First Year Expectations - Harsin

RunInRed

I hope to not see a low percentage 30 yard fade pass down the side line on 3 and 4 from the opponent's 45 yard line. When two simple dive plays would likely get the 4 yards.

Malzahn always tried to coach smarter than he actually was.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Realistically, we shouldn't give much judgement to this staff until the 2023 season.

As far as W/L record, I agree with this.  Between now and then we should hope to see some signs of the plan coming together (improved play, recruiting meeting needs, better coaching/scheming to our strengths and opponents weaknesses, etc.).   For the next 2 years, I think 6-6 to 9-3 is a reasonable expectation, with the improvements mentioned taking place along the way.  

10 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I hope to not see a low percentage 30 yard fade pass down the side line on 3 and 4 from the opponent's 45 yard line. When two simple dive plays would likely get the 4 yards.

Malzahn always tried to coach smarter than he actually was.

So many times you could hear him thinking, "They'll never see this coming"...and then we punted

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

So many times you could hear him thinking, "They'll never see this coming"...and then we punted

Or faked going for it and caught them with to many men on the field. CGM had his moments, but just not enough of them.

22 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Two in a game, especially the distance is bordering on luck.  Agree we did have to make those plays

Agree IB 2013 was good coaching and more absurdity vs luck

How often is a kick-off returned for a touchdown? Bama also had another score off of a turnover when Auburn was driving at the time of the turnover. It wasn’t luck, it is the game of football. Saban had extremely, much more talent than Auburn, was out-coached, out-schemed, out-tricked and lost!

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Or faked going for it and caught them with to many men on the field. CGM had his moments, but just not enough of them.

I'd prefer a better ratio than 1:5000

55 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

How often is a kick-off returned for a touchdown? Bama also had another score off of a turnover when Auburn was driving at the time of the turnover. It wasn’t luck, it is the game of football. Saban had extremely, much more talent than Auburn, was out-coached, out-schemed, out-tricked and lost!

Yeah, I literally just said it was good coaching 

After wins 1 and 2, I pledge not to expect a 12-0 season. After psu, I pledge not to expect 12 wins or call for firing the staff. Changing culture entirely, and having to install new O and D with LESS than 1 recruiting cycle during COVID-19 is insane hard. No way to know if starting O and D lines emerge from practice cohesive and injury free. So, despite a few coaches inheriting a full cupboard and getting 8 or more wins in the first season during pandemic-free seasons, I don’t assume Harsin will have such luck. That is the least likely scenario given circumstances. If it happens, be thankful and buy a lottery ticket. Easy to wish: silly to claim to expect it. I’m not going to be one of the unpaid analysts (fans) on Harsin’s back in years 1 and 2 unless there are new and severe dysfunctions truly under his control (I.e., Petrino/Pruitt/Freeze-isms). I would bet a soda that the team looks remarkably  more competent and powerful by game 4 through end of the season, regardless of record. Seasons 3 and 4 will probably be really FUN (again)! Thereafter, the sky is the limit. W D E!

Make no mistake, Auburn with this new coaching staff, MUST be very competitive in every game, no blowouts, and win all the games they should win -- Ole Miss, Miss State, Arky, A&M, cupcakes, Penn State, East teams other than UGA. Auburn really needs to beat LSU. Yes, I know, Auburn NEVER wins in Death Valley, but Auburn really needs to win that game.

Auburn must be COMPETITIVE vs UGA and Bama.

Why?

This was a very down year for recruiting. And if Auburn does not perform really well during the coming season, I anticipate another very down year in recruiting for the 2022 class. And if the 2022 recruiting class is not in the top 10, we can expect a rebuild that involves several years (or more).

Bama, UGA, LSU, A&M, Florida -- they are not going away. Step up or get left behind.

What will the final W-L record be? I have no clue.

Call me crazy (cause I am) but we’re going 9-4 with a bowl win. 🤪

4 hours ago, AURex said:

Make no mistake, Auburn with this new coaching staff, MUST be very competitive in every game, no blowouts, and win all the games they should win -- Ole Miss, Miss State, Arky, A&M, cupcakes, Penn State, East teams other than UGA. Auburn really needs to beat LSU. Yes, I know, Auburn NEVER wins in Death Valley, but Auburn really needs to win that game.

Auburn must be COMPETITIVE vs UGA and Bama.

Why?

This was a very down year for recruiting. And if Auburn does not perform really well during the coming season, I anticipate another very down year in recruiting for the 2022 class. And if the 2022 recruiting class is not in the top 10, we can expect a rebuild that involves several years (or more).

Bama, UGA, LSU, A&M, Florida -- they are not going away. Step up or get left behind.

What will the final W-L record be? I have no clue.

Yeah this year I would rather go 6-6 and be tough and competitive in all our losses than 8-4 with blowout losses.

I think if Auburn can go 9-3 or 8-4 in the regular season with a new coach, coach Harsin is off to a great start in his first year as AU's head Tiger.

To expand, what should our expectations be for each the next five or so years? I feel like we should be able to have a 2019-level season by 2023. By 2025, a 2013-level. :)

When you want success as badly as you want the air, then you will get it. There is no other secret of success.

--Socrates

My expectations for next season is for Harsin to get ALL the players to work hard, play hard & knock the hell out of each & every opponent!  

3 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

My expectations for next season is for Harsin to get ALL the players to work hard, play hard & knock the hell out of each & every opponent!  

As Slim Pickens said to Harvey Korman, "... darnit Mr. Lamarr, you use your toungue better than a .....", I forget how it goes. Anyway, nobody could have said it any better!

Hey. Is that you Coach Harsin???

Archived