Null

2022 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

@ellitor have you heard anything from AU's side about interest in Jamarion Miller?  It might be a tough pull, but hopefully we take a look.

He has a great combination of speed, Power, and vision. He hits the hole a lot like one of my all-time favorites, Kenny Irons. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Kids from Texas are soft. We need some studs from Georgia, Florida, Alabama or Mississippi that are tough. 

that's a given...agreed upon science.  Got any new info?

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Kids from Texas are soft. We need some studs from Georgia, Florida, Alabama or Mississippi that are tough. 

Because of Covid not this last year but multiple times in past I have seen very good teams from the states you mentioned come to Allen HS and leave beaten by Allen HS. I believe Byrd can tell you about similar outcomes in his part of Texas. The players are not soft here. Look at how many make it into NFL.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Because of Covid not this last year but multiple times in past I have seen very good teams from the states you mentioned come to Allen HS and leave beaten by Allen HS. I believe Byrd can tell you about similar outcomes in his part of Texas. The players are not soft here. Look at how many make it into NFL.

I have zero interest in calling Texas players "soft" but, percentage-wise, Texas falls well behind those states in terms of college talent produced from total high school players.

1. Florida 389 40,606 1 in 104
2. Georgia 248 32,979 1 in 133
3. Louisiana 132 20,087 1 in 152
4. Hawaii 22 4,258 1 in 194
5. Utah 35 8,638 1 in 247
6. Alabama 89 22,841 1 in 257
7. Mississippi 83 22,300 1 in 269
8. Maryland/D.C. 55 15,662 1 in 285
9. Ohio 135 44,431 1 in 329
1o. Tennessee 67 23,003 1 in 343
11. California 289 103,474 1 in 358
12. Texas 459 164,554 1 in 359

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-states-produce-tons-of-fbs-talent/

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I have zero interest in calling Texas players "soft" but, percentage-wise, Texas falls well behind those states in terms of college talent produced from total high school players.

In my experience, Texas treats HS football the way Auburn/Alabama treat college football. In other words, HS football is more important in Texas than college football passion wise IMO. So, just about everyone will play HS football that can. Not unusual to have A and B freshman teams with over 30 on each team. Same with middle schools. In high school you have a lot of 30/30/30 guys who just want to be part of the team (only play when 30 pts ahead/30 pts behind/30 secs left in the game). So yeah, ratio might be lower for the ones who move on to college just because they have so many kids playing.

Allen High School Football Stadium

After Texas high school builds $60-million stadium, rival ...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I was poking fun at Yellow Bird with my soft comment. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

In my experience, Texas treats HS football the way Auburn/Alabama treat college football. In other words, HS football is more important in Texas than college football passion wise IMO. So, just about everyone will play HS football that can. Not unusual to have A and B freshman teams with over 30 on each team. Same with middle schools. In high school you have a lot of 30/30/30 guys who just want to be part of the team (only play when 30 pts ahead/30 pts behind/30 secs left in the game). So yeah, ratio might be lower for the ones who move on to college just because they have so many kids playing.

Good point. Had not considered that they might have more kids playing overall per capita. 

I've heard that the "Texas kids are soft" rep comes from the ubiquity of spread offenses down there, but I have no idea if there's any validity to it. 

Either way, I doubt looking at post high school numbers tells us anything about it.

39 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

In a lot of places It's even bigger than that. It's not uncommon to have 75 on each Middle school team and some have A B, and C teams.  Typically you'll have two freshman teams, 1 HUGE JV team that catches all the soph and juniors that can't make varsity, and 75-90+ varsity team.  

You're right that tons come out just to be associated with the team. They understand that they'll never go anywhere, but love the game, the comradery, and the status.

The per capita stat is a good measuring stick, but when explored further, the population of Texas programs really skews the talent level down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

So nice they built it twice

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Auhud08 said:

So nice they built it twice

We even got it right the second time. Since then at least 3 HS Stadiums built in Texas that surpass the one we have in Allen. The one down the street in McKinney that was recently built was built by same company that had to redo ours.  

54 minutes ago, AUMicBK said:

tweet is a few weeks old but hadn’t seen it posted anywhere 

Having two 6'7" TEs would be fun to see in Harsin's 12 and 13 personnel.  Defensive matchups against them would definitely favor us.

• Like 1

Added some more guys based off the "warm"/"cold" feature 247 has (which I know is painfully inaccurate) but this early it's just a loose thing to go on instead of listing every single person offered.

The 2022 class should shape up nicely for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Added some more guys based off the "warm"/"cold" feature 247 has (which I know is painfully inaccurate) but this early it's just a loose thing to go on instead of listing every single person offered.

The 2022 class should shape up nicely for us.

2022 is looking like a very very nice class and we're just getting started really. 

• ellitor changed the title to 2022 Recruiting Thread
  • ellitor pinned this topic