2021 New Staff (Complete... again)

Zeek

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

https://auburntigers.com/sports/football/coaches

You're welcome to see what he's listed as on the official website. Assistant and Analyst are interchangeable.

Assistant = on field coaching part of 10 coaches

Analyst = off field position 

Looks like he was part of the 10 assistant coaches

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Twill hasn’t been retained yet because there’s probably an “earth shattering” name that’s interested that we don’t know about. Just my opinion

The idea of an "earth shattering" OLB coach hire made me chuckle 😁

Guys, Al Pogue was an ON-FIELD coach for us. He took up one of the ON-FIELD coaching positions on the staff. He filled the ON-FIELD vacancy on the staff that opened up when Marcus Woodson left to go to Florida State.

I really wish a few of you who are spreading false information would stop confusing everyone else.

We had two DB coaches: Wesley McGriff and Marcus Woodson. Woodson left which opened up a spot on our coaching staff. Al Pogue replaced him, and his title was "Defensive Assistant" because he had experience as both a DB and OLB coach and because we didn't technically have a void anywhere: because McGriff was still here we had a DB coach, and Travis Williams and Kevin Steele were both obviously coaching LB's.

Does this make sense? 

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Twill hasn’t been retained yet because there’s probably an “earth shattering” name that’s interested that we don’t know about. Just my opinion

man I hope you are right; that is about the only thing that makes ANY SENSE to me.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

https://auburntigers.com/sports/football/coaches

You're welcome to see what he's listed as on the official website. Assistant and Analyst are interchangeable.

Dude, an Analyst is an OFF-FIELD role. Al Pogue was an ON-FIELD coach.

Two completely different things.

14 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Sure would hate to recruit against TWill.

Let's see: Class of 2020, we did sign three solid LB prospects. However, that was after we missed our top three targets, at least two of whom had committed to AU and later flipped.

Class of 2021: Signed no LB's. One who came from an AU family and was said to be an early lean to the Tigers signed with the Tuskalosers. Maybe any coach recruiting for AU would have had a tough time with the current class, so they all get a pass on this year.

T-Will hasn't been a world beater. Good, but not the end-all be-all of recruiting.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Let's see: Class of 2020, we did sign three solid LB prospects. However, that was after we missed our top three targets, at least two of whom had committed to AU and later flipped.

Class of 2021: Signed no LB's. One who came from an AU family and was said to be an early lean to the Tigers signed with the Tuskalosers. Maybe any coach recruiting for AU would have had a tough time with the current class, so they all get a pass on this year.

T-Will hasn't been a world beater. Good, but not the end-all be-all of recruiting.

I did not realize he was dead weight on the recruiting trail?  And he only recruits LBs...no other position players?

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I did not realize he was dead weight on the recruiting trail?  And he only recruits LBs...no other position players?

I didn't say he was dead weight. I said this: "T-Will hasn't been a world beater. Good, but not the end-all be-all of recruiting. "

It's well known that T-Will kinda got a reality check in recruiting. He got a little too full of himself and got played by some kids. He needs more experience and humility, because eventually you learn that sometimes the kids that tell you "I'm coming coach!" are actually saying the same thing to three other schools as well.

23 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

How did you get he was dead weight from that post?

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

How did you get he was dead weight from that post?

I took his words, then exaggerated what he said in a disingenuous way.

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I took his words, then exaggerated what he said in a disingenuous way.

Ahh like all the pundits do on the tube. Got it.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Agree. I love T will and would love to keep him but if Harsin thinks there’s a better fit then I trust him 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

wow....yeah I did not know the actual results of his recruiting.

For someone who knows - have we been intentionally been recruiting smaller, faster LBs or is that just happen-stance? (Pappoe and McClain) is where I am coming from.   Maybe the back ups are more thumpers.     I am guessing with a 4-2-5 those backs have to move super well and slip into coverage, but  - 

I know why we recruited Pappoe, but you get my drift.   

Maybe Wooten is bigger ( I think he is ) and where was Steiner this year.

