Why Impeach Trump now?

AURex

For those who do not know, impeaching Trump has the following result --

1. He loses his $200,000+ lifelong pension
2. He loses his $1 Million per year travel allowance
3. He loses lifetime full secret service detail
4. He loses his ability to run again in 2024

The first 3, of course, involve many millions of dollars of taxpayer money, but the final item may be the most valuable for our country.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, AURex said:

The first 3, of course, involve many millions of dollars of taxpayer money, but the final item may be the most valuable for our country.

I was wondering about this when I saw it was occurring. Glad someone brought the 4-1-1! Thanks.

1 hour ago, AURex said:

I'll concede the first three if it means #4 comes to fruition.

Add to that list: It would go a long way to restoring our stature to the rest of the world as the largest - if not premier - example of a successful democracy that respects the rule of law.

They can impeach him if they so choose, but I think it is foolish for them to try to do it right away. If I recall, impeachment will take priority on the calendar over other things and shouldn't they be more concerned about whatever else they wanted to pass with the Covid relief bills? The could easily take car of more pressing issues first them do whatever. Unless by law they have to do it immediately, which I haven't looked to see. But if they don't have to do it immediately and make this their first priority, it will show that they have no intention of trying to heal this country. 

3 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

They can impeach him if they so choose, but I think it is foolish for them to try to do it right away. If I recall, impeachment will take priority on the calendar over other things and shouldn't they be more concerned about whatever else they wanted to pass with the Covid relief bills? The could easily take car of more pressing issues first them do whatever. Unless by law they have to do it immediately, which I haven't looked to see. But if they don't have to do it immediately and make this their first priority, it will show that they have no intention of trying to heal this country. 

They can do it later, but the sooner the better.

And failing to hold Trump accountable will not help to "heal" the country. If anything, taking him out of the political playing will start to heal the country.  After all, his entire M.O. is to provoke division.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

They can do it later, but the sooner the better.

And failing to hold Trump accountable will not help to "heal" the country. If anything, taking him out of the political playing will start to heal the country.  After all, his entire M.O. is to provoke division.

Disagree, we can hold him accountable after doing other things that need to be done first. Otherwise it will look like partisan politics as usual to hardcore Trump supporters. Impeaching him right now is no different than impeaching him two months from now. I say focus on more pressing issue then double back to him.

11 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Disagree, we can hold him accountable after doing other things that need to be done first. Otherwise it will look like partisan politics as usual to hardcore Trump supporters. Impeaching him right now is no different than impeaching him two months from now. I say focus on more pressing issue then double back to him.

If anyone actually thinks that impeaching a POTUS after he incited a seditionist mob to violently attack the capitol is partisan, then **** them.  They are part of the problem.

This is a far larger issue than you seem to think it is. 

The sitting POTUS just attempted a coup.  And it may not even be over.  We need to deal with it immediately.

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If anyone actually thinks that impeaching a POTUS after he incited a seditionist mob to violently attack the capitol is partisan, then **** them.  They are part of the problem.

This is a far larger issue than you seem to think it is. 

The sitting POTUS just attempted a coup.  And it may not even be over.  We need to deal with it immediately.

Tell that to people on both sides of the aisle that are looking at eviction from landlord, or unemployment assistance or whatever. Trump dropped the ball for 10 months with his response to the pandemic and now there's a chance Biden could make up some ground for the folks that need it and you are worried about impeachment of someone who will no longer be in power. Unless it can be done in record time, which to me means before he is out of office it can wait. After he's out there is no point wasting time in Congress until other things are done. Newsflash, it makes no difference if they put it off for several weeks. 

Tell that to people on both sides of the aisle that are looking at eviction from landlord, or unemployment assistance or whatever. Trump dropped the ball for 10 months with his response to the pandemic and now there's a chance Biden could make up some ground for the folks that need it and you are worried about impeachment of someone who will no longer be in power. Unless it can be done in record time, which to me means before he is out of office it can wait. After he's out there is no point wasting time in Congress until other things are done. Newsflash, it makes no difference if they put it off for several weeks. 

