We ever gonna get a Transfer?!

AUght2win

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I can't bring myself to sweat LSU or Arky. And yes, I already know why I should. 

I don't think a single player on our team was alive the last time we beat LSU in Baton Rogue.  I'd sweat it

50 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

On offense you are correct. But defense is a total rebuild basically. 

Besides all of the transfers and kids declaring for the draft, we are swapping from a 4-2-5 base to a 3-4 base. Our current DEs will be stand up linebackers in this defense. We dont have any true NTs, we dont have 3-4 DEs. Swapping from a 1 gap technique to a 2 gap technique requires a different style of DL. And almost our entire DB group is gone. Luckily most of our LBs are staying...

Defense is almost a complete rebuild. But in the long run it will be worth it as it will better prepare kids for the next level which helps recruiting.

I don't think it's as bad as you say.  We're brining back 3/4th of our starting secondary.  I think guys like Jay Hardy, Colby Wooden, and Zykeivous Walker are more 3/4 DEs than 4/3 DTs.  Probably missing that true nose, but I feel like our front 7 fits a 3/4 better than a 4/3

52 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Besides all of the transfers and kids declaring for the draft, we are swapping from a 4-2-5 base to a 3-4 base. Our current DEs will be stand up linebackers in this defense. We dont have any true NTs, we dont have 3-4 DEs. Swapping from a 1 gap technique to a 2 gap technique requires a different style of DL. And almost our entire DB group is gone. Luckily most of our LBs are staying...

Defense is almost a complete rebuild. But in the long run it will be worth it as it will better prepare kids for the next level which helps recruiting.

I had the same concern, and voiced it on another thread. Apparently Mason has transitioned more toward 4 man fronts the last few years to keep up with modern offenses, and almost every defense is really a base nickel now since most teams are running 3-4 wr sets on offense. Besides, Steele’s defense was more of a 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 hybrid anyway. The buck position was not that dissimilar from a 3-4 style outside linebacker.

If we were going to have a small class this would be the time since the minions at the NCAA gave players a pass for 2020. That would assume we don't get "too" many more go into the transfer portal.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Bro what? Our entire DB group is BACK!!! Monday, McCreary are for sure back. As of right now, Sherwood hasn't declared either. Also all our young talent is a year older - Pritchett, Simpson.

The only guy we lost is Tutt, which may be addition by subtraction 

ON getting a transfer soon.

I doubt we get very many soon.

Harsin's best move is to wait until he can evaluate the talent we HAVE  and decide what WE NEED.   

There are some obvious spots (RB),  but he has never seen most of our players in practice or games.  There is likely  be some underclassmen or unknown names or Malzahn "benchwarmers" that can fill some needs very well.   

Why rush after stars now if we find we have needs at other positions during spring?   

We only have a few scholarship spots to give.   We need to be selective.   Until Harsin knows who can do what,  he will not know what we really NEED.  

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Who is the true freshman? I was under the impression we didn’t have anyone signed for this class.

There isn’t one yet, but all indications point to signing one in February 

11 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

ON getting a transfer soon.

I doubt we get very many soon.

Harsin's best move is to wait until he can evaluate the talent we HAVE  and decide what WE NEED.   

There are some obvious spots (RB),  but he has never seen most of our players in practice or games.  There is likely  be some underclassmen or unknown names or Malzahn "benchwarmers" that can fill some needs very well.   

Why rush after stars now if we find we have needs at other positions during spring?   

We only have a few scholarship spots to give.   We need to be selective.   Until Harsin knows who can do what,  he will not know what we really NEED.  

Feel like waiting now and you're missing a massive window.  With the assumed transfer rules, you're seeing a massive flood into the portal right now.  I see ppl saying more will transfer in the spring, but I don't think we've ever seen the amount transfer as we are right now. 

Harsin can evaluate enough on tape & talking to staff/coaches to figure out what we need.  Spots can be left open after spring.

Waiting for spring transfers seems to be like ppl still thinking there are good players left for February Signing Day.  You've missed the boat if you're waiting for spring, just finding scraps at that point

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Our 4-2-5 DL was basically a 3-4 with an attached LB.  Not this year, but our ends have been playing 270+ and our buck at 260+. Those are typical sized ends for a 3-4.

The area that might be affected is the size of our ILB. They are very small

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope sign some. We need RB's and a QB.

yeah,   we need to fill some glairing needs.  Couple RBs, 1-2 QB and some  linemen. But we can not get them just to have bodies.  They need to be able to help. 

I  hope we don't fill up before spring tho.  

Just an extreme example to show my point:

8 TEs sounds like a lot, but imagine during spring, Harsin finds out only 3 of those 8  fit his system and are gamers.    2 of those 3 decide to transfer,  and the last gets an injury.    Suddenly we need a TE.

Now e are deepest at TE,  but this could happen at many other position where we are paper thin. 

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

yeah,   we need to fill some glairing needs.  Couple RBs, 1-2 QB and some  linemen. But we can not get them just to have bodies.  They need to be able to help. 

I  hope we don't fill up before spring tho.  

Just an extreme example to show my point:

8 TEs sounds like a lot, but imagine during spring, Harsin finds out only 3 of those 8  fit his system and are gamers.    2 of those 3 decide to transfer,  and the last gets an injury.    Suddenly we need a TE.

Now e are deepest at TE,  but this could happen at many other position where we are paper thin. 

Those 2 transfering TE's will leave behind 2 vacant schollies

2 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

There isn’t one yet, but all indications point to signing one in February 

I’m feel pretty sure we’ll get Jarquez Hunter 

Position Rank: No. 44 running back

Schools Involved: Auburn, Mississippi State, Memphis

-The three-star running back averaged 210.8 rushing yards a game as a senior at Philadelphia (Miss.) at Neshoba Central.  He also has some speed to him as he was a state qualifier in the 100-meter dash as a sophomore.-

We were shooting for Ty Chandler, who would’ve been a tremendous RB pick up out of the portal, but he committed to the Tar Heels today

2 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Those 2 transfering TE's will leave behind 2 vacant schollies

according to the board earlier,  we do not get to replace those schollies.   We can only count back 3 or 5.   Max 28 per year.   

3 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

according to the board earlier,  we do not get to replace those schollies.   We can only count back 3 or 5.   Max 28 per year.   

Max this year is 25. We don't have any vacant slots from the 2020 class to back-fill.

If this Jason Brown guy ever stepped into a throw, he might seriously injure a receiver.

Unbelievable arm strength.

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

Our 4-2-5 DL was basically a 3-4 with an attached LB.  Not this year, but our ends have been playing 270+ and our buck at 260+. Those are typical sized ends for a 3-4.

The area that might be affected is the size of our ILB. They are very small

That may be why TD Moultry is staying and they plan to move him back to LB. His size fits the inside LB since so many of our current guys are small. I loved McClain and he could hit but he also could get road graded many times too...

5 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

Any chance Wanya Morris comes here? Rumors are that he’s entered the portal. Maybe he’d like to follow Friend. 

Most rumors point to him to OK

Archived