Four Names to Watch for WR Coach

Zeek

8 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Wyatt is a huge upgrade from Kodi, who should’ve been fired years ago imo. 

A bit harsh.  He recruited some damn good WRs to AU.  Not his fault that Gus's offense limited their potential.  You'll find out how good of a coach Kodi is, one way or the other, under a new regime and offense wherever he lands.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Brad_ATX said:

A bit harsh.  He recruited some damn good WRs to AU.  Not his fault that Gus's offense limited their potential.  You'll find out how good of a coach Kodi is, one way or the other, under a new regime and offense wherever he lands.

Kodi definitely recruited well.  I feel like he gets some bad press due to Gus's offense.  He's probably not worthy of a co-oc title and 200k more than the other staff his age.

21 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Do you have the same concerns about Friend?

Yes, but done is done. Friend is done, Martin isn't.

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He recruited alright. But not well enough for this league. And the route running of our receivers left a lot to be desired 

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

None of the Vol sites have mentioned Friend as being a part of the problem...Neidermyer and Martin have been. UT ratting themselves out

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We have an Alabama, Georgia grad on the staff.  That is 2 to many.  We certainly don't need a Tenn graduate bringing his potential problems to the staff.

6 minutes ago, chizhead said:

None of the Vol sites have mentioned Friend as being a part of the problem...Neidermyer and Martin have been. UT ratting themselves out

yea but the these sites are not evidence of somebody involvement or lack thereof.  The only proof is if the investigation exonerated him.  Those investigation run slow and we may not know the full extent of the involvement.  I hope the due diligence that Auburn performed before hiring Friend consisted of more than he was not implicated on the Vol sites.

10 minutes ago, Carnell said:

We have an Alabama, Georgia grad on the staff.  That is 2 to many.  We certainly don't need a Tenn graduate bringing his potential problems to the staff.

we get it.  You are worried.  There is nothing we can do about it but hope for the best.  Why are you so obsessed over it?

29 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

He recruited alright. But not well enough for this league. And the route running of our receivers left a lot to be desired 

The kids ran the routes based on the scheme which was outdated and poorly innovative , including with CM. I watched a ton of innovation last night , and it was the simplest things.

5 minutes ago, Carnell said:

yea but the these sites are not evidence of somebody involvement or lack thereof.  The only proof is if the investigation exonerated him.  Those investigation run slow and we may not know the full extent of the involvement.  I hope the due diligence that Auburn performed before hiring Friend consisted of more than he was not implicated on the Vol sites.

Why are you so concerned? This has nothing to do AU. Worst case scenario (which won’t happen) is we fire him and hire someone else. 
For now just enjoy the hire. Hopefully he will bring good coaching and top recruits!!

49 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Kodi definitely recruited well.  I feel like he gets some bad press due to Gus's offense.  He's probably not worthy of a co-oc title and 200k more than the other staff his age.

He was the run game coordinator when chip Lindsay was here, which is why a lot of the run plays looked like prototypical Gus plays. No idea if he had the same role with Morris here, but the run game looked pretty different last year. 

Remember, the OC does a lot more than just call plays. The plan/run practices for their side of the ball. The watch game film like crazy to find the other teams’ weaknesses. They design the game plan. It’s my understanding that he was doing a lot of behind the scenes work for our rushing plays. 

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I didn’t want to read 6 pages of conversation.

Why Craig? Didn’t he kind of wear out his welcome in the past? Before he was hired by Gus, he took some low shots at Auburn trying to recruit against us. And the way he left last time left a bad taste in a lot of peoples’ mouths. 

6 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I didn’t want to read 6 pages of conversation.

Why Craig? Didn’t he kind of wear out his welcome in the past? Before he was hired by Gus, he took some low shots at Auburn trying to recruit against us. And the way he left last time left a bad taste in a lot of peoples’ mouths. 

You can't get mad a people recruiting against you, it's all part of the game.  I'd bet everyone long time SEC coach that's on Harsin's staff negatively recruited against us when they were at UT/UGA.  Rodney probably did when he was at UGA for so long.

53 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Not well enough for this league?  Slayton is tearing it up in the NFL.  Seth may be the best pure WR we've ever had.  We honestly have no idea how good Schwartz can be.  Those are just a few examples.

Kodi brought talent here.  Route running left a lot to be desired, but again I ask, how much of that was a construct of Gus?  Jury is out on Kodi until he coaches somewhere without Gus in charge.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Jury is out on Kodi until he coaches somewhere without Gus in charge.

