Football Performance Center

RunInRed

On 1/28/2021 at 9:10 AM, RunInRed said:

Interesting to see the price tag crest $90M ... I believe $65M was an earlier number being used.

au performance center

5ff8a2b2ebea7.image.jpg?resize=750%2C330

image.png

image.png

Oregon's new facility was 68 million. I don't remember that number being mentioned regarding our new facility. 

Auburn University’s Football Performance Center construction bid awarded for $64.6 million

Four prequalified contractors recently submitted bids for Auburn University’s Football Performance Center. Rabren General Contractors, based in Auburn, was determined to be the lowest and responsible bidder and awarded the $64.6 million contract to construct the center.

Construction will include a 233,400-square-foot overall facility consisting of a 138,100-square-foot football operations building, a 95,300-square-foot indoor practice facility and two full-sized, natural turf football practice fields.

“This bid is a result of a lot of effort by the design team using target value design and continuous estimating to align scope with budget; and providing clear construction documents while giving bidders an appropriate bid schedule. All contributed to the project coming in on budget,” said Simon Yendle, Auburn assistant vice president for Planning, Design and Construction.

In January, the Auburn University Board of Trustees approved a $91.9 million total project budget for the center that will be located on the site of the old Hutsell Track on the corner of West Samford Avenue and Wire Road.

“The site is prepped and ready for construction,” said David Bess, campus architect and design lead for the Football Performance Center. “The building contract with Rabren is being finalized, and we should be starting construction the first weeks of March. The project’s design team and site work contractors have worked hard to meet our deadlines to date. We had an aggressive schedule that was met, and we will maintain this momentum as we start work with Rabren.”

In addition to the center’s contract, the overall budget includes a $3.9 million site works package, which prepared the land and installed infrastructure to support the new facility.

It also includes a $2.1 million tennis courts relocation package. This will allow the university to relocate the tennis courts to the corner of Hemlock Drive and West Thach Avenue. This construction package will build 11 tennis and eight pickleball courts. It is scheduled for completion this summer.

The remaining $21.3 million includes architectural and engineering services, furnishing, equipment purchases, contingency and other construction-related support line items.

The center is scheduled for completion fall 2022.

79E2AE5A-ACC9-484A-A83F-5BBAE887DD6C.jpeg

http://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2021/03/051109-football-performance-center.php?nlan

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Is pickleball really that popular?

It's the bread and butter of the athletic department. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

It's the bread and butter of the athletic department. 

Sounds kosher to me

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Sounds kosher to me

It’s the real dill. 😝 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yes. My son works for AO Tourism in the sports area, and he is telling me all the time how popular Pickle ball is and still growing, and especially in the AUburn/Opelika area...where they have a 12 court complex i think. 

p.s. And I hate pickles...my kids will attest to that.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:14 AM, Win4AU said:

Maybe I’m creeping into old man territory in my late 30s but I read about these new centers being put up around college football and half the stuff leaves me shaking my head.  2 recording studios and a flight simulator?  I know Twill had his thing going but do we have that many aspiring artists that a studio is going to get used let alone 2?  Do NFL teams have this stuff at their facilities?  Is this really what it takes to get high end recruits or are these just vanity projects to say look at us?  Based on what Auburn has already done to the basketball arena is the University going to have to shell out millions more in 5 years to revamp it?  I love Auburn Sports but some of this stuff is nutty.

as a cat who made his first dollar playing music in a band in 78 i would bet my house the recording studio will be extremely popular. kids are all about their music today and to take a jam someone made with freestyle rapping to a party gives instant cred unless it sucks and then there is the laughter factor. this surprises me they are going to do this but it excites me because i have been around enough music and music production companies to know who huge this is going to be.

This thread is making me crave “Wicked Pickles “!! 😝 

I'm all for building the facility. That said, the price tag is incredibly inflated.  There is absolutely no reason that Clemson can build what is said to be the best in the nation for under $54 million and a comparable facility costs us over $90 million. Somebody is making bank. The cost of materials has risen over the past 4 years, but nobody can make an argument with a straight face that the cost has risen to the tune of nearly $40 million.

