Four Names to Watch for WR Coach

Zeek

5 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

I can't pretend to be know what a NFL receiver needs to know to be great. But lots  of people are fast and can catch. But how many people know what the defense is playing and can then determine where the hole is? Where to put your hands and feet if the DB is playing bump and run. How to counter the DB in bump and run? Where to keep your eyes. Knowing where to put your feet, hips, hands, head to run a crisp route. How many ways to sell a DB out of position. Do you know what route the other WR, RB and TE are running? Do you have the endurance to run the whole game?  How to improve endurance? How to improve hand strength? How to block. What weakness of the DB we looking to expose? What is the counter to how that DB is playing?  But honestly I can't imagine what I don't even know. I just feel like there is much more to being a receiver than knowing how to run and being naturally good at catching.

I assume you're talking to me and I've wrote about most of those things to. So I didn't say just run and catch but look at what you wrote.....are you coached to watch film and know a defense or a weakness of a player or do you have to have it in you and say I'm going to watch extra film? Do you get coached to know how to improve endurance or does everybody on earth knows to run? Did Jerry rice get coached to run those hills of his legendary work out? Did TO get coached to work out to a point he can run a 4.4 at damn near 50? Did moss get coached to eat sleep think football? 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't think Tee Martin would be a wise choice until the dust settles in Knoxville.

Do you have the same concerns about Friend?

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I assume you're talking to me and I've wrote about most of those things to. So I didn't say just run and catch but look at what you wrote.....are you coached to watch film and know a defense or a weakness of a player or do you have to have it in you and say I'm going to watch extra film? Do you get coached to know how to improve endurance or does everybody on earth knows to run? Did Jerry rice get coached to run those hills of his legendary work out? Did TO get coached to work out to a point he can run a 4.4 at damn near 50? Did moss get coached to eat sleep think football? 

I agree that players have accountability too. It's not natural for most people to train the way a person needs to at the SEC or NFL level though. I can barely talk myself into getting on the elliptical sitting in my own house.  Coaches usually have to mold these kids and teach them what a great player does to succeed.

I know good and well those 2 and 3 starts at Boise and Central Florida don't have the measurables of Seth Williams or Anthony Schwartz. But they are still productive. Some of that is because they have high football IQ passed on from the coaches. I mean I want those rare beasts like Rice and Owens too. But how many kids at that potential and never developed? And honestly maybe DC is that guy that can teach them and inspire them. He certainly is well known for being loved by players. Honestly I just want a staff that gives these kids the best chance to succeed. I want people to say wow look how that WR got open because of how great he is at route running his draft stock just went up.

5 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

I agree that players have accountability too. It's not natural for most people to train the way a person needs to at the SEC or NFL level though. I can barely talk myself into getting on the elliptical sitting in my own house.  Coaches usually have to mold these kids and teach them what a great player does to succeed.

I know good and well those 2 and 3 starts at Boise and Central Florida don't have the measurables of Seth Williams or Anthony Schwartz. But they are still productive. Some of that is because they have high football IQ passed on from the coaches. I mean I want those rare beasts like Rice and Owens too. But how many kids at that potential and never developed? And honestly maybe DC is that guy that can teach them and inspire them. He certainly is well known for being loved by players. Honestly I just want a staff that gives these kids the best chance to succeed. I want people to say wow look how that WR got open because of how great he is at route running his draft stock just went up.

Well see we actually agree, in one of my post I said he has to be able to inspire  motivate or hell intimidate I don't care which one 😂

And I guess I exaggerated you can't teach everything in a few days but over a summer you can teach 80-90% easy and then it's constant repetition and want to. You have to know you can't master this but you're going to try every single day.

I just feel that many think seeing a coach yell after a dropped ball is coaching and it is not. I watched a documentary of ruggs that played for Alabama. He was a basketball player. Barely had any experience before going to bammer. He said the biggest driving force for them was you didn't know how many chances you are going to get so you made every single play perfect just in case you get an opportunity. He said when you go to film room you didn't want to look stupid and you wanted to have something highlighted. He was brand new and he said that was the biggest thing that helped him improve.

Alot of the productivity is having a good QB. But I agree with everything you said. I just think it's pretty lazy to say these guys had drops the coach sucks. Hell I even knew a player that has bad eye sight and once he got contacts he improved tremendously. 

And I don't know if that is DC either, I was just asking why people were against him. I played basketball against him before and thought he was an ass I'm not campaigning for him or anything

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

they put you in a ring with the football then they can call however many players they want to hit you. all you can do is turn and hope you can lessen the blow. i think the ring of tacklers moved in a circle as well. it was used to toughen people up and also punishment. later it was outlawed because so many kids were getting hurt.

I loved bull in the ring, but ours wasn't as brutal as yours sounded.  They only called out one player at a time and it was to teach us linemen how to react quickly to blocks.  The one drill I hated with a passion is not too dissimilar to bull in the ring.  They lined us up in a circle, and then threw a ball in the middle and we had to recover the "fumble".  I still remember the pain 45 years later of having a hand smashed between between two helmets as I would dive for the ball.  I'm surprised I didn't have several broken fingers from that drill.  It was always the last drill of practice and you could leave practice once you recovered a "fumble".  Being on the bottom of the pile early in the drill was an all out war for the ball.

