Big Kat to portal

Tony4AU

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Great to see you posting, and I totally agree. 

Thanks brother!  Glad to feel up to it.  Amazing what a fresh start will do.  Now it gives me a reason to keep living. .....bwahahahaha, just kidding. 😁

Seriously though, I thoroughly enjoyed Harsin's opening press conference.  I admit I don't know a whole lot about him but his presence was commanding, he didn't sound like he'll put up with too much crap from the players, media, etc.  I can imagine his opening talks with the players, whether online or in person and a lot of "oh crap, we're gonna be held accountable" bubbles popped up over a lot of heads and well....there you have it.  Transfer, transfer, transfer......

Unity right? What hypocrites.

Anyway sounds like Harsin is making it clear the easy road is over.

either buy into the staff or get out.

3 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I don’t like the number of players leaving. It makes me think something is wrong behind the scenes. Are these players mad about Gus being fired? Are they not on board with the Harsin hire? Is it that they don’t like the new coaches coming in? This just seems like an insane number of transfers. 

It makes me think things may have been wrong behind the scenes. If you are scared to play for a more hardnosed coach, I dont want you on the team. 

I wish him the best but anyone panicking is silly. He's one of those players like TD Moultry where every off-season we hear how it's going to be their year only to be disappointed. 

Hope he shows out somewhere but we'll be fine. The younger guys behind him generated more pressure without jumping offsides.

56 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Ready to dominate ? Why even wait ? Don't get it. 

Yeah, I thought that was.....odd.

Guess he forgot his audience there for a minute.

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Are these players mad about Gus being fired? Are they not on board with the Harsin hire?

Yes to both.  But it's perfectly normal.  Dye lost quite a few players when he was hired and I believe had some quitters after spring and fall.  He also kicked a few "troublemakers" as he called them off the team.

Tubs just flat-out kicked players off his first team and even pulled schollies. I am sure Chiz had some of the same problems.

It always happens.  I am not worried at all. It will probably affect next season, though, so don't expect miracles.

17 minutes ago, KnowItAll said:

Yes to both.  But it's perfectly normal.  Dye lost quite a few players when he was hired and I believe had some quitters after spring and fall.  He also kicked a few "troublemakers" as he called them off the team.

Tubs just flat-out kicked players off his first team and even pulled schollies. I am sure Chiz had some of the same problems.

It always happens.  I am not worried at all. It will probably affect next season, though, so don't expect miracles.

Just more visible this decade with the portal and Twitter to pour fuel immediately into the media and fora. Wishing the best for him. Disappointed at him and others who aren’t interested in being part of the solution. Better to know now than September who has dedication and character.

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

All these transfers, IMO, is evidence "exhibit A" that Gus ran a soft program.

Harsin comes in, pulls a Pat Dye, and already the chaff is being separated from the wheat.

Never heard of such a thing in my football life with all these defections before even giving Spring Ball a try. 

I'll refrain from saying anything about the transfers but I hope the fans & PTB are understanding of this for the next couple years, at least, and fully support CBH & the young men who have the guts to tough it out.  Frankly, this is what it means to have a solid foundation for the future. 

This team could be reminiscent of Dye's '81 team.

War Eagle!

Miss seeing your post bro. I hope all is well.

There's going to be transfers, turnover and weeding out. Just the way it is. Program is turning over a new leaf, players either turn over too and they gone. This one gone. 

No pain, no gain! We’re gonna feel the burn for a while, but I think it’s going to turn around quickly.

47 minutes ago, AUx said:

Just more visible this decade with the portal and Twitter to pour fuel immediately into the media and fora. Wishing the best for him. Disappointed at him and others who aren’t interested in being part of the solution. Better to know now than September who has dedication and character.

I remember when Dye replaced Barfield and lost some guys, when someone made a comment like “Well Coach Dye, it looks like you’ve lost some of your players” his comment was something like “Yeah we’ve had a few guys quit but I haven’t lost any players”.  I miss CPD and his style of football.  

In reality, Gus was liked / loved by most of his players and we have a new coach coming in that appears to be making some big philosophical changes.  Not too surprising and I think with the impact of the portal things like this won’t be uncommon.  Factor in the “COVID effect” and we have the formula for mass chaos.  

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Feels like Harsin really has laid down the law here. 

Saban didn’t get a statue for being nice... 

I was eating dinner with my girl and a few of her friends and their guys. One of them wanted to validate if I was an Auburn fan and when I said yep, he was like how do you like the new coach? He is a dick. This was someone who is from Colorado and a big Colorado state fan. So what that tells me is he has a reputation of no nonsense and probably a winner. Some people can handle it, others cannot that. 

10 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Ready to dominate ? Why even wait ? Don't get it. 

Yeah, that was complete weak sauce. I can't imagine any endeavor in my life where I would just quit on my team, and on the way out the door tell them how ready I am to dominate at the task we were given (just, you know, not with you guys). 

13 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Au down to 12 players now 

Seems like it. Will we even be able to dress the max players next season. Sure haven’t heard about any players choosing us as their destination through the portal. 

The effect of the portal is increasing the fight or flight mentality. It also shows who wants to be at or play for a particular school vs who has allegiance to certain coaches who may no longer be around. 

I wish some of these kids would stay, but it is their decision to make. I'd rather them have the freedom to make the decision than they be forced to stay with a new staff or lose the next year of playing time. 

I would have to disagree with those on here saying that the players were too soft, at least on the DL.  CRG was known to give tough love to his players.  I don't think this is the reason why Big Kat left.

Archived