2021 New Staff (Complete... again)

Zeek

Sad to see the news today that Rocker will not be a part of the staff. I thought his experience in the SEC mixed in nicely with the rest of the defensive staff. The good news is that we actually did pretty well on DL during the early signing period so if there was one position that we had to be without a coach for the Feb singing day then i think DL is the one that would hurt the least.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, cole256 said:

Wait.....so rocker gave us a chance to match?? If that's true everybody who has a problem is just stupid imo

That to me is amazing if true. 

So this is the perfect time to make the right hire. Not a splash hire. The guy who is going to follow DM vision, who can develop , show that he is committed. These are the reasons that young , hungry coaches are often sought out for positions like these.

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

I saw that the jgt dude said it and harsin told him to kick rocks

Dang can you link it? I will also search for it as well. 

4 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

That to me is amazing if true. 

I know right? Like pay for quality. I'm sure he'd do the same for his contract* if true of course

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

Wait.....so rocker gave us a chance to match?? If that's true everybody who has a problem is just stupid imo

Specifically, Jay Tate said that yes, Rocker came back 10 days after agreeing to the salary and terms of the job asking us to match Philly's offer.  Whether Rocker was doing that to be nice as a formality or was trying to really finagle more money out of us less than two weeks in is an open question.

But what one of the other insiders on the Bunker said was that part of the interview process with Harsin was that he wanted at least a 2-3 year commitment from anyone taking the job that they wouldn't entertain other offers as he wanted stability as he worked to change the program culture at Auburn.  Everyone agreed to that, including Rocker.  So when Rocker came back just 10 days in with this, Harsin told Rocker he should take the Philly job.  

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Specifically, Jay Tate said that yes, Rocker came back 10 days after agreeing to the salary and terms of the job asking us to match Philly's offer.  Whether Rocker was doing that to be nice as a formality or was trying to really finagle more money out of us less than two weeks in is an open question.

But what one of the other insiders on the Bunker said was that part of the interview process with Harsin was that he wanted at least a 2-3 year commitment from anyone taking the job that they wouldn't entertain other offers as he wanted stability as he worked to change the program culture at Auburn.  Everyone agreed to that, including Rocker.  So when Rocker came back just 10 days in with this, Harsin told Rocker he should take the Philly job.  

To me it doesn't matter intent, nice, or whatever it's what grown ups do with business. I can see both sides a little. Don't know how you could really be upset with rocker imo. And there's waaay too much he said stuff to be making a judgement either way. But of course this is my opinion and I certainly can't tell anyone else theirs. I can just explain why to me it's stupid

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

It's in a Facebook group I can screen shot it but I don't know if that's against any rules or not.....I'm not the person that can just break rules at the moment if you catch my drift 😂😂

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

To me it doesn't matter intent, nice, or whatever it's what grown ups do with business. I can see both sides a little. Don't know how you could really be upset with rocker imo. And there's waaay too much he said stuff to be making a judgement either way. But of course this is my opinion and I certainly can't tell anyone else theirs. I can just explain why to me it's stupid

I think jobs involving your alma mater are more tricky when it comes to being ruthlessly "all about business."  And I don't know of any employer on earth that would take kindly to being asked to renegotiate 10 days after an agreement.

But even if it's not your alma matter,  what it really comes down to is whether he agreed to the 2-3 year commitment mentioned.  If that part is accurate, you gave your word not to go job hunting or entertain other offers for at least 2 years.  Unless Auburn did something to go back on what they agreed to, or did something else unethical or underhanded, you stick to your word even if it costs you in the short term.  That's just basic "be a man of your word" stuff.

I'm not going to bash Rocker for taking a higher paying job and one he would rather have. But it is bad form in the professional world to accept a job and start a job and then leave less than 2 weeks later. I understand why Rocker made his decision and if Auburn decided he was black balled from being considered as a coach here in the future i would also understand that decision. 

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is the thread.  We're not going to just screenshot or copy/paste verbatim but I've given a general synopsis of the pertinent info.  If you have an Auburn Rivals sub, you can read the thread here:

https://auburn.forums.rivals.com/threads/a-little-more-insight-on-rocker.1101471/unread

I will also add this:  Even if you take the alma mater part of this out, in the real world if this scenario went down you do need to ask yourself whether you may wish to work at this company that you're about to bail on so soon down the road sometime.  Because no matter what you want to say, it's very possible that you'll poison that well for a while.  You've clearly communicated to them that they are second best (if that).  And they now have to spend more time and money to start this process all over and it's possible that the other candidates they could have chosen over you originally are now at other jobs and unavailable.  It's going to leave a bad taste in their mouths no matter how you slice it, no matter how much you believe and communicate that it wasn't "personal, it's just business."  

If you're willing to take that hit, do what you gotta do.  But you can't really get upset about the fallout if it comes.

I understand it from both sides.

If I'm Harsin I'd tell him to kick rocks too. Auburn has money yes but we don't need to be in a bidding war with an NFL team for a guy you already have on campus and who, you thought, was already committed to your program.

If you're Tracy Rocker you gave Auburn a chance to match at least. Now you'll take the bigger check with higher prestige somewhere else. Personally, I'd stay committed to the team I just signed with and that was my alma mater and I came to help rejuvenate... but I do understand from his perspective why it makes sense.

It admittedly stinks for us but we'll thrive. It's better than it happening months from now when he's built up relationships with recruits and gotten tight with our current players. Next guy up please.

7 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'm not going to bash Rocker for taking a higher paying job and one he would rather have. But it is bad form in the professional world to accept a job and start a job and then leave less than 2 weeks later. I understand why Rocker made his decision and if Auburn decided he was black balled from being considered as a coach here in the future i would also understand that decision. 

