Four Names to Watch for WR Coach

Zeek

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

are you sure? i thought dyes wife told him she was embarrassed after the game? man my mind and memories are going if this is true.

Believe you were probably thinking of Tony Robinson. He's the guy who lit us up in Knoxville in  1985 when we went up there ranked #1. Dye thought Bo was all we needed at the time, and started a freshman at QB. Bobby Walden if my memory is correct. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I want to hear the story. Cole, you are a great poster on this site. I enjoy your takes.

Oh man thanks! Well I apparently was born with one kidney but I didn't know. I went to a very small Christian school in Florence and it didn't have a football team. My mom moved to Huntsville so I went with her and my first time playing football was in high school. So I went from a school so small that everybody stayed in the same room and took the same classes to a 6A school. Bob Jones. 

Huge adjustment so I started playing and I was horrible but slowly I started to get it. By middle I was second team but moved into starting because guy ahead of me got hurt. I really took to it and everybody was talking to me and started getting recruited. Well after the following summer all the starters was sent to do physicals and I find out I only have one kidney. 

So I had to stop playing football but I was very lucky as I was known to be a very hard hitter. I remember a particular play against sparkman where I hit their running back who was a very well known guy and they said he was out for a few seconds at first and of course he fumbled and we ended up winning a close game. But who knows what could've happened if I didn't find out when I did and started to pay attention to my kidney health.

One of the reasons I'm here today from having a mass on my kidney that I do have is because I monitor myself and we caught it very early so that's why I say what I say.

Thanks for the kind words too 🙏🏾

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Exactly. McClendon is more of a RB coach but can recruit like crazy and has worked with WRs enough to teach them the 10-12 routes lol.

Athletes are going to athlete no matter what. I think Mike Evans was like that too was hooping and decided to give football a try. I'm sure everybody in a collective effort will make sure to give them what they need. The most important thing is to go out and catch every day. After that everything else is icing on the cake

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh man thanks! Well I apparently was born with one kidney but I didn't know. I went to a very small Christian school in Florence and it didn't have a football team. My mom moved to Huntsville so I went with her and my first time playing football was in high school. So I went from a school so small that everybody stayed in the same room and took the same classes to a 6A school. Bob Jones. 

Huge adjustment so I started playing and I was horrible but slowly I started to get it. By middle I was second team but moved into starting because guy ahead of me got hurt. I really took to it and everybody was talking to me and started getting recruited. Well after the following summer all the starters was sent to do physicals and I find out I only have one kidney. 

So I had to stop playing football but I was very lucky as I was known to be a very hard hitter. I remember a particular play against sparkman where I hit their running back who was a very well known guy and they said he was out for a few seconds at first and of course he fumbled and we ended up winning a close game. But who knows what could've happened if I didn't find out when I did and started to pay attention to my kidney health.

One of the reasons I'm here today from having a mass on my kidney that I do have is because I monitor myself and we caught it very early so that's why I say what I say.

Cool story. Thanks for sharing!

And,  to show my age: I can remember when BJHS was a relatively small high school out in Madison. Went on to be the biggest in the state at one time....

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Cool story. Thanks for sharing!

And,  to show my age: I can remember when BJHS was a relatively small high school out in Madison. Went on to be the biggest in the state at one time....

My mom pointed out to me a middle school and she said that at one time was the high school. But the high school was so big I can't imagine how many people can be in that building. 

Literally the cafeteria in the knew one was bigger than the small school I went to in Florence lol

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

My mom pointed out to me a middle school and she said that at one time was the high school. But the high school was so big I can't imagine how many people can be in that building. 

Literally the cafeteria in the knew one was bigger than the small school I went to in Florence lol

I hunt arrowheads in Florence north of the end of Cox Creek Pkwy., Bell Sink, Seven Mile Island, Coffee Slough...

Also in Colbert County.

My two best friends are from Florence too. 

55 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Did you play for Coach Ed Carter?

51 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Believe you were probably thinking of Tony Robinson. He's the guy who lit us up in Knoxville in  1985 when we went up there ranked #1. Dye thought Bo was all we needed at the time, and started a freshman at QB. Bobby Walden if my memory is correct. 

Yeah, I remember that game very well. It was embarrassing, and Dye actually played 3 QB's, ala Gus...Walden had bad knees, Burger was really young and Pat Washington ended up get the starting job, which shows just how bad we were at QB. Bo and Fullwood WERE all we had

41 minutes ago, toddc said:

I hunt arrowheads in Florence north of the end of Cox Creek Pkwy., Bell Sink, Seven Mile Island, Coffee Slough...

Also in Colbert County.

My two best friends are from Florence too. 

I know those places. Actually my mom has a house up that way

3 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Did you play for Coach Ed Carter?

Don't think so. I think one of the coaches may have been Ed but I'm not certain. I was only there for little over a year as I moved back to Florence and I graduated from Bradshaw. 

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Don't think so. I think one of the coaches may have been Ed but I'm not certain. I was only there for little over a year as I moved back to Florence and I graduated from Bradshaw. 

He was the HC there for 5-6 years. I think it was in the late 80’s or early 90’s. Later when to Athens as an assistant coach. Cousin of mine.

Just now, PUB78 said:

He was the HC there for 5-6 years. I think it was in the late 80’s or early 90’s. Later when to Athens as an assistant coach. Cousin of mine.

Oh well no that's way before I was there

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Oh well no that's way before I was there

That is what I thought. 

12 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I thought he left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths when he left last time. 

From what I remember ... He and Gus did not get along

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i actually appreciate you taking the sxtra time explaining it. i only played one year of jv football in germany with american kids and i admit i was pretty much a waste of time but i hated my coach because he worked under my old man and he used me for a lot of payback. i will never participate in that bull in the ring crap ever again. i still love the game but he ruined playing for me. but i was not very good either.

If I’m thinking of the same bull in the ring...that alone made me quit football.

PM floated Dameyune Craig's name out there. It's a hard pass from me.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

PM floated Dameyune Craig's name out there. It's a hard pass from me.

I agree, good recruiter but our Wide Receiver coaching wasn't any better with him than with Kodi; I don't agree with A4E ever (but he does make me laugh at some of the stuff he posts), but I agree with him on McClendon (give me him and call it a day on Offense.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

I live in Athens 

Nice town. I was raised in Russellville.

Archived