . Be nice if they tore it down for parking or, even better, a nice green space 

Edited by fredst
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, fredst said:

Damn, BE was awful when I was in school and that was 30 years ago. It was great for indoor running or running stairs (yes, back in the day I could just walk in with student I’d and run the stairs), just terrible for basketball lol. . Be nice if they tore it down for parking or, even better, a nice green space 

Try 50 years ago but its was a great place to meet girls while they walked the concourse but that concert gave me skin splits

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Dont you dare say anything bad about a 1997 80's series LandCruiser, haha. (Hint: Username if that doesnt make sense)

Haha I would never. The day I can have a second vehicle I’m getting an older Land Cruiser. They’re so sick. 

• Love 1

Northwestern has a really nice looking FOF.   They went pretty big.  

I do not think it needs to be way out from the campus mold, except on the corners that face the roads.  It should not look like a back of he building even if it is.  

Coming to AU from Wire Road you come over the “hill” and you see JHS... it used to really stir the juices.   Now imagine rolling down Wire Rd to Samford Ave and you get to the red light.   You sitting at that intersection.   How awesome should that corner look with an eye popping curb appeal of a FOF.  

add some tinted glass or something,  an Auburn Orange tint or something.   

Just my opinion.  

On 1/8/2021 at 9:03 AM, fishepa said:

Where are the student tennis courts going to go?

They're putting new ones in at the old rugby field by West Campus Parking.

I wish I could find a version on which I could read all the text labels.  I’m having a hard time getting excited about it.  I mean, it’s nice but I expected more......I don’t know.....pizazzz, I guess.

The one entrance with a lot of glass looks like it could be eye catching.  I’d like to see the entrance at one of the intersections full of glass and maybe something like a neon or spotlighted AU rotating or a gigantic AU helmet.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Haha I would never. The day I can have a second vehicle I’m getting an older Land Cruiser. They’re so sick. 

When you start looking for one join ih8mud.com. There is a wealth of info on that site and many enthusiasts across the country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aub4life said:

I wish I could find a version on which I could read all the text labels.  I’m having a hard time getting excited about it.  I mean, it’s nice but I expected more......I don’t know.....pizazzz, I guess.

The one entrance with a lot of glass looks like it could be eye catching.  I’d like to see the entrance at one of the intersections full of glass and maybe something like a neon or spotlighted AU rotating or a gigantic AU helmet.....

The outside is underwhelming.  However, Bama's and UT's are both boring looking brick too.  UGA's look kinda cool with a lot of glasswork on the outside (though I'm not sure it is football only -- it might be, not sure). Florida is building theirs right now, they were pretty far behind everyone.

Florida's looks like a Disney Resort with a cabana pool and basketball courts. Ours looks like the low budget model. I really expected more flash. 

• 2 weeks later...

Football Performance Center is going before the Board next month for final approval. Page 20 of the attached board materials gives more insight on the center.

233,400 square feet, $91.9 million budget, completion expected July 2022.

There are better renderings attached. I was underwhelmed with the initial look, but these renderings have me a little more excited. 

materials-20210205.pdf (auburn.edu)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AU13HSV said:

Football Performance Center is going before the Board next month for final approval. Page 20 of the attached board materials gives more insight on the center.

There are better renderings attached. I was underwhelmed with the initial look, but these renderings have me a little more excited. 

Link isn't working

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, AU13HSV said:

If you can find a working link I'd greatly appreciate it. Would love to feel a little more optimistic about this facility. 

15 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

So same pictures from Page 1.

It’s the latest release. Could be 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

If you can find a working link I'd greatly appreciate it. Would love to feel a little more optimistic about this facility. 

Sorry, It looks like it was uploaded to the BOE site by mistake and their link has been removed. I have a copy of the PDF, but not sure how to upload here without a good link. 

• Like 1

AU_FB_DS.png.deae8188b78bdb4965d95b98e0fe17b5.png

The prior drawings and illustrations were really misleading. It really looks a lot more like this when complete. Projecting strength and power. Impressive from any viewing angle. All hail Lord Harsin!

Just don’t let a football roll into it’s undefended exhaust duct: it will easily explode. Go figure.

Edited by AUx
Careful around undefended exhaust ducts.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hanger deck provides space for two Gulfstreams or one Millenium Falcon.

0162563D-47B5-4240-BD42-E36531EFD02B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AUx said:

AU_FB_DS.png.deae8188b78bdb4965d95b98e0fe17b5.png

The prior drawings and illustrations were really misleading. It really looks a lot more like this when complete. Projecting strength and power. Impressive from any viewing angle. All hail Lord Harsin!

Just don’t let a football roll into it’s undefended exhaust duct: it will easily explode. Go figure.

This will be useful in protecting the Toomer’s oaks from any future nefarious Updyke-ish incidents.

• Like 1

Is ours going to have a McDonald’s in it like Tennessee has?  Asking for a friend. 

• Haha 2