Well said. The issue I have if he’s leaving is the context. Harsin is coming in and plainly stating his mission: create a long term championship program at AU, and do it with guys who are all in the building if that culture. The very framework of Harsin’s mission is to do it with coaches who care deeply about AU as an institution and football program. Knowing that, you respect that vision and become part of it or you don’t. TR is a seasoned coach who should recognize that, especially as an alum. All in my humble opinion. 

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think jobs involving your alma mater are more tricky when it comes to being ruthlessly "all about business."  And I don't know of any employer on earth that would take kindly to being asked to renegotiate 10 days after an agreement.

But even if it's not your alma matter,  what it really comes down to is whether he agreed to the 2-3 year commitment mentioned.  If that part is accurate, you gave your word not to go job hunting or entertain other offers for at least 2 years.  Unless Auburn did something to go back on what they agreed to, or did something else unethical or underhanded, you stick to your word even if it costs you in the short term.  That's just basic "be a man of your word" stuff.

Right there are a bunch of if and buts and mights.....I just don't believe in the alma mater stuff. I can't think of too many that has given more than this man to this school. And as seen nobody is trying to give him any leeway or discount why should he. No matter what as far as value he's on the lesser side. Why would the lesser ever give a discount? We'll have to hire a less quality coach or less valued but hopefully he'll be a diamond in the rough

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Right there are a bunch of if and buts and mights.....I just don't believe in the alma mater stuff. I can't think of too many that has given more than this man to this school. And as seen nobody is trying to give him any leeway or discount why should he. No matter what as far as value he's on the lesser side. Why would the lesser ever give a discount? We'll have to hire a less quality coach or less valued but hopefully he'll be a diamond in the rough

Well to be clear, we weren't asking him to give a discount.  He was asking us to pay a premium for a college position coach.  We were already paying him more than what he was making before and something that is quite in line with a college position coach.  Not to mention we may still be on the hook for his SC buyout.  If he didn't like that offer, he could have stayed at SC.

But also, whether you believe in the alma mater stuff, it's reality.  Your belief in it doesn't change that it complicates things.  It's sort of like going to work for family or a good friend.  You can say "it's just business" all day long but it doesn't change that this course of action will be taken a bit differently than if you'd played out the same scenario somewhere else.

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I will also add this:  Even if you take the alma mater part of this out, in the real world if this scenario went down you do need to ask yourself whether you may wish to work at this company that you're about to bail on so soon down the road sometime.  Because no matter what you want to say, it's very possible that you'll poison that well for a while.  You've clearly communicated to them that they are second best (if that).  And they now have to spend more time and money to start this process all over and it's possible that the other candidates they could have chosen over you originally are now at other jobs and unavailable.  It's going to leave a bad taste in their mouths no matter how you slice it, no matter how much you believe and communicate that it wasn't "personal, it's just business."  

If you're willing to take that hit, do what you gotta do.  But you can't really get upset about the fallout if it comes.

Right it's unfortunate that you may have to pick go for the homerun or do the stable thing like I said statistically going for the pro may be a once in a lifetime. Maybe a different decision if not so likely of a chance.

Being angry at a man for doing what he think is best for him is something I personally can't do. And you'd think for what's he's provided he'd get a little more leeway

I wonder what the difference in the contract dollars was?

The cost of living in Philly is so significantly greater than Auburn, I’d think to come out even his contract would have to be double. That’s just from the money side and not taking into account other job factors.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Well to be clear, we weren't asking him to give a discount.  He was asking us to pay a premium for a college position coach.  We were already paying him more than what he was making before and something that is quite in line with a college position coach.  Not to mention we may still be on the hook for his SC buyout.  If he didn't like that offer, he could have stayed at SC.

But also, whether you believe in the alma mater stuff, it's reality.  Your belief in it doesn't change that it complicates things.  It's sort of like going to work for family or a good friend.  You can say "it's just business" all day long but it doesn't change that this course of action will be taken a bit differently than if you'd played out the same scenario somewhere else.

So you'd be mad at a friend or family member in this situation?

Integrity has to be a part of your character.   Harsin asked for a commitment as part of the job.   This is lateral and Rocker has been in the NFL.  

Also, this isn't a move to an existing program; I mean,  Harsin is building his program and this is a 'turnaround' that Rocker agreed to be a part of.   (I don't think our creed has the word integrity in it, but it inferred with truthfulness).

If this is was a logical promotion to DC or similar, then you got to take the call I guess.  Otherwise,  be polite, smile, text your wife and get back to work.  

I am a bit disappointed.  Again - this is not a promo or his first chance in the NFL

That's my 2 cents.

Just now, cole256 said:

Right it's unfortunate that you may have to pick go for the homerun or do the stable thing like I said statistically going for the pro may be a once in a lifetime. Maybe a different decision if not so likely of a chance.

But of course, it's not once in a lifetime.  He already left Auburn for the NFL once before.

Just now, cole256 said:

Being angry at a man for doing what he think is best for him is something I personally can't do. And you'd think for what's he's provided he'd get a little more leeway

It's a touchy situation to do this to an employer no matter what the circumstances.  That's just reality.

1 minute ago, AUGoo said:

I wonder what the difference in the contract dollars was?

The cost of living in Philly is so significantly greater than Auburn, I’d think to come out even his contract would have to be double. That’s just from the money side and not taking into account other job factors.

I thought that but what if his ambitions are to be a NFL coach or coord or even college head coach? Well then this might make sense

If this additional context is correct, it sounds like both people, Coach Rocker and Coach Harsin, made the choice they thought best. I can see why both of them would believe the made the right decision.  Whether or not I think I would have made the same choices is irrelevant. I don’t know all the info.

Archived