Tracy Rocker -- DL Coach

W.E.D

Continuing to blend USCe and Boise Staff.  So much for waiting on NFL coaches for the DL

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In his first season with the Razorbacks, UA's 2003 defensive line helped the Hogs finish fifth in the SEC in total defense, allowing 344.0 yards per game. In 2004, Rocker coached first-team All-SEC end Jeb Huckeba, who produced 56 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks. Huckeba was as selected in the fifth round of the NFL Draft. Rocker's 2005 unit tied for second in the SEC with 29 sacks and was fourth in rushing defense behind Jackson, who earned second-team All-SEC honors after finishing fourth on the team with 74 tackles. 

Under Rocker's guidance, Jamaal Anderson was the premier pass rusher in the SEC in 2006 with 14 sacks for 100 yards and 20.5 tackles for loss. The honorable mention All-American ranked third nationally in sacks per game with 1.0, while his 20.5 TFL ranked 12th. Anderson also notched 65 tackles and a team-best 26 quarterback hurries. Anderson was selected as the eighth pick of the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft, while fellow Razorback defensive lineman Keith Jackson was taken in the seventh round. 

In 2010, Rocker coached 2010 Lombardi Awardwinner, AP All-American defensive lineman, and AP SEC defensive player of the year  Nick Fairley, as well as AP second-team All-SEC defensive lineman Antoine Carter. Fairley led the SEC with 21 tackles for loss and was second in the SEC with 10.5 sacks.  

Rocker was a member of the Auburn staff which won the 2011 BCS National Championship Game.

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Again, not my first choice but we have to give the guy a chance!!! He is a former Auburn player and a good coach. The knock on him is that he cannot recruit.

He hates recruiting.  I'm not sure why he didn't stay in the NFL.  Doesn't seem to fit with Harsin

I personally didn’t want to see Rodney go since he is such a good recruiter but Rocker certainly had our D line looking very good in 2010 and did a great job with Fairley.  

2 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I have mixed feelings about this, if true.  Rumor has it that Rocker is not big on recruiting.

I don’t know if any of that is true or not, but I do know that he is a tough DLine coach.    He just needs to get the players onto campus and show them Outland Trophy and say this is what I’m going to turn you into     

7 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I don’t know if any of that is true or not, but I do know that he is a tough DLine coach.    He just needs to get the players onto campus and show them Outland Trophy and say this is what I’m going to turn you into     

Unfortunately recruiting takes more than that.  I don't think anyone would doubt he was (maybe is still) a good football coach.  The problem is that doesn't usually cut it in College.  He need to recruit and be good at it.  Harsin essentially outline this in his press conference.  

I think you can get by with a coach or two who don't/can't recruit, but it's definitely a working with an arm tied behind your back.

26 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Continuing to blend USCe and Boise Staff.  So much for waiting on NFL coaches for the DL

Shane Beamer is gonna hate Harsin for sure.  Clearly we pick whoever we want from his staff and he’s left scratching his head.

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That pod cast on VisorSportsSC was a lot of anger toward the coaches who left SC.  Also some venting toward Muschamp.  There is going to be some bad blood when we play I suspect.  

7 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

His resume speaks for itself. I think he should be able to recruit just fine 

He didn't. We'd need someone else landing the recruits. He's a developer for sure but not a recruiter at all.

Need a stud recruiter for this position.  The DL may very well be the most important position on defense.

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Just because he wasn’t before doesn’t mean he can’t now. 

He hates doing it. That doesn't change.

We're raiding a 2-8 South Carolina staff.

2 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

That pod cast on VisorSportsSC was a lot of anger toward the coaches who left SC.  Also some venting toward Muschamp.  There is going to be some bad blood when we play I suspect.  

Hopefully they don't beat us for a 2nd time in 90 years

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Are you ever happy?

I'm not sure why it's difficult to just be honest.  @Zeek is correct.  Rocker hates recruiting.  He has for his entire time in college.  He left UGA b/c he was bad and accidentally texted a recruit that he was a baby and needed attention.

Archived