Four Names to Watch for WR Coach

Zeek

Based off a recent Phillip Marshall article and comment by Nathan King

Tee Martin (Tennessee) is interested in Auburn. How mutual this interest is will be the question. He has some NFL experience as a player, coached high school in Georgia, hired at New Mexico as a QB coach for one year, two years as WR coach at Kentucky, 6 years at USCw as a WR coach and eventually OC, currently at Tennessee as WR coach and Assistant Head Coach.

Darrell Wyatt  (UCF) played WR at Kansas State, and had coached at Kansas/U of Arizona/Minnesota Vikings/Oklahoma/Baylor/Wyoming/ Sam Houston State/Trinity Valley/Southern Miss/Texas/Oklahoma State/Arkansas State/and UCF (not in that order). He has 29 years coaching. It's thought Harsin is high on him.

Bryan McClendon (Oregon) played at UGA and 1 year for the Chicago Bears, 8 years at UGA where he worked with RBs WRs was a recruiting coordinator and interim HC, 3 years at South Carolina, and now he's at Oregon. Tremendous recruiter.

Dameyune Craig (Texas A&M) PM floated this one out there but I don't see it happening. TAMU is paying him really well and he has no real experience outside of being under Jimbo and Gus. He does well in recruiting but there were similar complaints with DC last time he was here. I would be absolutely amazed if he's a serious candidate.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming Tee Martin is clear of the recruiting improprieties at UT, all three options seem like good gets.

4 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Assuming Tee Martin is clear of the recruiting improprieties at UT, all three options seem like good gets.

It's telling all 3 have been recruiting coordinators before. We're gonna have a bunch of former recruiting coordinators on staff.

is it too much to ask for a receivers coach that can really coach? we have gotten similar talent as other sec schools and i believe we have underwhelmed.look at bama, lsu in their championship year, and even ga. these schools all seem to put receivers on the field that can catch. i am not sure if it is coaching, recruits, or schemes but we need a huge upgrade. let me repeat.... huge. too often it seems like our receivers cannot come back to the ball very well when our qb gets in a jam. this is something we need to fix yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It's telling all 3 have been recruiting coordinators before. We're gonna have a bunch of former recruiting coordinators on staff.

when i see martins name i think of that td pass he threw pretty much on his back to beat the tigers back in dyes's day. and did he not get busted for being dirty? my memory is faulty but i do know we do not need the ncaa to set us back again when we start clawing back up.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

when i see martins name i think of that td pass he threw pretty much on his back to beat the tigers back in dyes's day. and did he not get busted for being dirty? my memory is faulty but i do know we do not need the ncaa to set us back again when we start clawing back up.

I'm sure that will very much be a factor in the decision. He's the one interested right now so it could be he isn't even on our list. 

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

when i see martins name i think of that td pass he threw pretty much on his back to beat the tigers back in dyes's day.

Uh...Tee was at UT from ‘96-‘99, well after Dye was gone as AU HC

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Uh...Tee was at UT from ‘96-‘99, well after Dye was gone as AU HC

are you sure? i thought dyes wife told him she was embarrassed after the game? man my mind and memories are going if this is true.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

are you sure? i thought dyes wife told him she was embarrassed after the game? man my mind and memories are going if this is true.

Lol, that is when he was at UT- followed Peyton and immediately won the natty Peyton couldn’t. Take another hit 😜

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Lol, that is when he was at UT- followed Peyton and immediately won the natty Peyton couldn’t. Take another hit 😜

well thanx fred it sux to be me right now...............lol

19 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

is it too much to ask for a receivers coach that can really coach? we have gotten similar talent as other sec schools and i believe we have underwhelmed.look at bama, lsu in their championship year, and even ga. these schools all seem to put receivers on the field that can catch. i am not sure if it is coaching, recruits, or schemes but we need a huge upgrade. let me repeat.... huge. too often it seems like our receivers cannot come back to the ball very well when our qb gets in a jam. this is something we need to fix yesterday.

Seems from where we're coming from any recievers coach can coach.

Just now, jAUSon said:

Seems from where we're coming from any recievers coach can coach.

i agree. hell at this point i would give peewee herman a shot if we can keep him out of movie theaters...............grins

Having a good coach at wr may be the most hyped thing in college football. You can explain everything there is to know in a day. The rest is just repetition and the wr own individual work ethic.

