Men vs. UAT

penguin149

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

They play the same position but no his style isn't anything like morant. Ja is an athletic freak, probably won't see too many like him. It was just one game I'm waiting to see more but if I was to go off that one game he's more like a Chris Paul. I'm hoping if he adds a little more control and if he could be a great finisher around the basket his ceiling could be a kyrie Irving type

Of course he's not as good as those guys but just comparing styles of play and talking potential. 

I mentioned earlier those Oops passes reminded me a lot of Chris Paul.  

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Is that who Sharife reminds folks of?

Man! He is fun to watch.  Smooooooth.  Makes it look easy.

Sorry we lost, but way more fun game to watch.

I don't watch a whole lot of bball outside of Auburn so i'm not the best at player compares. But my initial knee jerk comparison is Trae Young minus Sharife has not yet shown the insane range that Trae had. Both are smaller guards that rely on cat like quickness to get around people. Booth have smooth handles and can do things with the bball that looks like magic tricks. And booth will pass TO any point on the floor FROM any point on the floor while going full speed.

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

No I don’t think so. @cole256could speak more about that and more intelligently than I. Morant was NBA ROY last year and I think he was more just admiring Sharief’s showing. Ja is more of a slasher/created 2 if I’m not mistaken. I believe I read somewhere that KD was also admiring Sharief’s play on social media. Sharief, in my opinion, has the chance to be a watershed moment for AUburn baseball. If he can continue to play at the level he did yesterday and improve, which he most certainly will, he could have the chance to have a retired jersey, statue, and banner at AUburn.  

Oh actually a closer comparison could be darius Garland....coop would really have to work on his jump shot of course but that's a much closer level that he can reach than the others. Lot of people don't know too much about him because he got hurt early in his only year at Vanderbilt. I watched him alot in high school. That year I had a post where I said ja morant him and I think Melo ball were all pro players soon.....and look at them now!

If coop shows that he can shoot it would practically make him uncoverable. Because you have to respect his jump shot so you have to play him close and that would make it much easier for him to get around his man and also open up lanes.

Harper was the opposite when he played I would always make posts saying if he wants to be in the NBA he needs to have a bunch of assits and show he can run a team and make people better and some said I didn't know what I was talking about. People get enamored with their favorite players but you have to think what the guy does the best in college may not be what a NBA team wants or needs. 

4 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

TBH, we couldn’t really see it yesterday either, because Powell was out (arguably our best player).  Give this team a few weeks at full strength and they will be an impressive group!!!!  Tons of talent, need to work on a few things, and gel as a unit, and when that happens......Watch Out!!!

Powell has been our best player until now, but my prediction is that with Cooper at PG, Powell will become our 4th or 5th best player...and that will be a good thing. Cooper will unlock the potential of Thor and Flanagan and maybe Williams and Cardwell. So relatively speaking Powell won't be as good, but the team will be significantly better.

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

Powell has been our best player until now, but my prediction is that with Cooper at PG, Powell will become our 4th or 5th best player...and that will be a good thing. Cooper will unlock the potential of Thor and Flanagan and maybe Williams and Cardwell. So relatively speaking Powell won't be as good, but the team will be significantly better.

I agree mostly because it was amazing how quickly Thor became a force with Sharife as PG; but think of the wide open 3's Powell is going to be constantly fed...

33 minutes ago, rexbo said:

I agree mostly because it was amazing how quickly Thor became a force with Sharife as PG; but think of the wide open 3's Powell is going to be constantly fed...

We really need Powell to take the backup PG minutes so Sharife does not have to play 30 mins a game. There will be some overlap but not sure how much. 

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

Great take. Fact is with coop back we're about to see a bunch of guys knock potential. Any pecking order that we thought we had is about to get shook up. As exciting as yesterday was we didn't play good d at all. With our length we should, and I expect us to get a bunch of tips and deflections and that will turn into points. We also should be playing a little faster than we were. And lastly coop should get better as wind and just the getting acclimated in his competition. He'll get to watch film and now be able to visualize what he needs to do. 

Im sure you've seen me post about Mark Sears, I talked to him the other day and was just asking him about his emotions and what he felt when he got his first start. He said at first it's butterflies but soon it just start to feel very comfortable and your body just get in cruise control like in high school and every thing just slows down.

I expect not this next game but maybe the game after that we will be optimal.

1 hour ago, rexbo said:

Powell will be the 2nd best offensive guy simply because he is so deadly shooting the ball. Flanigan needs to concentrate on finishing at the basket because he is going to get many chances. Not going to see many man defenses now. If Coop can collapse the zone and get the ball out,:cheer:errrrrrybody gonna' shoot a 3

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

Oh actually a closer comparison could be darius Garland....coop would really have to work on his jump shot of course but that's a much closer level that he can reach than the others. Lot of people don't know too much about him because he got hurt early in his only year at Vanderbilt. I watched him alot in high school. That year I had a post where I said ja morant him and I think Melo ball were all pro players soon.....and look at them now!

If coop shows that he can shoot it would practically make him uncoverable. Because you have to respect his jump shot so you have to play him close and that would make it much easier for him to get around his man and also open up lanes.

