First Year Expectations - Harsin

RunInRed

38 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

I agree that some or most fans will cut him some slack and all should, but at least one post in this thread has an expectation to vie for a playoff berth. I don't think that is realistic.

It wasn't meant to be. Just a Gus lover lashing out. Not an Auburn lover.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on how well we do in the portal. If we limp into the season with with Tank and a bunch of new faces, I think we go into SEC play at 4-1 and lose out. If we can find some players in the portal, 7-5, 8-4.

I think 6-6 if we get extremely lucky then 7-5 not bashing just being realistic with the possibility of the cupboard being bare and new offense and defense there is gonna be some bumps. I do think we show improvement through out the year though and setup a better season 2.

SEC/National Champions or bust.

Nah. Bowl eligible, competitive in loses, covering the middle of field on 3rd and long (so tired of those being gimme first downs) and scoring touchdowns in the damn red zone. Do that and it's a solid first year.

I don't get the optimism people have of us beating Penn State at their place. Yes, Penn State had a bad year, but they still have a good amount of talent and finished the year fairly strong. I'd say they'll be a tougher game than Arky, SCar, and the Mississippi schools.   

It is going to be a tough year. Thanks to the refs we had a winning record this year but we were terrible. Can we fix the QB in one year? Maybe/maybe not. Can we fix the OL in one year with NO elite OL left to recruit this year? No. We are down to 1 RB - what if he gets hurt like he did this year? Starters on DL, although not very productive, leave us  and we we are thin. 

I think we will need a few years to change the program. Also I want to see how we do in recruiting OL and DL specifically. Can we get a top QB? These are the things that will make Harsin successful. 

5 hours ago, japantiger said:

7-5....but I could see 6-6.  We should win all non-conference and be 3-5 in the SEC.

I am looking for Pat Dye 1981 type team.  Dye ran off about half the team; but the ones left wanted to be at Auburn and when the game was over, people knew they had been in a damn bar-room brawl.  W/L wasn't there; but you could see the improvement; the people there cared more about playing than their draft stock.  

Fans will actually pull for this team rather than being distracted by ongoing coaching ineptitude and prima donna's.

Perxactly. A team with the character and effort of 1981.

The first couple of seasons will be rough.  Players are going to transfer because they are not used to being coached and having a tough hard nosed aproach to things.  Not like the grass is any greener where other coaches are winning.  All of the players that stay are about to find out what true work ethic really is.  I have full faith in this staff but we must be patient

Why are we having so many guys enter the portal? Is it the coaching change? Is it happening naturally because of NCAA rules due to Covid? If so, wouldn't this be happening to many other teams? What's going on?

Physical, disciplined football. 

Consist QB play (consistently good, not consistently inconsistent).

Offensive game plans that actually look like we have a plan once we are punched in the mouth. 

A win at LSU

I'm expecting 8 wins next season, but depending on how the portal shakes out, we could compete for 10. 

8-9 wins and upsetting UGA would be cause to celebrate. And then not crap out pants in a bowl game and actually win one. 

27 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

8-9 wins and upsetting UGA would be cause to celebrate. And then not crap out pants in a bowl game and actually win one. 

Would be great but I think that is probably more like year two. As things stand right now, we could realistically be looking at 6-6 for year one. Installing a new offensive system, working on a QB's accuracy issues and still not having any dominant offensive tackles... It could get ugly for 2021. (Heck, it was ugly this past season too). 

On the bright side, every new AU coach has a great season in the first couple of years so we know the wins are coming soon enough right? Maybe for once, we could just not do the precipitous and shocking decline thereafter. 

5 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

On the bright side, every new AU coach has a great season in the first couple of years so we know the wins are coming soon enough right? Maybe for once, we could just not do the precipitous and shocking decline thereafter. 

This is what I’m basing my prediction on. Our last 4 coaches have played for an SEC title or had an undefeated season in their first 2 seasons. The 5th, Coach Dye inherited a complete rebuild and won 9 games and a bowl and beat Bama his second year, huge feats at that time. The difference now is that our coach is laying a strategic foundation to sustain any success he has early. War Eagle. 

