2021 New Staff (Complete... again)

Zeek

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

So you'd be mad at a friend or family member in this situation?

Me personally?  It would depend on the specifics of the situation.  But I'm not the one doing the hiring here.  I'm just telling you how most employers are going to feel about a situation like this.  If you're going to ruthlessly be about business here, just know that companies aren't run by dispassionate robots.  They are run by people and if you do this, you're probably burning some bridges, at least for a while.  If you add in the relationship element of family, friends, or alma maters, it's only magnified.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Me personally?  It would depend on the specifics of the situation.  But I'm not the one doing the hiring here.  I'm just telling you how most employers are going to feel about a situation like this.  If you're going to ruthlessly be about business here, just know that companies aren't run by dispassionate robots.  They are run by people and if you do this, you're probably burning some bridges, at least for a while.  If you add in the relationship element of family, friends, or alma maters, it's only magnified.

Right like I said maybe so. It would be hilarious and perfect karma if he ends up being a man that could come and change this program in the future though. I'd love it

5 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I wonder what the difference in the contract dollars was?

The cost of living in Philly is so significantly greater than Auburn, I’d think to come out even his contract would have to be double. That’s just from the money side and not taking into account other job factors.

State income tax is 2% lower in PA than AL at his tax bracket, but then Philly tacks on 4% locality income tax. 

Agree on home purchase, $1M in Auburn goes a long way vs. Philly. Looking at the churn in his resume though, I would suspect that he isn't a purchase and sit on it type of guy. 

It was probably best Rocker left.  Knowing what we know now, he actually would have hurt us down the line.

I will use Tim Horton as an example.  It was known for years Horton wanted to become a head coach and every off season would interview for head coaching jobs.  This affected his job at Auburn as the RB coach.  It was also most likely affecting him on the recruiting trail.

That would be easy to recruit against.  Just tell the recruit, "He isn't focused on you or won't even be around to see you graduate.  He is looking to skip town when he gets the job he thinks he wants."

I think this will hurt Rocker as well if things do not pan out in Philly like it did for him with the Titans being let go in 2014.  Coaches might be more weary knowing he has a tendency to jump ship at any given second.

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Right like I said maybe so. It would be hilarious and perfect karma if he ends up being a man that could come and change this program in the future though. I'd love it

It would be great if he did, but to be honest, I just don't see it.  He's 54 years old.  He's been in the college and pro coaching ranks for 27 years.  He's been in the SEC for 15 years.  Three seasons in the NFL.  And only for one three year stint at the end of Richt's UGA tenure was he anything other than a DL coach.  I just think if he was a program changer, we'd have seen that by now.

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Very doubtful that could happen since he’s likely burned his bridges.  

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It would be great if he did, but to be honest, I just don't see it.  He's 54 years old.  He's been in the college and pro coaching ranks for 27 years.  He's been in the SEC for 15 years.  Three seasons in the NFL.  And only for one three year stint at the end of Richt's UGA tenure was he anything other than a DL coach.  I just think if he was a program changer, we'd have seen that by now.

Right but as I've hit my 30's I'm learning not to deny my potential just because yet. I'll be 70 and still not giving up on doing something more great things. Not to be religious but when God opens a door......you step through

6 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Very doubtful that could happen since he’s likely burned his bridges.  

That's what would make it karma. Perfect coach that could give you what you need but we pass over some trivial stuff.....I can see it

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Right but as I've hit my 30's I'm learning not to deny my potential just because yet. I'll be 70 and still not giving up on doing something more great things. Not to be religious but when God opens a door......you step through

Understood.  

I think what Tracy may need to come to terms with is that he just prefers the NFL game where he just gets to coach and isn't involved in recruiting.  And that's fine.  But be honest with yourself about that.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

To me it doesn't matter intent, nice, or whatever it's what grown ups do with business. I can see both sides a little. Don't know how you could really be upset with rocker imo. And there's waaay too much he said stuff to be making a judgement either way. But of course this is my opinion and I certainly can't tell anyone else theirs. I can just explain why to me it's stupid

I can’t fault either one. Go get your money and find the job you desire, but at the same time , I totally see CBH position especially if he said that up front. Business not personal , I imagine .

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Understood.  

I think what Tracy may need to come to terms with is that he just prefers the NFL game where he just gets to coach and isn't involved in recruiting.  And that's fine.  But be honest with yourself about that.

I agree with that. I feel he may had lost faith so he went a different route. Well it was good talking to you under different circumstances😂 you have a good day 

Just now, DAG said:

I can’t fault either one. Go get your money and find the job you desire, but at the same time , I totally see CBH position especially if he said that up front. Business not personal , I imagine .

