First Year Expectations - Harsin

RunInRed

Between NFL declarations, transfers and other recent movements, I think it's increasingly obvious the cupboard isn't exactly going to be full.  With that said, and admittedly, it's pretty premature, does everyone have realistic expectations for year 1 of the Harsin era?

"You can either have it right or have it right now"

Transfer Portal (not all recent but attrition over the last 2 years nonetheless)

• Cord Sandberg
  • Joey Gatewood
  • Malik Willis
  • D.J. Williams
  • Mark Antony-Richards
  • Harold Joiner
  • Boobie Whitlow
  • Coynis Miller
  • Big Kat Bryant
  • Daquan Newkirk
  • Charles Moore
  • Josh Marsh
  • Michael Harris
  • Octavius Brothers
  • Matthew Hill
  • Jashawn Sheffield
  • Marquis McClain
  • Zach Farrar
  • Justin Osborne

NFL Declarations

• Seth Williams
  • Anthony Schwartz
  • Eli Stove
  • K.J. Britt
  • Christian Tutt
  • Jordyn Peters

Decommitted / Not Coming

• Grant Calcaterra

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m cautiously optimistic! Depends on the transfer portal too much for any real tangible clues right now.

I'll break my wish list down into Measures of Performance and Measures of Effectiveness.

Measures of Performance:

- 7-5 or better

- Victory in Baton Rouge

- Bowl victory

- Top 10 recruiting class in 2022

Measures of Effectiveness:

- Disciplined play on both sides of the ball

- Bo Nix improves in his areas of weakness

- Effective pre-game preparation transfers to on-field performance

- Effective in-game adjustments

- Winning the battle at the line

- The offensive play calling actually schemes against the weaknesses of defenses

If the Measures of Effectiveness are fulfilled, I think we accomplish all the Measures of Performance and more.

I don’t expect much year 1.   Across the board we won’t have the talent that bama, uga, LSU, and maybe a couple of others will have.  and I think Ole Miss is going have a good year.   
CBH’s O and D systems are more complex than what we’ve been running, so I expect year 1 to be about learning and growing as a team.   
My expectations are:

1.  I would like to see improvement as the season progresses in most every area.  
2.  I hope to see a strong 2022 recruiting class that addresses our needs.  (which would include a legit OT for the first time in years!)

Thanks for the perspective @RunInRed 

In a nutshell for me, same as above already mentioned but, my expectations for next season is just to be competitive and at least be in a position to possibly win each game. With what we have lost player wise, new Offense being implemented, new defense being implemented, I just see a major rebuild happening. But not for the worse. Like I said I think the days of being blown out by halftime may be behind us. 

We will compete and play hard which may not equal wins but I think the whole conference will be putting AU in the "worried about" list. And I hope we get to play in a bowl game, and I hope we play Northwestern again next bowl season....Grrrrrrr. I want revenge. Of course, we will be in the playoffs after next year so we may not get to play them again.

Hard fought, competent play from the team. Adaptability when things go wrong. It is season 1 so as long as we don’t have a losing season and I see that stuff I am happy. 

My current expectation for yr 1 is to field a team.  At the rate of kids leaving and decommitting, I am worried we are going to play both ways in order to play games.

(video removed for language)

I had high hopes for 2021 before Gus was canned.  Probably looking at an average “solid” year of 8-4 maybe 7-5.  Gonna depend on Oline transfers and how quick the team picks up on the new playbook.  Definitely more of a rebuild year at this point.  That being said Auburn coaches have been known to have big years in seasons 1&2 over the past 20-30 years.  

Like other have stated, I want competitiveness, toughness, and an obvious direction.  I've never said we should win them all, but each game should be competitive.  I want to see logical player utilization and diverseness in roles. I want to see a winning attitude from all and nastiness from our boys in the trenches.

Tempered, for me.  I think we have an overall talent and depth deficiency, and a small class that's certainly not going to bandaid that.  before anyone gets in a bunch, i'm not saying we don't have talent, or even quite a bit of it, but i think we're deficient in numbers of talented players to compete with our biggest rivals.  So my hope is that we see progress in terms of a program headed in the right direction, even if that means a poor season as a result.  What I don't want to see is fumbling incompetence like what we saw at FSU year one.  

Just for reference, let's look at some of the very successful recent college coaches ...

• Nick Saban (Bama) Year 1, Year 2: 7-6, 12-2
  • Nick Saban (LSU): 8-4, 10-3
  • Dabo Swinney (Clemson): 4-3 (Interim), 9-5, 6-7, 10-4, 11-2 ....
  • Urban Meyer (FL): 9-3, 13-1
  • Urban Meyer (Ohio State): 12-0, 12-2
  • Bob Stoops (Oklahoma): 7-5, 13-0
  • Kirby Smart (Georgia): 8-5, 13-2
  • Dan Mullen (Florida): 10-3, 11-2
  • Jimbo Fisher (FSU): 10-4, 9-4
  • Jimbo Fisher (TAMU): 9-4, 8-5, 9-1
  • Ryan Day (Ohio State): 3-0 (Interim), 13-1
  • Brian Kelly (ND): 8-5, 8-5, 12-1, 
  • Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma): 12-2, 12-2

2 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Just for reference, let's look at some of the very successful recent college coaches ...

• Dabo Swinney (Clemson): 4-3 (Interim), 9-5, 6-7

So we are looking for Meyer at Ohio State.  hahahaha

10 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

If the NCAA makes the tranfers sit out a season, will that push some guys out of the portal and back onto the team?

This is something I have been wondering as well. Seems like many leaving are assuming they will be able to play next year. I hope they allow it though. I am really curious who Auburn can pull out of the portal.

7 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

• Dabo Swinney (Clemson): 4-3 (Interim), 9-5, 6-7
  • Jimbo Fisher (FSU): 10-4, 9-4
  • Jimbo Fisher (TAMU): 9-4, 8-5
  • Ryan Day (Ohio State): 3-0 (Interim), 13-1
  • Brian Kelly (ND): 8-5, 8-5

So if the trend continues with what we hope is a similar coach, we should have a really solid year.

7-5....but I could see 6-6.  We should win all non-conference and be 3-5 in the SEC.

I am looking for Pat Dye 1981 type team.  Dye ran off about half the team; but the ones left wanted to be at Auburn and when the game was over, people knew they had been in a damn bar-room brawl.  W/L wasn't there; but you could see the improvement; the people there cared more about playing than their draft stock.  

Fans will actually pull for this team rather than being distracted by ongoing coaching ineptitude and prima donna's.

There's no telling what the schedule will look like, which makes it harder to predict the ebb and flow of the season.  The smoked cabbage I ate yesterday tells me it could be ugly.  Once my gut settles down I might be more optimistic.  

Ole Miss and MSU look like teams that could pop off on any given Saturday and give teams fits.  Getting them early before the defense can get right could be problematic.  Same for Arkansas, even if they aren't as explosive on offense, and I expect everyone from the HC to the program vendors will be very motivated to play us in their building.  Those might be our three easiest conference games, which does not bode well.

But even if we start red hot we could crater in the second half of the season if we have road games at LSU and TAM to go along with UGA and uat at home.

I'm not sure who the other conference team will be.  UF, maybe Missouri, could be bad for us, Vandy or USCe could be good.

I saw one schedule that had us playing Akron, Georgia State, Alabama State, and at Penn State.  

WDE!

Archived