Null

2022 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

6 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Is Harsin on his way out ? I’ve seen it mentioned .

I don't know about any rumors at all, but I do think that guy legitimately believes in the concept of integrity. I do think he could've easily went to UDub if he wanted to. I don't think he'd allow the programs to eat this many punches and then dip at the 11th hour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't know about any rumors at all, but I do think that guy legitimately believes in the concept of integrity. I do think he could've easily went to UDub if he wanted to. I don't think he'd allow the programs to eat this many punches and then dip at the 11th hour.

Plus for his career, he has to pull this up to a respectable point.

7 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Plus for his career, he has to pull this up to a respectable point.

I think that’d be contingent on what he wants to be. I think he could still get a Washington, Arizona State, Arizona even now. I’m biased because I think that’s probably all he could be, but he probably believes he could be more 

• 2 months later...

Carver-Montgomery’s Jaquavious Russaw in the midst of ‘heavyweight’ recruitment

Published: May. 03, 2022, 10:46 a.m.
Jaquavious Russaw

Carver's Jaquavious Russaw (1) sets the edge and tackles Opelika's Kaden Cooper (23) at Cramton Bowl in Montgomery, Ala., on Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021. Opelika leads Carver 14-0 at halftime. (Jake Crandall | Montgomery Advertiser)Jake Crandall/ Advertiser

facebook
twitter

Jaquavious Russaw returned from a late-March visit to Texas A&M and started his week, as he usually does, with a 5 a.m. trip to the gym for a workout. With his friends and trainers circling him, Russaw rested his shoulders underneath the bar and squatted roughly 400 pounds for a few reps. After racking the weights, Russaw remembered what he had scheduled for later that day: a meet with Carver-Montgomery’s track team. “No way,” those in the gym responded when Russaw shrugged and said he’d have to tough it out. Russaw would eventually finish third in the 100-meter dash, per his trainer Tracy Tyrome Varner. That’s just Russaw or ‘Qua,’ as he’s known around Madhouse Athletic Training and G.W. Carver. After moving from Troy to extended family in the Montgomery area, Varner and other coaches noticed what colleges would eventually pursue. Russaw has a work ethic and attitude that pairs with his chiseled 6-foot-2, 230-pound stature. A breakout sophomore season led to a bulk of his 20-plus offers. A junior year as Carver’s best defender (5-star James Smith had transferred prior to the season) forced him to adapt his game and eventually be ranked as the No. 5 edge in the class and 37th best player in the nation per 247Sports Composite rankings.“It’s a true heavyweight battle,” Sports Illustrated’s director of recruiting John Garcia Jr. said about Russaw and Smith’s recruitment. “People are doing whatever they can to stay in the mix.” Alabama and Auburn are just a few of the schools Russaw told AL.com that he’s in constant contact with. Miami, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Texas A&M and Michigan have left a good impression. Crimson Tide safeties coach Charles Kelly and Georgia defensive line coach Tray Scott has made repeated stops to Carver’s gym. Russaw has unofficially visited Miami, the Aggies and Alabama in the last month.When Russaw was an underclassman, Varner remembers telling coaches that he’s seen a Division-I pass rusher and Russaw fit that mold. His hips were fast, his arms long. It didn’t hurt that in Russaw’s mind, he already viewed himself as the best in his class. “I got (to Madhouse) and it made me believe in that even more,” Russaw said. “James Smith was already here. To see him be ranked higher?” It pushed Russaw. It still does with each practice and session. It’s not arrogance, the two are close friends. They’ve taken the majority of their visits together and project to lead one of the state’s best defenses this fall. Russaw has learned to be “mentally tougher” throughout his recruitment and that’s one way how.

RELATED: 2023 5-star DL James Smith is back home for nationwide recruitment