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm really despondent that there won't be facilities for Bocce Ball, Croquet, Lawn Darts, Badminton, and especially Corn Hole.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I'm all for building the facility. That said, the price tag is incredibly inflated.  There is absolutely no reason that Clemson can build what is said to be the best in the nation for under $54 million and a comparable facility costs us over $90 million. Somebody is making bank. The cost of materials has risen over the past 4 years, but nobody can make an argument with a straight face that the cost has risen to the tune of nearly $40 million.

I am a manufacturers’ rep, and I most certainly can tell you building materials have risen that much.  Take copper for example.  Paying $50 for a roll of copper building wire 4 years ago will now cost you $120.  Just last year I bought some lumber for $3.83 a board, and now that same board sells for $7.71.  Now you could argue how Auburn should have built sooner, and that would be a valid argument. 

Also, how does the size of Auburn’s facility compare to Clemson’s? I don’t think I have seen that comparison anywhere?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T1gerStripes said:

I am a manufacturers’ rep, and I most certainly can tell you building materials have risen that much.  Take copper for example.  Paying $50 for a roll of copper building wire 4 years ago will now cost you $120.  Just last year I bought some lumber for $3.83 a board, and now that same board sells for $7.71.  Now you could argue how Auburn should have built sooner, and that would be a valid argument. 

Also, how does the size of Auburn’s facility compare to Clemson’s? I don’t think I have seen that comparison anywhere?  

We can all go round and round about the cost of materials, but those costs will also be coming down somewhat over the next 12 to 24 months.  I hesitate to assume that we have built in adjustments to account for that inevitability. For example, if we contracted based on $7.71 and the actual cost comes in at $4.25, that is significant. I laugh at myself for even being concerned over the cost.  We have and will continue to spend money as though it is only paper. The fact that many people don't see $92 million as being a substantial amount of money is just par for the course.

6 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

We can all go round and round about the cost of materials, but those costs will also be coming down somewhat over the next 12 to 24 months.  I hesitate to assume that we have built in adjustments to account for that inevitability. For example, if we contracted based on $7.71 and the actual cost comes in at $4.25, that is significant. I laugh at myself for even being concerned over the cost.  We have and will continue to spend money as though it is only paper. The fact that many people don't see $92 million as being a substantial amount of money is just par for the course.

The $92 includes the new tennis courts complex as well? the actual football facility is $61 plus prep work of $3-4. So when you compare that to clemsons $54 its much more in the ballpark

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

The $92 includes the new tennis courts complex as well? the actual football facility is $61 plus prep work of $3-4. So when you compare that to clemsons $54 its much more in the ballpark

That does make more sense.

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

It is a substantial amount of money.  Never said it wasn’t.  Although, AU football brings a lot of money to the table, and it’s not like AU can’t pay for it.  Unfortunately, $92M is par for the course in the college football arms race.  Just wait till AU has to do improvements to the stadium.  $92M will seem like a drop in the bucket.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I was thinking that I read where the project has moved forward past the original Area of Magnitude estimate to next phase (which is much closer estimate/plan) and cost had moved down significantly.

whats up with the pickle ball? i have never heard of it. i also want to know what is up with ell and the pickle suit but i am nervous asking. grins

10 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Those estimates include contingencies also ( which may not be realized).

19 hours ago, T1gerStripes said:

The Clemson facility was going to be around 157,000 sq ft while ours is around 140,000 sq ft. Where our costs increased is the addition of the practice fields and also paying for the tennis complex being moved. I think Clemson's was only the facility and that was 5 years ago when they got their estimate...

So i think we are all comparable.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

The Clemson facility was going to be around 157,000 sq ft while ours is around 140,000 sq ft. Where our costs increased is the addition of the practice fields and also paying for the tennis complex being moved. I think Clemson's was only the facility and that was 5 years ago when they got their estimate...

So i think we are all comparable.

Thanks for the info.  Sounds about right.  Swap a few square feet for practice fields and tennis complex.  We might be getting a better deal considering the inflation and those extras?