Tuberville is going to continue to embarrass us, right?

RunInRed

When I first heard Tuberville's name come up a few years ago in terms of politics, my initial thought was, "He's got some politicking skills - we saw it in operation at Auburn.  He'd probably do ok in that role."

I had no idea back then that he'd go full tilt, turn-off-your-brain, lickspittle, Trump boot-licker.  Nor did I realize how truly uneducated and ill-informed about basics of the Constitution and government he was.  

43 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

When I first heard Tuberville's name come up a few years ago in terms of politics, my initial thought was, "He's got some politicking skills - we saw it in operation at Auburn.  He'd probably do ok in that role."

I had no idea back then that he'd go full tilt, turn-off-your-brain, lickspittle, Trump boot-licker.  Nor did I realize how truly uneducated and ill-informed about basics of the Constitution and government he was.  

Exactly, met the man a few times on business related projects. Thoughts were he could fit as CEO of a major corporation or be great in politics. Surprised to see him ride Trumps coat tails and make some of his comments.

27 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Exactly, met the man a few times on business related projects. Thoughts were he could fit as CEO of a major corporation or be great in politics. Surprised to see him ride Trumps coat tails and make some of his comments.

I read an article on AL.com about Tuberville during the campaign where they interviewed several former players of his and church/community members that once knew him, and the general feeling I got from it was that Tubs will be whoever he thinks he needs to be to succeed in any given situation or with any individual person. He is good at reading a room and knowing how he needs to act to get people to trust or like him for a short amount of time. Get too close or spend too much time around him and that's when the cracks start to show. 

You were right on him being good in politics though. He read Alabama voters like a book and understood it's all a performance. What you know and do doesn't matter as long as you know what to say and who to support. 

4 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

He read Alabama voters like a book

The majority Alabama of voters. Easy to see and a simple campaign. My thoughts on him formed from his presentation of himself. Understand he was good at telling people what they wanted to hear.

35 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

The majority Alabama of voters. Easy to see and a simple campaign. My thoughts on him formed from his presentation of himself. Understand he was good at telling people what they wanted to hear.

Not from Alabama, but wasn’t his campaign strategy a lot like Biden’s?

29 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Not from Alabama, but wasn’t his campaign strategy a lot like Biden’s?

You mean like debating his opponent twice and being willing to do a third?  Or the part with multiple interviews on major press outlets?  Or putting detailed policy proposals on his website for public scrutiny?

Wait, Tubs didn't do any of those things.  He just stuck an 'R" behind his name, kissed Trump's ass in a series of ads, and let the chips fall where they may.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He just stuck an 'R" behind his name, kissed Trump's ass in a series of ads, and let the chips fall where they may

This part, except it was a ‘D’ instead of a ‘R’ and hid in his basement until the polls started to turn against him.  I guess it worked for both candidates as we don’t know what we have with either.  Of course it’s JMO.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Exactly. I've thought the same about other coaches too on occasion, be it working in politics, banking, etc. But then again (and tubs is a good reminder), convincing 17 and 18 year-olds to come play football for you is not necessarily a trait that transcends realms, if you follow my drift. 

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This part, except it was a ‘D’ instead of a ‘R’ and hid in his basement until the polls started to turn against him.  I guess it worked for both candidates as we don’t know what we have with either.  Of course it’s JMO.

During a pandemic, he chose not to do in person campaign early on.  Later he did so but kept them distanced and outdoors and with everyone in masks.  Like a ******* adult.  But again:

- One participated in two debates and was signed on for a third.  The other refused to debate his opponent at all.

- One had detailed policy proposals on his site for over a year for people to comb through and pick apart.  The other just made sure you knew he'd be a rubber stamp for Trump and little else of consequence.

- One sat for dozens of interviews from various news outlets.  I'm not sure the latter answered a single question from the press the entire campaign.

But yeah, other than that, exactly alike. <_< 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

- One sat for dozens of interviews from various news outlets.  I'm not sure the latter answered a single question from the press the entire campaign.

I don’t know how the press would have treated Tubs, but some of the hard hitting press did ask Biden what flavor ice cream he was eating.  When asked about his son Hunter he shut down the conversation.

Biden’s leadership, or lack thereof, is concerning to me.  But now that he has the vaccine I would expect him to be more visible.

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don’t know how the press would have treated Tubs, but some of the hard hitting press did ask Biden what flavor ice cream he was eating.  When asked about his son Hunter he shut down the conversation.

Biden’s leadership, or lack thereof, is concerning to me.  But now that he has the vaccine I would expect him to be more visible.

The similarities in their campaigns were fleeting and ephemeral at best.

10 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Biden knows how to lead. He was the one who came out and told Trump to tell the insurrectionists to go home because he knew that Trump had to respond to him. He already started a plan to help states done role out the vaccine. It will be fine. 

Media outlets misquote Tuberville, incorrectly claim inauguration ceremony must be held January 20

(Tommy for Senate/Contributed)

U.S. Senator Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) has gone viral — but for something that he did not actually say.

National media outlets have pounced on an article from Birmingham’s CBS 42, a Nexstar station, that quoted Tuberville as saying, “We probably could have had a swearing-in and inauguration later after we got this virus behind us a little bit. Again, we’re talking about Washington, D.C.”

“However, the 20th Amendment to the Constitution requires that the inauguration and swearing-in of a new President take place on January 20th. It wasn’t clear if Tuberville was aware of that during the interview,” CBS 42 wrote directly following that quote.

There are two major issues at play here. The words attributed to Tuberville were a significant misquote, and the 20th Amendment does not actually mandate an inauguration to occur on a certain date — or at all.

The relevant section of the 20th Amendment only states that the “terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January” every four years.