You justneed a guy that will be creative with drills so they don't be so boring and he's going to make sure guys practice. Then you need a fantastic recruiter. That's it

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Having a good coach at wr may be the most hyped thing in college football. You can explain everything there is to know in a day. The rest is just repetition and the wr own individual work ethic.

You justneed a guy that will be creative with drills so they don't be so boring and he's going to make sure guys practice. Then you need a fantastic recruiter. That's it

I second this. That’s why McClendon is particularly appealing. All 3 would be pretty good, Tee got a little baggage plus he kinda d****d AU as a recruit so I’d prefer the other two 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

i saw where lsu used special goggles and other things. and they claimed it made a difference. and i have yet to see anyone else talk about the goggles. i agree with a lot of what you say but what if you have that special coach a player would run though a brick wall for? i think some coaches make a difference but maybe not on the scale i normally thought.

These 3 have all been mentioned around here. All 3 would be good choices, each bringing a different main recruiting area (based off past results).

17 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i saw where lsu used special goggles and other things. and they claimed it made a difference. and i have yet to see anyone else talk about the goggles. i agree with a lot of what you say but what if you have that special coach a player would run though a brick wall for? i think some coaches make a difference but maybe not on the scale i normally thought.

I agree. That that sort of balls under somebody to make it interesting and make sure they practice. There are definitely motivators. I was mainly speaking as far as coaching coaching. It's all the same and simple. You line up in the same stance every time and make every route look the same. There's little technique coming off the line. You always attack the ball. You high point the ball.  You catch with 🔮 hands when possible. That's literally almost everything.

A little more advance things is foot work. Hand placement coming of the line. Waiting until the last minute to put your hands up going for the ball. Body placement (guys that played basketball are always already good at that) the rest is repetition repetition repetition. You live it. Eat it. Breathe it. It's sort of like a golf swing you can master it but still never be perfect you know? Eventually you get to a point where you catching balls one hand and off instinct.

Henry ruggs that played for bammer didn't even play football to his junior or senior year but went to bammer because he was such an incredible athlete. Then went to the NFL and was the first wr taken. You get the special athletes and you can just teach them later. 

If I was a coach I would spend as much time in the basketball gym than the field. Find those under sized kids that's still dunking and jumping out of the gym and just tell them the truth. You're 6'4" playing forward.....You have like a 3% chance in making it. You can come with me and with your measurables you'll possibly be a top 5 wr with the frame everybody wants.....it's your choice!

Just now, cole256 said:

@aubiefifty sorry for that long post you probably didn't ask for all of that. And I know we exchanged words a while ago but I still love you bro. 

i actually appreciate you taking the sxtra time explaining it. i only played one year of jv football in germany with american kids and i admit i was pretty much a waste of time but i hated my coach because he worked under my old man and he used me for a lot of payback. i will never participate in that bull in the ring crap ever again. i still love the game but he ruined playing for me. but i was not very good either.

6 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

These 3 have all been mentioned around here. All 3 would be good choices, each bringing a different main recruiting area (based off past results).

I don't think Tee Martin would be a wise choice until the dust settles in Knoxville.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i actually appreciate you taking the sxtra time explaining it. i only played one year of jv football in germany with american kids and i admit i was pretty much a waste of time but i hated my coach because he worked under my old man and he used me for a lot of payback. i will never participate in that bull in the ring crap ever again. i still love the game but he ruined playing for me. but i was not very good either.

It's all good bro we all specialize in our own areas. I'm willing to talk football and basketball all day I played them and loved it. Football I especially love talking secondary play, wr's and QB. I can actually say football saved my life. I have a story behind that

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Why worry about that now we took Will Friend without proper due diligence about him at Tenn.

I'm hoping for Coach Bryan. I don't want to call him Coach BM for obvious reasons. I want Coach Bryan because I think he will be the best recruiter of the bunch. Coach Tee Martin can recruit but so could Coach Trooper Taylor. I don't want to get in trouble. The other option, Darryl Wyatt does not have SEC experience so he will have to learn the area. 

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's all good bro we all specialize in our own areas. I'm willing to talk football and basketball all day I played them and loved it. Football I especially love talking secondary play, wr's and QB. I can actually say football saved my life. I have a story behind that

I want to hear the story. Cole, you are a great poster on this site. I enjoy your takes.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Exactly. McClendon is more of a RB coach but can recruit like crazy and has worked with WRs enough to teach them the 10-12 routes lol.

Archived