A lot of accurate comments on TWill's performance the last two years. But what we know from the six years before that- not that anyone here would ever think of cherrypicking to fit an agenda!- is that he's capable of elite recruiting and development.

It's very easy to believe that things had grown stale or even toxic under the old regime and that a change of scenery and motivation can propel him back to his previous heights. 

I can guarantee you this. There are power programs out there very much hoping that he's not retained here. If his next gig isn't here, it will be somewhere with every bit the prestige we (hopefully still) have. 

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

If you take the totality of his time here and not just these last two cycles- one of which he might still somewhat salvage- then they're stellar.

For someone who knows - have we been intentionally been recruiting smaller, faster LBs or is that just happen-stance? (Pappoe and McClain) is where I am coming from.   Maybe the back ups are more thumpers.     I am guessing with a 4-2-5 those backs have to move super well and slip into coverage, but  

I dunno if McClain is a good example. There isn't more of a thumper in the league. Also, keep in mind that Moultry was moved to DL, probably out of need. That said, there does seem to have been a conscious focus on smaller, faster guys. And I think a lot of us agree that we need some more beef at ILB. But I'd think that was more of a Steele decision than a TWill decision.

where was Steiner this year.

I think that's my bad. I think I jinxed him. I always manage to turn optimism into disaster. (Here's to hoping that he just needed to acclimate. The physical tools are there in spades.)

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If you take the totality of his time here and not just these last two cycles- one of which he might still somewhat salvage- then they're stellar.

I dunno if McClain is a good example. There isn't more of a thumper in the league. Also, keep in mind that Moultry was moved to DL, probably out of need. That said, there does seem to have been a conscious focus on smaller, faster guys. And I think a lot of us agree that we need some more beef at ILB. But I'd think that was more of a Steele decision than a TWill decision.

I think that's my bad. I think I jinxed him. I always manage to turn optimism into disaster. (Here's to hoping that he just needed to acclimate. The physical tools are there in spades.)

McClain is listed as 212, I did not think he was that thick.   My son played at 197 ( not a D1 kid) and I thought ZM was closer to 205 because they had a more similar look.  

So you are reason the smartest LB we have did not have a break out year?  You know he could have gone to Stanford?  Maybe is was Samford.  I get those two mixed up all the time.  

here's to Steiner, Pappoe and McClain having a tremendous year next yr. 

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

So you are reason the smartest LB we have did not have a break out year?

I am both self-deprecating and self-obsessed enough to make this statement, yes. 

Keneche Udeze (Vanderbilt) has emerged as an alternative to T-Will he had some NFL experience before battling leukemia and he has worked with DL/Edge/Strength & Conditioning before

Aaron Moorehead (Philadelphia Eagles) has emerged as another WR name to watch. Five years as an NFL WR and he's spent time in the SEC as a coach previously. Philly firing their HC has freed him up as a candidate.

PM and a few other message board staff members have been floating these names.

Udeze might be a step down from T-Will but his work with both Edge and OLB players is interesting. Nice to have NFL experience as well. Moorehead feels like a big win as well; most of the WR names we've heard have felt like good choices. It's a position coach Harsin obviously views as being incredibly important.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

For someone who knows - have we been intentionally been recruiting smaller, faster LBs or is that just happen-stance? (Pappoe and McClain) is where I am coming from.   Maybe the back ups are more thumpers.     I am guessing with a 4-2-5 those backs have to move super well and slip into coverage, but  - 

I know why we recruited Pappoe, but you get my drift.   

Maybe Wooten is bigger ( I think he is ) and where was Steiner this year.

Yeah, Wooten is in the 230 range as is Steiner. I imagine they will try to get Moultry around 235 as well.

Udeze actually spent three seasons as the DL coach at USC (his Alma Mater). He has a solid resume and has had some wins as a recruiter. Former 1st round pick in the NFL. Was also assistant DL coach with the Seahawks for a season. Interestingly enough he has some S&C experience as well which is nice.

Archived