Defensive Position Changes

ScotsAU

Derek Mason traditionally runs a base 3-4. So who do you guys think is likely to wind up where?

Id assume the Bucks move to OLB. What do you guys think about the defensive line or the linebackers?

He ran a base 3-4, but my understanding is that he ran more 4-man front at Vandy, so I would expect there to be some flexibility in what he runs based on our current personnel.

14 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

He ran a base 3-4, but my understanding is that he ran more 4-man front at Vandy, so I would expect there to be some flexibility in what he runs based on our current personnel.

Yea I believe he ran more of a 4-3 base at Vandy. A lot will depend on the roster. Mason is a big fan of 2 gap DL. He would need a true NT type to switch to a 3-4 and I do not know that we have that guy on the roster.

Robinson who is coming in at 6'3" 300 might be able to play the 2 GAP especially if added 10 pounds of muscle. Hunter also but I don't feel that would be ideal position for him. Hunter at 6'5" 290 is extremely strong and very athletic for his size but is more a true DT then NT but I think he could play a lot of different positions on D-Line.

I watched our D-Line this year we have some young talented players who got better as year progressed, my biggest issue was lack of containment to outside often because of bad reads and angles and sometimes being pushed around inside.  We were very vanilla on D line in how we played it under Steele and Garner relying on Players winning physically only not a lot of stunts.  Stunts when done correctly mess up blocking schemes when done wrong cause big gains.

9 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Derek Mason traditionally runs a base 3-4. So who do you guys think is likely to wind up where?

Id assume the Bucks move to OLB. What do you guys think about the defensive line or the linebackers?

He runs a pretty multiple D. What I think we'll see is more agile pass rushing defensive ends/bucks.

Lately we've kind of been playing with 4 DTs at times. I don't know if anyone will change positions but we should see improvement with some of the edge guys we already have. 

16 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Defensive Thread?

He doesn't care. To be honest, I'm surprised it wasn't posted in the "new athletic facility" thread.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He doesn't care. To be honest, I'm surprised it wasn't posted in the "new athletic facility" thread.

He never disappoints!!  I love his post. 😆 

Defenses flex so much today depending on down, distance and the offensive personnel and formation run by the opponent there really aren’t many traditional 3-4 and 4-3 alignments going on any more.  If you watched Steele’s defense the last few years we might be in a 5 man front one play, 4 the next and 3 the next and that’s not even including the blitz packages where safeties or corners may be moved up to the line of scrimmage.  While he might have said we were a 4-3 defense the past few years against LSU last year he ran a 3-1-7 most of the game and held them to by far their lowest offensive totals of the year.   

56 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

He never disappoints!!  I love his post. 😆 

Half of his posts have me going “what just happened “, “oh wait, what “?

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Robinson who is coming in at 6'3" 300 might be able to play the 2 GAP especially if added 10 pounds of muscle. Hunter also but I don't feel that would be ideal position for him. Hunter at 6'5" 290 is extremely strong and very athletic for his size but is more a true DT then NT but I think he could play a lot of different positions on D-Line.

I watched our D-Line this year we have some young talented players who got better as year progressed, my biggest issue was lack of containment to outside often because of bad reads and angles and sometimes being pushed around inside.  We were very vanilla on D line in how we played it under Steele and Garner relying on Players winning physically only not a lot of stunts.  Stunts when done correctly mess up blocking schemes when done wrong cause big gains.

We had basically NO pass rush at all this past year. We need to remedy that by any means necessary.

20 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

We had basically NO pass rush at all this past year. We need to remedy that by any means necessary.

Maybe the new S/C coach will be fixing some of this.

1 minute ago, dabrasco said:

Maybe the new S/C coach will be fixing some of this.

I think losing  highly talented underclassmen was the biggest factor on our poor D-Line play, like Moore and Miller.  Also, between the 17 through 19 classes, we signed 2 total defensive tackles, only Truesdell remains.

3 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

We have a 300 lb tight end, who if he is to have a real future in football, should be changing to DL asap.

I read where Kiffin said he could be a top-five pick as a 3-technique DT.

If he stays on offense I'd like to see him tighten up and play at a sleek 280 or so.  It'll be interesting to see what the new S&C regimen does to his body over the next few years.

15 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

I read where Kiffin said he could be a top-five pick as a 3-technique DT.

If he stays on offense I'd like to see him tighten up and play at a sleek 280 or so.  It'll be interesting to see what the new S&C regimen does to his body over the next few years.

Yep, at DT he would most likely be faster than most with quick feet, and athletic. 

At tight end he is too big, slow, and not unusually tall. It's an amusing anomaly to see a three hundred pound tight end, but other than size that should help with some blocking assignments, he is not much of a match up problem for a defense. Good tight ends should be great route runners who are difficult for linebackers to match speed wise, and physical match problems for safeties.

I'd love to see Moultry have a position change. 

I'm not sure where, but it's clear he's not a DE with his hand in the ground. He's absurdly athletic. I'm not sure if it is coaching, him not having "football" smarts or what, but he's constantly offsides out of position or something. 

I'd love to see this staff get something out of his nature athleticism 

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd love to see Moultry have a position change. 

I'm not sure where, but it's clear he's not a DE with his hand in the ground. He's absurdly athletic. I'm not sure if it is coaching, him not having "football" smarts or what, but he's constantly offsides out of position or something. 

I'd love to see this staff get something out of his nature athleticism 

I've thought for a long time but never voiced it that I wanted him to go back to being a true LB. He jumps offside too much being on the LOS anyways and was a killer LB in high school.

3 hours ago, USATiger said:

Base 4i, sing it loud, sing it proud....

This is an underrated post. Give this man your likes. 

Mason is in the leading pack of defensive innovations. That and his personality should excite the hell out of all Auburn football fans. 

Archived