Null

2022 Recruiting Thread

On 7/9/2021 at 5:33 PM, AUwent said:

Obviously the recent few commitments are a start...Story and Alston are obviously musts!

So what is with the UCF  gif?   

Was it making fun of the fact they didn't have many fans at that game?   I am thinking there are probably some UCF-Gus memes out now if that is relevant.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When has bama ever been able to say they climbed 40 spots in the rankings in one month?!  Suck it bama

As I've predicted for a while now we're moving on from 3-star DT Maxie Baudoin IV. Reading between the lines it seems like he told the staff he was announcing his decision before the end of summer and

Posted Images

Big Cat Weekend is back on

by Keith Niebuhr

28 minutes ago

After a one-year hiatus, Big Cat Weekend -- Auburn's annual recruiting bash -- is back on.

Auburn Undercover has learned new Tigers football coach Bryan Harsin and his staff will host the event July 25. The current NCAA recruiting dead period, which began June 28, ends July 24.

Big Cat Weekend began in 2009 under former Auburn coach Gene Chizik and has long been one of the biggest and most-hyped annual recruiting events in college football. Other top programs, in fact, have copied the Tigers' format. Due to Covid-19 and an extended dead period because of it, no event was held in 2020.

It was unclear if Harsin and Co. would host the event, or something similar to it. Until now.

Big Cat Weekend typically was held around Memorial Day weekend and was less about football and more about allowing coaches to build bonds with recruits and their respective families through the use of non-football activities and games. We are told the current Auburn staff will go a similar route.

"This will be more of a chill vibe barbecue type deal," a source told Auburn Undercover.

Commitments have sometimes taken place the day of Big Cat Weekend. But mainly, the event is used to lay the groundwork to land verbals down the road.

We expect invitations to start going out soon.

Who can you expect to attend the Big Cat Weekend 2021?

Sources indicate invitations will go to the top in-state 2022s, 2023s and 2024s, along with other big targets within Auburn's footprint.

Of note, the July 25 event corresponds with the date 4-star running back target Damari Alston of Georgia plans to announce his college commitment. With Auburn being one of the favorites, it would be significant should he choose to be at Big Cat.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Beaker said:

So what is with the UCF  gif?   

Was it making fun of the fact they didn't have many fans at that game?   I am thinking there are probably some UCF-Gus memes out now if that is relevant.

Nah it's just a funny gif. It was from the last game of the 2015 season when they went 0-12, with the final game being a 44-3 beating by USF.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/11/26/9805738/ucf-knights-football-winless-0-12-sadness-sad-crying-weeping-happy-thanksgiving

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

Rivals finally got around to ranking Alex McPherson. Bumps us from #70 to #64 nationally.

Baby steps.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Rivals finally got around to ranking Alex McPherson. Bumps us from #70 to #64 nationally.

Baby steps.

I’ll take it at this point, although I’m not worried about rankings this year with our transfers making up a lot of our commitments.

• Like 2

Next player to likely commit?

Maybe the RB on Big Cat weekend is what I am guessing (Damari).  

Complaint:  4 of the top RBs are going to 2 programs that are already loaded with talent...tired of the rich getting richer.

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Next player to likely commit?

Maybe the RB on Big Cat weekend is what I am guessing (Damari).  

Complaint:  4 of the top RBs are going to 2 programs that are already loaded with talent...tired of the rich getting richer.

Unfortunately I think a lot of recruits are going to wait and see how a Harsin lead Auburn team looks before they jump onboard.  I said this awhile ago but this transition reminds me of Saban taking over for Shula in 2007.  Not saying Harsin is going to start reeling off top 3 recruiting classes and nattys the next 14 years but he is inheriting a team with talent that just needs some guidance and some OTs.  Bama had a couple exciting games in 2007 against good teams that probably helped with recruiting even though the results on the field weren't great.  Its soo important that Auburn looks competent and competitive against Penn State, UGA, and LSU early in the year.  Win 1 or 2 of those and excitement for this program picks up.  Get a top 15 recruiting class and shore up the OLine and things are on their way.  Come back in 2022 with a senior QB, Heisman caliber RB, experienced WRs and TEs, patchwork Oline on the outside at least, and I'd imagine a pretty decent defense and watch out.  

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Unfortunately I think a lot of recruits are going to wait and see how a Harsin lead Auburn team looks before they jump onboard.  I said this awhile ago but this transition reminds me of Saban taking over for Shula in 2007.  Not saying Harsin is going to start reeling off top 3 recruiting classes and nattys the next 14 years but he is inheriting a team with talent that just needs some guidance and some OTs.  Bama had a couple exciting games in 2007 against good teams that probably helped with recruiting even though the results on the field weren't great.  Its soo important that Auburn looks competent and competitive against Penn State, UGA, and LSU early in the year.  Win 1 or 2 of those and excitement for this program picks up.  Get a top 15 recruiting class and shore up the OLine and things are on their way.  Come back in 2022 with a senior QB, Heisman caliber RB, experienced WRs and TEs, patchwork Oline on the outside at least, and I'd imagine a pretty decent defense and watch out.  

I think you are spot on, except I doubt Tank will return if he has anywhere close to the kind of yr we think he will.  Too hard to pass up big money and risk injury.  Again, that is why we need more depth and these elite backs are choosing to go and sit for 2-3 years. 

I just hate that these top programs can convince kids to come in and not really play for 2-3 yrs, while being one of the top back in the country right now.  And not one, but 4 of the top 5 backs in the country are doing this.   Like you said, if we can demonstrate we can be competitive and maybe be a fun or family kinda place, with a new facility, we can get the more elite recruit.  And pipeline: got to show them the path to league. 

But, yeah, I am complaining. 

Edited by Beaker
18 minutes ago, au302 said:

Anyone get to see the Jay Fair tweet before it was deleted? 

He's announcing on the 20th

Us or TCU and it's close

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No, why?

Wasn't able to see it so I didn't know if it was good for us or not. As Zeek said just him announcing his commitment date

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

Wasn't able to see it so I didn't know if it was good for us or not. As Zeek said just him announcing his commitment date

I was hoping you had seen it too. 😂 

I missed Zeek's post, thanks for the heads up 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I was hoping you had seen it too. 😂 

I missed Zeek's post, thanks for the heads up 

That's my bad. I should have added in my first post that I wasn't able to see it. I can see how it came across like I had seen it already and was coming here to spread the news. Sorry if I got your hopes up there for a second lol. Regardless, dude seems like a stud so really hoping we can land him

8 minutes ago, au302 said:

That's my bad. I should have added in my first post that I wasn't able to see it. I can see how it came across like I had seen it already and was coming here to spread the news. Sorry if I got your hopes up there for a second lol. Regardless, dude seems like a stud so really hoping we can land him

No worries, it's Golf's fault anyways.

FWIW, Rockwall is a pretty good program.

Pointless fact: Smith-Njigba last year's #5 WR now at Ohio State, was his teammate

Posted (edited)

We likely get Fair on the 20th and Alston on the 25th. That would move us from 64th to 53rd. Caden Story on August 1st would put us up to 43rd.

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 1