Exactly what was the previous staff doing?

chizhead

I am reading things that just leave me mystified concerning the recruitment of players. 4* OT from Columbus Ga. said the previous staff hardly talked with him. although they did offer last year. This staff is offering players from everywhere and they are not chumps,either. This is mind boggling to me. Just offered two 4* OT from THIS STATE!!!! This is amazingly incompetent and anyone who doesn't yet realize that Gus should have been fired years ago, I don't what else we can do for you....damn,on 24/7 one topic thread is titled," This staff recruited OT's harder in 8 days than Gus did in 8 years!"...Sure appears so

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, chizhead said:

I am reading things that just leave me mystified concerning the recruitment of players. 4* OT from Columbus Ga. said the previous staff hardly talked with him. although they did offer last year. This staff is offering players from everywhere and they are not chumps,either. This is mind boggling to me. Just offered two 4* OT from THIS STATE!!!! This is amazingly incompetent and anyone who doesn't yet realize that Gus should have been fired years ago, I don't what else we can do for you....damn,on 24/7 one topic thread is titled," This staff recruited OT's harder in 8 days than Gus did in 8 years!"...Sure appears so

Im baffled that there is a 4* OT in Columbus in Percy Lewis that the previous staff werent recruiting him.

16 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Great question. It’s as if they were told to throttle back . It’s pathetic really 

I can tell you with 100% certain this all was filtered by the head man. Who to recruiting and offer. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Exactly what was the previous staff doing?
24 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I can tell you with 100% certain this all was filtered by the head man. Who to recruiting and offer. 

That just pisses me off 

38 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

And you've been telling us this type stuff for years. Nothing shocks me when it comes to Gus & recruiting.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

And you've been telling us this type stuff for years. Nothing shocks me when it comes to Gus & recruiting.

Was Gus so arrogant he thought he could plug just any player into his system and this kid would become the greatest thing since sliced bread?

5 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Was Gus so arrogant he thought he could plug just any player into his system

In a way yes.

2 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Great question. It’s as if they were told to throttle back . It’s pathetic really 

I’ve often wondered if Gus got lazy and was just going through the motions all the while knowing he would be in for a big pay day.  He rarely seemed upset over losses and always gave the canned answer that they were gonna get the problem fixed.  The last several seasons were so bizarre compared to the first few seasons.  

12 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I’ve often wondered if Gus got lazy and was just going through the motions all the while knowing he would be in for a big pay day.  He rarely seemed upset over losses and always gave the canned answer that they were gonna get the problem fixed.  The last several seasons were so bizarre compared to the first few seasons.  

He was throwing games at times . Just a complete clown 

3 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Was Gus so arrogant he thought he could plug just any player into his system and this kid would become the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Apparently that and he was just in over his head as a HC and manager of a college program. Hopefully he sits back cashes his check and realizes this.

2 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

He was throwing games at times . Just a complete clown

I can't argue, but was it really that? Or does ( and I'm not trying to be coy or clever ) does anyone think he's got some sort of brain chemistry imbalance, perhaps he's on the scale, as it were.. and just doesn't concentrate for a full 60 minutes, 7 days, or what ever. For YEARS, fans, opposing players and coaches, and TV guys covering the game ALL said the same thing... Gus was predictable. 

And yet, did NONE of his coaches try to adjust ? Or tell him? Seems like they were too afraid or indifferent to try. 

8 hours ago, AURaptor said:

And yet, did NONE of his coaches try to adjust ? Or tell him? Seems like they were too afraid or indifferent to try. 

When you hire yes men, who is going to stand up and say something? Probably why D.Craig, Boom, etc left as quicky as they did when they came in.

10 hours ago, AURaptor said:

@AURaptorI'm sure most tried but it didn't matter as Gus wouldn't listen to anyone.

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

When you hire yes men, who is going to stand up and say something? Probably why D.Craig, Boom, etc left as quicky as they did when they came in.

@WDE_OxPx_2010 Don't think most of the assistants were yes men. I just think Gus believed in his system soo much that he wasn't listening to anyone.

When I think about how wealthy UAT, Clemson and UGA have gotten in recent years on the talent within a 50-mile radius of Auburn it’s enough to ruin my breakfast.  

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@WDE_OxPx_2010 Don't think most of the assistants were yes men. I just think Gus bieved in his system soo much that he wasn't listening to anyone.

This is my belief as well.  Gus was so vain about his offense that he would not adjust it to take advantage of what the defense did or didn’t do well.  His system was perfect if the defense lined up like he expected them to line up and did exactly what Gus’s system expected them to do.  

14 hours ago, milehighfan said:

yep also very very very stubborn........................I said 7 years ago Gus is the most stubborn person I ever seen

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

..I said 7 years ago Gus is the most stubborn person I ever seen

There has never been a more stubborn person walk the earth than Pat Dye. It might be a question of channeling the stubbornness and Dye was more effective at it, but for pure stubborn Dye has the prize in my book.

"Exactly what was the previous staff doing?"

One could go back on this forum to last Spring and there was great optimism. Some few were posting about 2021 going to be "the best class ever". Then the back stabbing started, disorganization followed and de-commitments were right behind. Guys who were said to be leaning toward Auburn looked elsewhere. Few if any new guys were added to the list and there ya' go.

In a very competitive situation like recruiting, everybody has to be working hard together just to break even. Our staff quit working together and as a result recruiting fell apart.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There has never been a more stubborn person walk the earth than Pat Dye. It might be a question of channeling the stubbornness and Dye was more effective at it, but for pure stubborn Dye has the prize in my book.

Have to disagree 

Archived