Harper was the opposite when he played I would always make posts saying if he wants to be in the NBA he needs to have a bunch of assits and show he can run a team and make people better and some said I didn't know what I was talking about. People get enamored with their favorite players but you have to think what the guy does the best in college may not be what a NBA team wants or needs. 

I think over time I’ve realized Harper was a good bit more score first than he was pass first. Which might’ve been what that roster construction called for

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

We really need Powell to take the backup PG minutes so Sharife does not have to play 30 mins a game. There will be some overlap but not sure how much. 

I think Powell has proven he can do that. The team is going to one of the hottest in the SEC by the end of the season. Too bad we won’t be able to see them make a tournament run...

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think over time I’ve realized Harper was a good bit more score first than he was pass first. Which might’ve been what that roster construction called for

Yes we definitely needed and the actual scoring wasn't the most important thing, it was the spacing he demanded. That would be one of the points I kept harping on. It's what I was talking about what chumma and Wiley provided when people would complain about them. I felt many didn't realize just what their mere presence provided for everybody including whoever their favorite player was at the time.

Unfortunately basketball is a game where people can actually be the backbone and if people don't know the game they can't see and a player could actually never really get the credit they deserve until they are gone and then people can see when they see the game isn't as easy or the players they were holding up can't perform at a high level without the lunch pail guy. Chuma, Harper, Wiley, Horace are all guys like this. Harper really didn't deal with the fans like the other two did. If Wiley was playing yesterday we win by 15 easy....But anyway you're right. And Harper sacrificed his nba potential a little imo. He didn't get to showcase his court vision and passing ability too much. 

14 hours ago, chizhead said:

Powell will be the 2nd best offensive guy simply because he is so deadly shooting the ball. Flanigan needs to concentrate on finishing at the basket because he is going to get many chances. Not going to see many man defenses now. If Coop can collapse the zone and get the ball out,:cheer:errrrrrybody gonna' shoot a 3

One man doesn't collapse a zone and if you were worried about shooters you play a man scheme before a zone. So if know teams are worried about Powell you'll see more man. But you wouldn't be worried about one outside shooter. If it's 3 of them then you'd change your scheme

Some are saying if Powell had played we would have won that game.

I think we lost bc we didn't play strong defense.

We scored 90 points without Powell. Our transition D was turrible. 

Everytime we scored and started to comeback or took the lead later in the game, we would be lax getting back and Alabama would score quickly on transition.

Primo hurt us early and Jones hurt us late.

It's experience that showed at the end. We don't have that yet in these young pups.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

One man doesn't collapse a zone and if you were worried about shooters you play a man scheme before a zone. So if know teams are worried about Powell you'll see more man. But you wouldn't be worried about one outside shooter. If it's 3 of them then you'd change your scheme

Nobody can stay with him playing man and if he is doubled he can fins the open man. Teams will zone him to keep from driving. Wait and see

12 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Nobody can stay with him playing man and if he is doubled he can fins the open man. Teams will zone him to keep from driving. Wait and see

Teams that zone will zone and teams that don't won't. There's only about 5 people alive in earth that a team will alter their d for. They will just funnel him down to the big man. Sometimes teams want you to do that. 

People already zone us because we don't have shooters. They will welcome him driving and kicking out until we have guys that can shoot. Actually they probably will already zone us to shoot because they know we don't have any proven shooters.

But also it depends on the team itself. Alabama is a team that happened to be as long as we are so it's in their best interest to switch everything. But ok we'll see

But one man doesn't collapse a zone driving you beat a zone by passing and placement. Trying to beat it with one guy plays into the hands of the D

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Everytime we scored and started to comeback or took the lead later in the game, we would be lax getting back and Alabama would score quickly on transition.

It's experience that showed at the end. We don't have that yet in these young pups.

Defense is absolutely why we lost and Powell would've been a plus but that also means that more than likely a guy who plays better defense would've been off the court so maybe we give up some points as well.

I really wished he had played because he can shoot and he's a mismatch for smaller guards I really wanted to see him go up against guys his size. That would show his NBA potential

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I think we win with Powell available. If nothing else it allows us to rest Sharife a bit more which i think would have helped him at the end of the game. Then you add in Powells ability to score and distribute the ball and surely that would have been a net gain of more than 4 points even if we did give up some on defense with him in there. 

Also, keep in mind that we have yet to even see Powell at the position he was brought in to play and that is shooting guard. You saw how Sharife made everybody look better. I see no reason why he would not have made Powell better as well. 

8 hours ago, gravejd said:

I think we win with Powell available. If nothing else it allows us to rest Sharife a bit more which i think would have helped him at the end of the game. Then you add in Powells ability to score and distribute the ball and surely that would have been a net gain of more than 4 points even if we did give up some on defense with him in there. 

Also, keep in mind that we have yet to even see Powell at the position he was brought in to play and that is shooting guard. You saw how Sharife made everybody look better. I see no reason why he would not have made Powell better as well. 

I completely agree with you that Sharife will make Powell better as well. I love Powell. I just think we may need him less with Sharife at PG. I can't wait to see how it plays out!

Archived