2021 New Staff (Complete... again)

Zeek

It is apparent that CBH has earned some respect with assistant coaches out west. By tapping into these connections, he broadens Auburn's reach. And you know these guys are itching to get an SEC job. CBH is their ticket. I like it.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, fredst said:

Is Bert Watts wife hot? That seems to be a major factor in people’s assessment of these hires....

It always comes down to whether or not the man can recruit. 

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

wrong link - this about the coach.

Fred was asking about the Mrs. and assessing his confidence level (Moneyball reference).  

Watts having been a successful DC already, would be an excellent candidate to replace Mason, if and when he gets another HC gig. Vic So’oto is a very interesting, colorful, high energy guy. Why would he consider leaving USCw? Trying to raise 5 kids in the LA school system versus the Auburn school system. That's a big draw for a lot of these guys. I don't know about Vic, but these other candidates have upward mobility written all over them. To me, that's a good thing.

3 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Well his resume is impressive and he recruited well at Memphis so no reason to believe he can’t recruit well at AU 

How are you determining he recruited well to Memphis? 3 3* guys with other offers to lower level G5 schools.

6 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

For Memphis 3 stars are great 

Eh, there are so many 3*

The last two years every single recruit in their class was a 3* prospect

Welcome coach Watts!! Look forward to learning more about him. 

Man i am kicking myself for not posting a thought i had the other day. I was thinking on who to hire and the idea came to me that we could probably pick our guy based on what recruiting areas we have not covered. SO i was gonna post that i bet it is someone with ties to the Memphis area since no one on our current staff had that. I would have nailed it and looked so smart and special. Dang it :sad2:

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Young and hungry. Seems to have a really good defensive mind, proven results as a developer, but might be lacking a little as a recruiter.  I'm not sure on the last part because fresno state isn't considered a recruiting hotbed.

Our pass rush has been so bad the last 4-5 years that we really need a developer rather than a recruiter, IMO.

I think Harsin knocked it out of the park with his staff as far as immediate needs to get us up and running and building. I think he looked over our roster and evaluated every position. Some positions, we needed developers over recruiters. Others we needed recruiters over developers. 

Based on our current roster, their is talent available and we have done a good job getting RBs, WRs, DL, LB, and DBs. So he retains Caddy, Brings in C-Williams for WR who can obviously coach, Rocker who should have a field day with what we have, Mason who is one of the best X and O guys in football, and the rest all seem to be good developers of talent. 

Then we look at QB and OL and we need immediate help recruiting. Brings in Will Friend who has killed it in recruiting as well as Mike Bobo who is also a great recruiter and happens to be an awesome QB developer as well. 

I feel like he hit the nail on the head with every position based on where we are right now. Now, 4 or 5 years down the road may the situation be different? Of course...but for us to immediately start buiding I give him an overall A. JMO

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think Harsin knocked it out of the park with his staff as far as immediate needs to get us up and running and building. I think he looked over our roster and evaluated every position. Some positions, we needed developers over recruiters. Others we needed recruiters over developers. 

Based on our current roster, their is talent available and we have done a good job getting RBs, WRs, DL, LB, and DBs. So he retains Caddy, Brings in C-Williams for WR who can obviously coach, Rocker who should have a field day with what we have, Mason who is one of the best X and O guys in football, and the rest all seem to be good developers of talent. 

Then we look at QB and OL and we need immediate help recruiting. Brings in Will Friend who has killed it in recruiting as well as Mike Bobo who is also a great recruiter and happens to be an awesome QB developer as well. 

I feel like he hit the nail on the head with every position based on where we are right now. Now, 4 or 5 years down the road may the situation be different? Of course...but for us to immediately start buiding I give him an overall A. JMO

Agree. Some of his hires seem like 3-4 year hires and some 6-8 year hires.

Well, he didn't get it done right now, so hopefully he got it done right. Looks like a good mix of exp and youth, SEC exp and people he's comfortable with, with a few Auburn guys in the mix. Hopefully these guys have good chemistry and work together to finally unlock Auburn's potential. Proof is on the field, but overall I'm liking what I see.

Really like the mix of this staff and finally guys with some experience and who are not in the same Auburn Bubble 

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Eh, there are so many 3*

The last two years every single recruit in their class was a 3* prospect

4 & 5 star kids don’t typically go to group of 5 schools, so at that level 3 stars are good recruiting gets.

27 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Welcome coach Watts!! Look forward to learning more about him. 

Man i am kicking myself for not posting a thought i had the other day. I was thinking on who to hire and the idea came to me that we could probably pick our guy based on what recruiting areas we have not covered. SO i was gonna post that i bet it is someone with ties to the Memphis area since no one on our current staff had that. I would have nailed it and looked so smart and special. Dang it :sad2:

And Cal....

I'm worried about @Zeeki know he won't like this hire! 🤣😂🤭

12 minutes ago, dilligas said:

4 & 5 star kids don’t typically go to group of 5 schools, so at that level 3 stars are good recruiting gets.

I mean, sure.  but their entire class is 3* kids.  So judging him off 1 year, doing exactly what they've always done, is why I'm asking the question.  How does his 1 class at Memphis show he's a great recruiter

Archived