1 hour ago, AUnCullman said:

If I were WR coach. I would tell the receivers to lose their defender, go to open grassy area on the field look for the ball. If it isnt coming to you find another open spot, go there and look for ball to come to you. The QB will be looking for someone to get to the open spots in the grassy area. Then run to the big rectangle at end of field. Hand ball to the zebra looking guy then go get a drink. 

I think I could do this for a living. Its not brain surgery!!

Can I apply?

That reminds me of this clip from “Waterboy”.   

On 1/10/2021 at 1:03 PM, aubiefifty said:

is it too much to ask for a receivers coach that can really coach? we have gotten similar talent as other sec schools and i believe we have underwhelmed.look at bama, lsu in their championship year, and even ga. these schools all seem to put receivers on the field that can catch. i am not sure if it is coaching, recruits, or schemes but we need a huge upgrade. let me repeat.... huge. too often it seems like our receivers cannot come back to the ball very well when our qb gets in a jam. this is something we need to fix yesterday.

Fitty, why is every time I read your posts I hear it in the voice of Truman Capote? Not a slam, just a confession...

i have no idea. i did read to kill a mockingbird once tho. and i am sure truman has his english lit and typing skills way better than my lazy typing. too often i hurry my typing because i forget what the hell i wanted to say. and altho i believe in human rights for gays i love women and have yet to find a man i find attractive. golf came close but i admit i was pretty buzzed. i do type too much sometimes.

2 hours ago, AUBourne said:

Found a show that talks about some of what you discussed. 

If anyone is looking for a new youtube channel on Auburn Football this has been a good one for me.

• Zeek changed the title to Four Names to Watch for WR Coach
19 hours ago, cole256 said:

An ol yellow jacket huh?

Yep, I was skinny as a rail but fast so Buddy Moore put me at wing back. Got flung like a rag doll every time a defender got ahold of me.

I don't know I want more, Tee Martin or Bryan McClendon. They both have had major success recruiting big time guys. I know there are a ton of UT fans clamoring for Tee to be OC. I do not know much about Wyatt, but I do not want Dameyun Craig. He was one of my top 5 most favorite All time AU players, but wasn't impressed with him as a coach. 

The drill I hated was having one blocker and two dlinemen. Give me the ball and say go left, or go right. Got my bell rung twice in one practice and quit .

Baseball was more my sport.

56 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

If anyone is looking for a new youtube channel on Auburn Football this has been a good one for me.

This is the best AU themed show going.....Been listening for 3 weeks or so....

1 minute ago, toddc said:

The drill I hated was having one blocker and two dlinemen. Give me the ball and say go left, or go right. Got my bell rung twice in one practice and quit .

Baseball was more my sport.

We called that one Oklahoma. Big square of pain with a skinny path out.

1 minute ago, chizhead said:

Me too. Seems the Malzahn firing rose the show to the top of my youtube home page.

40 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Yep, I was skinny as a rail but fast so Buddy Moore put me at wing back. Got flung like a rag doll every time a defender got ahold of me.

I was around when two guys Rudy Williams and Corey Hughes played. This how good these guys were one won Alabama player of the year and then the next year the other did......Corey Hughes is literally the best high school player I have ever seen in Alabama. He was insane on the court. Watching him play I would literally think I'm grateful I'm able to see this

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Good plug. Been listening to them as well. They're excellent 

I hope Friend and Bobo works out and we won't be looking for their replacement.

We still need to fill these slots. WR coach, DL coach and Special Teams coach. Hopefully those slots will be filled by the end of this week or sometime next week.

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I don’t buy that. Gus mishandled a lot , but he wasn’t a tyrannical dictator. FWIW, DC is starting to get the same reputation at TAMU. These position coaches get paid way too much to not have some accountability for their players. 

DC was brought in with the promise of having real input in game planning, preparation.  DC tried to do his job, which as his title stated was Co-OC.  His input was never welcome, which led to him becoming persona non grata to the Gus/Lashley duo.  I was never happy Gus was hired as HC, but hearing the dude had a bigger ego than Saban, I knew the 2013 success was going to extend Gus' tenure way beyond it's expiration date.  

Folks should know by now, one thing is certain if you work for Gus, you will become his scape-goat one day.  

20 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope Friend and Bobo works out and we won't be looking for their replacement.

We still need to fill these slots. WR coach, DL coach and Special Teams coach. Hopefully those slots will be filled by the end of this week or sometime next week.

I guess the best out come is for Bobo and Mason to perform well enough to get HC gigs in the next 2-3 yrs and we have to start over.  That revolving coaches del has worked out for the little man.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i have no idea. i did read to kill a mockingbird once tho. and i am sure truman has his english lit and typing skills way better than my lazy typing. too often i hurry my typing because i forget what the hell i wanted to say. and altho i believe in human rights for gays i love women and have yet to find a man i find attractive. golf came close but i admit i was pretty buzzed. i do type too much sometimes.

Harper Lee wrote To kill A Mockingbird, not Truman Capote. JFYI 😊

3 hours ago, chizhead said:

4 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Funny you should post this.  I happened to run across this show today for the first time,  and was very impressed.  

Archived