I'm actually OK with Clyburne's approach.  Impeach him now, but send the articles to the Senate after the first 100 days so some legislation can be done.  I think it would also help a lot of this die down and lead to a better chance of conviction.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I'm actually OK with Clyburne's approach.  Impeach him now, but send the articles to the Senate after the first 100 days so some legislation can be done.  I think it would also help a lot of this die down and lead to a better chance of conviction.

If that's what they are doing, I am cool with that, this is what they need to do instead of trying to make it the very first thing they deal with.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I'll concede the first three if it means #4 comes to fruition.

I bet trump would, too. 

Then he could just get fat(ter) off of ghost-written books, speaking engagements, and juggalo events hosted at his properties the rest of his life

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

it will show that they have no intention of trying to heal this country. 

This forum is a microcosm, but from all appearances there is no desire to heal this country.  

31 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

This forum is a microcosm, but from all appearances there is no desire to heal this country.  

Healing can only come if we're:

1) Holding those responsible for a damn insurrection responsible for their actions, and

2) We all start using the same basis of facts again.  Difference of opinions based on those is fine.

But you don't get set a fire to my home, walk away, and then say "We should work together to move forward".  No, there have to be consequences for that.

And where the hell was this healing talk when, just hours after an attack on the Capitol, legislators still repeatedly got up and peddled false claims of election irregularities?  Healing has to start with contrition.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Healing can only come if we're:

1) Holding those responsible for a damn insurrection responsible for their actions, and

2) We all start using the same basis of facts again.  Difference of opinions based on those is fine.

But you don't get set a fire to my home, walk away, and then say "We should work together to move forward".  No, there have to be consequences for that.

We agree in part, but for far too long people, political parties, companies, etc. have not been held accountable. As discussed in other recent threads, we have to identify why, have constructive conversation, address it and move forward. 

Biden has recommended a bifurcated schedule for the Senate. Work on legislation in the morning and then move to the impeachment trial.

5 hours ago, AURex said:

I’m going to have to double check number 4. I think that will require an additional vote to bar from holding federal office again.

George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley discusses why impeaching President Trump following Capitol protests could be harmful to the Constitution.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-speech-capitol-riot-impeachment-push-turley

25 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley discusses why impeaching President Trump following Capitol protests could be harmful to the Constitution.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-speech-capitol-riot-impeachment-push-turley

He’s right though. He never explicitly called for riots, one can argue what he meant by those words but without proof no court will uphold the impeachment. 

Could we add to the list number

5) Cause he incitied an armed attack on 1 of the 3 bodies of governent

I mean isn't really as simple as because he committed an obvious impeachable offense and every member should forever go on record as to how they responded to this attack on government.

(side note- the fbi released a memo stating that 50 armed protests are planned at various state captols) 

it's time for Republicans in congress to exercise some moral conviction and stand up to this BS

25 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

He’s right though. He never explicitly called for riots, one can argue what he meant by those words but without proof no court will uphold the impeachment. 

Yeah I read the entire speech. Aljazeera has it up. It is a mess. Typical Trump. One of the worst orators ever. But you are correct, he even called for a peaceful march. 

“I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.”

Here is a link to another article they have up: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/11/whether-trump-incited-capitol-riot-is-in-eye-of-the-beholder

54 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

*Ahem*

High crimes and misdemeanors are whatever the house determines them to be. 

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

*Ahem*

High crimes and misdemeanors are whatever the house determines them to be. 

Then there’s that pesky Supreme Court. 

Then there’s that pesky Supreme Court. 

Nope. There's no constitutional basis for a challenge. 

2 hours ago, AUUSN said:

I’m going to have to double check number 4. I think that will require an additional vote to bar from holding federal office again.

Contingent upon conviction, there would have to be a second vote. It would be a simple majority though. 

If the senate convicts, no way he survives that one. 

Archived