Pros to season-

1. The schedule, namely the return of the 3 cupcakes for 3 free wins. OOC game is at Penn State, who should be decent, but Auburn may have a bye week before it (depending on SEC schedule). SEC east rotational opponent is USCe, who despite beating us last year, is the best draw we could have from the east other than Vandy. Two big conference toss up games are at home too with Miss and Miss St. 

2. Speaking of Vandy, coach Mason should keep our defense at a pretty good to good level. This will keep us in most games until at least the 3rd quarter, which will give us a chance against anyone. 

Cons to season-

1. To me, Gus left Harsin nothing to work with on the o-line (mostly transfers and 3 stars) and the d-line just lost two serviceable members to the portal. SEC west games and Penn St will be won at the line of scrimmage.

2.Seth Williams is now gone who, despite his drops and fumbles, was our only true 1 WR. With Bo not having strong mechanics, this could handicap the passing game pretty heavily. 

3. Lack of RB depth behind Tank.

My expectations are pretty low given what I'm looking at. I'll be happy with 6 or 7 wins and bowl berth, players not quitting in games, and the return to "Auburn" levels of recruiting. 

43 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Would be great but I think that is probably more like year two. As things stand right now, we could realistically be looking at 6-6 for year one. Installing a new offensive system, working on a QB's accuracy issues and still not having any dominant offensive tackles... It could get ugly for 2021. (Heck, it was ugly this past season too). 

That's what I'm hoping for.  Dye had a rebuilding year, a decent year w/ earth shattering win over bamr and then took off.  Tuberville...similar.  Prefer not to have Bowden & Gus type trajectories.

I want to see competitive football. Plain and simple. If they play hard and never fold under pressure, they have a shot against anyone. All the transfers raise some concern, but we could replace them. CBH and Co will also sign some guys that can help replace some of the losses. We need physical and competent football on both sides of the ball. We also need to see some serious consistency on offense and I think we will with this new offense that college teams should be running. 

If I had to guess today, 1/11/21, Auburn will be favored in every game except for 3 (vs Bama, vs UGA, @ LSU or @ TAMU) but there's no telling what those two teams will be like next year. Ole Miss will be a tough game as wil Arkansas.

CBH and Co. can make a HUGE statement going up to Happy Valley and coming out with a victory.

Call me crazy, but I don't see the sky falling. This team should a real attitude and it will be the difference in some games.

it 'll depends how good they can recruit 5* kids, that's what GA and Bama did

for 2021, 4 or 5  losses is ok to me, as long as they can get a top 5 recruiting class in 2022

10 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

I'll break my wish list down into Measures of Performance and Measures of Effectiveness.

Measures of Performance:

- 7-5 or better

- Victory in Baton Rouge

- Bowl victory

- Top 10 recruiting class in 2022

Measures of Effectiveness:

- Disciplined play on both sides of the ball

- Bo Nix improves in his areas of weakness

- Effective pre-game preparation transfers to on-field performance

- Effective in-game adjustments

- Winning the battle at the line

- The offensive play calling actually schemes against the weaknesses of defenses

If the Measures of Effectiveness are fulfilled, I think we accomplish all the Measures of Performance and more.

You nailed it in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, JTFazz said:

It won't surprise me that some will have completely unrealistic expectations and will expect nothing short of a New Year's Six Bowl victory without starting a #FireHarsin campaign

So you didn't read the thread?

18 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Here's next year's opponents (schedule not released yet) ...

image.png

Every team we play is getting better than they were and has better coaching than last year. 

The west is starting to look much tougher outside LSU/Bama/Aggies. It's going to be pretty difficult to know what Ark/State/Ole Miss will look like

We should have 3 OOC wins, USCe, then there isn't a single game I'd call a win right now. Bama/UGA are probably losses. Everything else is a toss up. 

Bobo can harnessing Bo is probably a key. Could take a 7-5 season to 9 wins. 

Not even looking at our record next year.  More comparable to 1981 for me and Pay Dye's first year.  Whole program needs a cultural change and with some attrition this year due to transfers and guys leaving early, I'm not expecting immediate success.  Care much more about how we play.  Are we competitive against Bama, UGA, LSU, and Penn State, particularly in the road games?  Do we look like we're trying to impose our will on offense again?  Is play calling mixed and creative?  Are we seeing players get better?

Basically, show me hope for progress.

Archived