Additionally, Article II, Section 1, of the Constitution mandates the following: “Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation: – ‘I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.'”

There is no mention of an “inauguration” or any form of swearing-in ceremony in the Constitution, nor is there a requirement that the president take the oath of office in any type of public setting at all. President-elect Joe Biden could take the oath of office in his basement at noon on January 20 while being in line with both what Tuberville is alleged to have said and his constitutional duties.

However, getting back to the main issue here — media outlets have fabricated what Tuberville said.

The CBS 42 article that contains the misquote was posted at 8:47 p.m. CT on January 13. As of noon on Friday, January 15, no correction had been made.

This comes despite the fact that the very same article features video footage of what Tuberville actually said.

“I think we’ll have a new president,” Tuberville affirmed.

Then, speaking about the traditional, in-person inauguration ceremony, he continued, “I don’t know how big it’s going to be. We probably could have had the swearing-in and done an inauguration a little later on, after we’ve got this virus behind us a little bit. But again, we’re talking about Washington, D.C.”

Other outlets across the state and world have spread the misquote, however, while also botching what the 20th Amendment says. This includes al(dot)com, whose headline incorrectly reads: “Tuberville says delay inauguration, but date is set by Constitution.”

Additional examples of outlets both misquoting Tuberville and not understanding the 20th Amendment were CNN, The Washington Post and The Huffington Post.

And of course, there is Twitter itself amplifying the misinformation by creating a “trending” moment about Tuberville.

A gender studies professor at Duke, who admittedly dislikes Tuberville, decried the situation in a Twitter thread:

“I despise Tuberville, but we should quote people accurately and plausibly interpret the accurate quotations. We also have enough to worry about without inventing new outrageous statements. Delaying Biden’s presidency isn’t what he said. It isn’t what meant. Stop saying it,” the professor wrote.

UPDATE 1:45 p.m.

Following Yellowhammer News’ article, CBS 42 updated their story to reflect the correct quote at 1:32 p.m., however they have not made a note in the article explaining the nature of the update or noting the original mistake.

UPDATE 4:35 p.m.

CBS 42 at 4:21 p.m. posted the following as a “clarification” on its article: “In a previous version of this article, two words were omitted in a quote attributed to Sen. Tommy Tuberville. The article has since been updated with the addition of those two words, ‘done’ and ‘an.’ The story has also been updated with a statement from the senator’s spokeswoman.”

That “statement from the senator’s spokeswoman” reads as follows: “It’s incorrect to interpret the Senator’s comments as calling for the postponement the actual act of swearing-in President-elect Biden. The Senator spent the last two days visiting with Alabama medical care providers to receive updates on the ongoing pandemic. Understanding the widely recognized health and safety concerns regarding large gatherings, the Senator was suggesting the public gathering for inaugural ceremonies could be reconsidered. As the Senator has previously said, President-elect Biden will take over next week.”

This came after Tuberville tweeted about the issue:

Sean Ross is the editor of Yellowhammer News. You can follow him on Twitter @sean_yhn

@RunInRed

One last time: this is an inaccurate quotation of what Tuberville said. He said, “We probably could have had a swearing in and *done an* inauguration a little later on after we’d got this virus behind us a little bit.” "Done an" is omitted and it changes the meaning.  @RunInRed

12 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

He already started a plan to help states done role out the vaccine. It will be fine. 

Biden gets no—-zero——credit for rolling out the vaccine *better*.  Trump was instrumental in the development of the vaccine even though most people (media, democrats, some scientists) is responsible for the vaccine.

Biden will realize Trumps success, I know that is distasteful to think about, but true.  A lot of blue states rolled these vaccines out with a protocol that was not set to help the most vulnerable.  I live in NC and I am 70 years old.  I would be in the 3rd section to get the vaccine until last night.  The Governor (democrat) has changed the protocol to allow anyone 65 year old or older to get it immediately. Why?  It’s not too difficult to imagine.  The resistance reached every part of our lives.  It really is a shame.  Remember Florida had this protocol from the beginning after the front line medical workers have been inoculated.

Biden doesn’t get any credit for leadership until after the 20th of January and is not dealing with COVID-19.

39 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Biden gets no—-zero——credit for rolling out the vaccine *better*.  Trump was instrumental in the development of the vaccine even though most people (media, democrats, some scientists) is responsible for the vaccine.

Biden will realize Trumps success, I know that is distasteful to think about, but true.  A lot of blue states rolled these vaccines out with a protocol that was not set to help the most vulnerable.  I live in NC and I am 70 years old.  I would be in the 3rd section to get the vaccine until last night.  The Governor (democrat) has changed the protocol to allow anyone 65 year old or older to get it immediately. Why?  It’s not too difficult to imagine.  The resistance reached every part of our lives.  It really is a shame.  Remember Florida had this protocol from the beginning after the front line medical workers have been inoculated.

Biden doesn’t get any credit for leadership until after the 20th of January and is not dealing with COVID-19.

He will. The vaccine role out has been disastrous thus far. They haven't been organized and states have been lied to about supply. I'm looking forward to some leadership and consistent leadership across the government. 

On 1/15/2021 at 9:19 AM, RunInRed said:

Yeah, but 6 in a row goes a long way at the pools in Alabama...

:)

Just now, MaxCohen216 said:

Yeah, but 6 in a row goes a long way at the pools in Alabama...

:)

^polls

On 1/16/2021 at 10:39 AM, Ausburn2 said:

One last time: this is an inaccurate quotation of what Tuberville said. He said, “We probably could have had a swearing in and *done an* inauguration a little later on after we’d got this virus behind us a little bit.” "Done an" is omitted and it changes the meaning.  @RunInRed

"The media is an enemy of the people." What prophet said that?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived