Big Kat to portal

Tony4AU

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I was eating dinner with my girl and a few of her friends and their guys. One of them wanted to validate if I was an Auburn fan and when I said yep, he was like how do you like the new coach? He is a dick. This was someone who is from Colorado and a big Colorado state fan. So what that tells me is he has a reputation of no nonsense and probably a winner. Some people can handle it, others cannot that. 

Honestly, he strikes me as being about as anti-Gus in the good feels department as possible. 

Put it this way. I don't think I'd enjoy being his kid very much. I'd probably grow up and be super successful. But I wouldn't enjoy the process. Hah

9 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Feels like Harsin really has laid down the law here. 

I always feel compelled in these conversations to posit out loud that not all of these players arrive at these decisions on their own. Many are given signals that they would be better off elsewhere. I can't imagine that a guy like BKB was encouraged to go shopping but I do caution fans against assuming that a player just can't handle the transition. (That isn't a retort to you, just a piggyback.)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

I was eating dinner with my girl and a few of her friends and their guys. One of them wanted to validate if I was an Auburn fan and when I said yep, he was like how do you like the new coach? He is a dick. This was someone who is from Colorado and a big Colorado state fan. So what that tells me is he has a reputation of no nonsense and probably a winner. Some people can handle it, others cannot that. 

that was the complaint with saban. now he can get almost any players he wants. harsins hard nosed stance will be considered a plus if he improves auburn like saban did bama. and actually if we cannot get equal talent as some of our rivals maybe being more hardcore like dye will be a huge plus down the road.

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Honestly, he strikes me as being about as anti-Gus in the good feels department as possible. 

Put it this way. I don't think I'd enjoy being his kid very much. I'd probably grow up and be super successful. But I wouldn't enjoy the process. Hah

I always feel compelled in these conversations to posit out loud that not all of these players arrive at these decisions on their own. Many are given signals that they would be better off elsewhere. I can't imagine that a guy like BKB was encouraged to go shopping but I do caution fans against assuming that a player just can't handle the transition. (That isn't a retort to you, just a piggyback.)

remember the rumors about a certain coach putting poison in some players ears to leave? true or not it made the rounds on here and it could be another possibility. i would rather believe otherwise but life does not surprise me much anymore.

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

remember the rumors about a certain coach putting poison in some players ears to leave? true or not it made the rounds on here and it could be another possibility. i would rather believe otherwise but life does not surprise me much anymore.

Put it on a t-shirt, brother. Damn, that's the word of the day right there.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Put it on a t-shirt, brother. Damn, that's the word of the day right there.

i just got lucky with this geezer mind....lol

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I’m with you. But I definitely think the players are already seeing a different type of leadership than they’ve been used to. Garner was also known to be a hard ass so I don’t think BK just decided he couldn’t handle Harsin. 

11 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Feels like Harsin really has laid down the law here. 

Saban didn’t get a statue for being nice... 

You meant “statuette “ didn’t you?

17 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

All these transfers, IMO, is evidence "exhibit A" that Gus ran a soft program.

Harsin comes in, pulls a Pat Dye, and already the chaff is being separated from the wheat.

Never heard of such a thing in my football life with all these defections before even giving Spring Ball a try. 

I'll refrain from saying anything about the transfers but I hope the fans & PTB are understanding of this for the next couple years, at least, and fully support CBH & the young men who have the guts to tough it out.  Frankly, this is what it means to have a solid foundation for the future. 

This team could be reminiscent of Dye's '81 team.

War Eagle!

👆👆THIS!

17 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Holy cow what’s the big deal? Some of you are making a deal of nothing. He’s a Senior so under normal circumstances he’d be gone anyways and quite frankly the best thing about his game is his name. File this under the meh category. 

Amen to this! No one bitched at the inability of the DL to rush the passer more than me; I'm certainly not going to bitch about anyone leaving.

14 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Unity right? What hypocrites.

Anyway sounds like Harsin is making it clear the easy road is over.

either buy into the staff or get out.

You know he hasn’t even held a practice yet, correct?

6 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

You know he hasn’t even held a practice yet, correct?

You ever heard the phrase, ‘your reputation precedes you’? 

You’re welcome.

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You ever heard the phrase, ‘your reputation precedes you’? 

You’re welcome.

I see, they are so scared of his reputation (from Boise Idaho) about a month after he is hired, they are entering the transfer portal.

Makes perfect sense.

21 minutes ago, ThereGoesDavis said:

The grass isn’t always greener. I hope he’s not making a big mistake. Good luck to him 

As I have found out, the grass is always greener over the septic tank’s drain fields.

I still can't figure out why Big Kat is going through the portal. It wasn't that long ago that he said he'd would return for 2021.

On 1/10/2021 at 7:25 PM, auburnphan said:

When you can’t produce when Brown and Davidson are getting double teamed..............are you really starter material.  Bigger name than talent, wish him the best at grad school and his future career.

Agree. Not a big loss in my opinion. Good luck to him, as I think he may not be next level material. 

On 1/11/2021 at 4:13 PM, chizhead said:

Its telling who and how many are leaving.....I honestly think they don't want to put out the effort for a new staff

That’s exactly what he will be doing at his new school. He ain’t just gonna lolly gag at his next stop. 

On 1/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, ScotsAU said:

I don’t like the number of players leaving. It makes me think something is wrong behind the scenes. Are these players mad about Gus being fired? Are they not on board with the Harsin hire? Is it that they don’t like the new coaches coming in? This just seems like an insane number of transfers. 

My initial thoughts were the same, but I think now it is becoming more apparent to them that they may have to do some real work to maintain their positions on the depth chart. I don’t like the number of them leaving and this portal is doing to college football what the one and done has done to ncaa basketball. The ones returning are the important ones, as no one player is irreplaceable. Next year may be tough, but once we have a year under a new coach, a new mentality, more accountability and a good recruiting class, the program will begin to come alive again. Let’s just be honest, for as good a person as malzahn may be, the team and the fan base were showing signs of boredom and needed a change to jump start things. I’m reserving opinions on Harsin until year three at least. He has to change a whole culture. Just my thoughts. 

On 1/11/2021 at 2:59 PM, AU-24 said:

I see, they are so scared of his reputation (from Boise Idaho) about a month after he is hired, they are entering the transfer portal.

Makes perfect sense.

If you’re old enough to remember when Dye came, you should understand. If you’re not, I understand.

3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If you’re old enough to remember when Dye came, you should understand. If you’re not, I understand.

I really, really hope this hire works out! I do hope he is another Urban Meyer, I really do. Bottom line for some of us: we paid over $20 million to get rid of Gus (and it was time for a change) to hire a guy from the Mountain West Conference who’s now depleting the staff of Boise State and 2-8 South Carolina to fill the AU sidelines So it’s kind of scary, but I sure hope it works out.

Archived