Yeah man if it was me it would be hard for me to be upset going throughnegotiations recently myself. And nothing hasn't really started yet. Especially if no matter what I had the last decision on if he stays or go. It was my call

I will say this people saying we can just get a better recruiter just don't understand how recruiting works I feel

Lots of NFL seasons are done....

I wonder if Harsins is trying to recruit a coach from the league to come in.

Has anyone done a deep dive on the Petersen coaching tree or Harsin's on such?   Maybe Harsin will call Petersen and see if they can combine rolodex cards on this one. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

you stick to your word even if it costs you in the short term.  That's just basic "be a man of your word" stuff.

:hellyeah::cheer:👍

55 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well to be clear, we weren't asking him to give a discount.  He was asking us to pay a premium for a college position coach.  We were already paying him more than what he was making before and something that is quite in line with a college position coach.  Not to mention we may still be on the hook for his SC buyout.  If he didn't like that offer, he could have stayed at SC.

But also, whether you believe in the alma mater stuff, it's reality.  Your belief in it doesn't change that it complicates things.  It's sort of like going to work for family or a good friend.  You can say "it's just business" all day long but it doesn't change that this course of action will be taken a bit differently than if you'd played out the same scenario somewhere else.

Old adage says never work for friends or family, nor borrow money. It usually leaves someone mad and destroys relationships.

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's what would make it karma. Perfect coach that could give you what you need but we pass over some trivial stuff.....I can see it

Something of this nature is generally not considered to be trivial in the business world.  I wouldn’t give him a 3rd chance.  

I usually just ghost here and never post but this situation with Tracy Rocker has me bothered a bit. I saw on a page I follow that is also followed by current and former players that a certain former Auburn player commented on the post under Rocker taking the Philly job saying “Don’t contact my coach either #coachg” If you’re a player or fan rooting for Auburn a school that got you to the NFL to fail you should probably find another team. It’s not Coach Harsin’s fault that Gus was fired. He has to build his own staff. That is infuriating. Get behind the man or get the hell on. Sorry 

4 minutes ago, MsLady22 said:

I usually just ghost here and never post but this situation with Tracy Rocker has me bothered a bit. I saw on a page I follow that is also followed by current and former players that a certain former Auburn player commented on the post under Rocker taking the Philly job saying “Don’t contact my coach either #coachg” If you’re a player or fan rooting for Auburn a school that got you to the NFL to fail you should probably find another team. It’s not Coach Harsin’s fault that Gus was fired. He has to build his own staff. That is infuriating. Get behind the man or get the hell on. Sorry 

I don't think the former player in question has anything to worry about.  Harsin wasn't planning on reaching back out to Garner.

20 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Something of this nature is generally not considered to be trivial in the business world.  I wouldn’t give him a 3rd chance.  

That's your opinion it is extremely trivial

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It was probably best Rocker left.  Knowing what we know now, he actually would have hurt us down the line.

I will use Tim Horton as an example.  It was known for years Horton wanted to become a head coach and every off season would interview for head coaching jobs.  This affected his job at Auburn as the RB coach.  It was also most likely affecting him on the recruiting trail.

That would be easy to recruit against.  Just tell the recruit, "He isn't focused on you or won't even be around to see you graduate.  He is looking to skip town when he gets the job he thinks he wants."

I think this will hurt Rocker as well if things do not pan out in Philly like it did for him with the Titans being let go in 2014.  Coaches might be more weary knowing he has a tendency to jump ship at any given second.

In my field you won't get hired unless you aspire to move up and move up quickly. The odds of finding a good position coach that just want to be a position coach is extremely low

11 minutes ago, MsLady22 said:

a school that got you to the NFL

There are incredibly few players who owe their NFL career to Auburn. Especially the last 10 years. Most of the ones that get to the NFL had many choices of where they could have gone and quite likely would have gotten drafted no matter which one they chose. And many might have gotten drafted higher- see: Darius Slayton.

Also, there is nothing unusual or necessarily malevolent about a guy who played under Garner feeling loyal to him and being hurt that he was let go. 

Odd thing to elicit a first post from a ghost. 

1 hour ago, afblue said:

If this additional context is correct, it sounds like both people, Coach Rocker and Coach Harsin, made the choice they thought best. I can see why both of them would believe the made the right decision.  Whether or not I think I would have made the same choices is irrelevant. I don’t know all the info.

This is how you post! 

Archived