Kodi needs to go and coach somewhere and learn how to be a real WR coach if that’s what he wants to do. He was never going to get the right teaching here to do that.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I think there are two things to look at with Kodi.

He did a very good job finding quality playmakers, knowing that Gus offense does not throw that many balls to wideouts. He liked more bubble screens and balls to slot WRs.

Kodi, I think what Kodi did not provide is teaching WRs all the techniques and ways to play the position. Now, some of that is on Gus for not having a prolific passing tree scheme....

1 hour ago, chizhead said:

Her name is on it, but a lot of folks think Capote wrote it for her.

Although Lee was one of the nation’s most celebrated writers, she has only two published books to her name: To Kill A Mockingbird and Go Set a Watchman, a novel first touted as a sequel to Mockingbird, but that was later revealed to be more akin to an early draft. The book was published in 2015, amid controversy and speculation about Harper’s mental state. (An investigation by Alabama officials ultimately found that Harper was fully in control of her faculties and able to approve publication). Both of Lee’s books have been wildly successful, but the author’s low output and the decades stretching between her two publications have been a mystery to readers. Did she write more? Did her writing ever move beyond the world of Mockingbird? If so, why didn't she publish it?

The above says only 2 books....strange indeed

i am not sure how that rumor ever got out other than they grew up together but i do not believe truman wrote it. it could very well be true but i would have to see proof. she had a lot of haters because of racism.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The kids ran the routes based on the scheme which was outdated and poorly innovative , including with CM. I watched a ton of innovation last night , and it was the simplest things.

BINGO!!!

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Why are you so concerned? This has nothing to do AU. Worst case scenario (which won’t happen) is we fire him and hire someone else. 
For now just enjoy the hire. Hopefully he will bring good coaching and top recruits!!

I am concerned because you people seem to think that we can just fire him if it turns out that he was more substantially involved at Tenn than was previously known.  But Auburn can not just fire him and remove ant liability for his actions  as a coach at Auburn.  You people will be all over this if subsequently turn out that Auburn is in hot water with the NCAA because of his actions but it is too late by then.

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

Don’t know your age, but I guess you didn’t approve of Dye either - a Bryant understudy and a Georgia graduate. I, for one, got to personally enjoy Dye’s first four years, and rate him as the most impactful coach in Auburn’s history, even considering the immense respect I had for Shug as the greatest representative of Auburn. 

9 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I am concerned because you people seem to think that we can just fire him if it turns out that he was more substantially involved at Tenn than was previously known.  But Auburn can not just fire him and remove ant liability for his actions  as a coach at Auburn.  You people will be all over this if subsequently turn out that Auburn is in hot water with the NCAA because of his actions but it is too late by then.

You people? Dude I think you need a Valium. Just be happy that we have a good coach and move on. 

14 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Do you really think CBH is going to risk all of the goodwill he has right now and hire someone that’s got baggage? He’s hiring top notch coaches and he, or Auburn, isn’t as dumb or careless as you are making them out to be. Give it a rest.

WIDE RECEIVERS COACH

UCF’s Darrell Wyatt has been considered a good possibility for a while to be Auburn’s wide receivers coach and seems to be trending as the leading candidate, but he had not heard from Harsin as of Monday afternoon. My guess is that Wyatt, Tennessee’s Tee Martin and Oregon’s Bryan McLendon are the top contenders. Dameyune Craig is interested, but my gut tells me he’ll stay at Texas A&M.

Very weird, our top contender hasn't heard from Auburn.

21 minutes ago, toddc said:

Do you really think CBH is going to risk all of the goodwill he has right now and hire someone that’s got baggage? He’s hiring top notch coaches and he, or Auburn, isn’t as dumb or careless as you are making them out to be. Give it a rest.

I don't think it was intentional but mistakes happen.  You seem so sure about them making the right decision so you must can tell me what due diligence process auburn used before hiring this guy.  You say Auburn is not dumb or careless as I am making them out to be.  First I am not saying they are dumb or careless in this situation.  I am just saying they should state what due diligence process was used when assessing Friend background. They owe that to us.

2.  You say auburn is not careless or dumb.  That sure was not the case when they hired Housel and then later Jacob's as AD.  It certainly wasn't the case we we hired Gus as HC.

1 minute ago, Carnell said:

It certainly wasn't the case we we hired Gus as HC.

I’ll bet you weren’t saying that when he took us to National Championship game in year one. The hire was good when made but didn’t pan out. None of the people you listed/examples compare to your complaints about this hire-apples and oranges.

Archived