Exactly what was the previous staff doing?

chizhead

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/17/2021 at 9:02 AM, aubiefifty said:

one thing about mikey is he is pretty loyal. i understand how some folks do not care for it but i bet if  he was your friend and people were dissing you most of you would love the hell out of mikey. everyone is making suggestions on why gus did this or did that and it is still the same ol same ol if you say something nice about gus some on here think it automatically disqualifies him from having an opinion. does anyone really know what happened? really? i mean we have staff that betrayed gus and all of a sudden they are right? not buying it. and people on here get too much fun jumping people for their opinion on here and it gets tiresome. and it is not whether you agree or disagree with him but how you do it. and not all are nasty about it. but at the end of the day he loves auburn and the only times i have seen him get snarky on here is when people pile on him. what ever happened to "i love you brother but"............and that sort of thing. i mean come on guys this is not the political board.............

True friends don’t just blindly agree and take up for you . That is also biblical. 

On 1/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, gravejd said:

I have no idea what the last coaching staff was doing when it came to OL recruiting. Literally no idea......how we could not sign any HS OTs year after year after year was mind boggling. It made zero sense. I will never understand how we ended up not being able to sign an OTs for multiple years. 

Maybe  the REC got to him.... Gus was a double agent after the rule changed.  Seems plausible.    (I am joking, I think, yeah, probably.)

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Just posted this on the football board...but it belongs here as well:

The bigger issue was their recruiting staff was a lot bigger.

41 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If you want to recruit with the Big Boys you have to pay like the Big Boys. bama has a very large recruiting staff which is one of the things Harshin has said he wants to create at Auburn.

15 hours ago, AUDevil said:

And that's just the expenses that hit the balance sheets.  AU better have decided to go all out or it will have been pointless to pay Gus $21mm.

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

In my opinion it starts with better facilities. 

It would help but it starts with the recruiting staff. They are the ones that are going to be doing the heavy lifting.

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

It would help but it starts with the recruiting staff. They are the ones that are going to be doing the heavy lifting.

And is the CBH regime doing that?

Can we start a 2022 recruiting thread already? 2021 is effectively a lost class.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

And is the CBH regime doing that?

@AUwent Yup. Expected to have 1 of the biggest recruiting staff's in the nation.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

2021 is effectively a lost class.

No it's not. We have signed 12 & have 13 open spots to add high schoolers, jucos, & transfers that will be needed for depth purposes at minimum.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Can we start a 2022 recruiting thread already?

Already have...

On 1/24/2021 at 1:52 PM, ellitor said:

@AUwent Yup. Expected to have 1 of the biggest recruiting staff's in the nation.

No it's not. We have signed 12 & have 13 open spots to add high schoolers, jucos, & transfers that will be needed for depth purposes at minimum.

Already have...

Should we be concerned that we haven’t actually gotten any new commits yet (re: Gunner, Henderson)? I’d say it’s too early but still.

43 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Should we be concerned that we haven’t actually gotten any new commits yet (re: Gunner, Henderson)? I’d say it’s too early but still.

Personally, I'm not.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

@AUwent nope. It was covered in the 2021 thread yesterday. Georgia was probably always going to be win out for Stockton. Bama took the lead for Henderson when our old staff was fired. The few kids we did lead for that were not committed had position coaches change and as it has been said millions of times recruiting is a relationship game. In most cases our coaches are starting new relationships with targets for the remainder of the class.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:52 PM, ellitor said:

Are you telling us the AD coffers have been blown open in a huge way?  Money's not an issue and cost savings are no longer at the forefront?  Increasing budgets after the revenue losses due to covid last season is great news IMO.

On 1/16/2021 at 8:37 AM, ellitor said:

@WDE_OxPx_2010 Don't think most of the assistants were yes men. I just think Gus believed in his system soo much that he wasn't listening to anyone.

Yeah, except everyone had caught up to his 'system' / it was no longer working ... not too mention, in most ways, we weren't even running a HUNH or whatever anymore.

44 minutes ago, keesler said:

Are you telling us the AD coffers have been blown open in a huge way?  Money's not an issue and cost savings are no longer at the forefront?  Increasing budgets after the revenue losses due to covid last season is great news IMO.

@keesler No. I'm saying Harsin wants & plans on having a big recruiting staff. The previous recruiting staff being so small had nothing to do with the AD or budgeting. It was all Gus not trusting many people so he had a small staff.

43 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Yeah, except everyone had caught up to his 'system' / it was no longer working ... not too mention, in most ways, we weren't even running a HUNH or whatever anymore.

Yup totally agree!

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

There’s nothing to be worried about. The coaching staff was just finalized yesterday.

What exactly were these guys supposed to accomplish when they haven’t even fully moved their families to Auburn yet?

Recruiting is all about relationships, these recruits don’t know these new guys yet 

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@keesler No. I'm saying Harsin wants & plans on having a big recruiting staff. The previous recruiting staff being so small had nothing to do with the AD or budgeting. It was all Gus not trusting many people so he had a small staff.

I see.  I thought the small recruiting staff under the old regime may have been about payroll/money issue and the budget cuts in the AD.   I'm glad to know that if Coach Harsin chooses to triple the recruiting expenses, staffing, payroll that it will take to spend like our main rivals, then he's got the $$ to do it.  It's really good to know the AD is ready to spend money with the big boys in recruiting. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I see.  I thought the small recruiting staff under the old regime may have been about payroll/money issue and the budget cuts in the AD.   I'm glad to know that if Coach Harsin chooses to triple the recruiting expenses, staffing, payroll that it will take to spend like our main rivals, then he's got the $$ to do it.  It's really good to know the AD is ready to spend money with the big boys in recruiting. 

Yeah, I'm still a bit skeptical of Harsin in general (I was a Napier-stan). The nega-barner in me (I think that's the correct term) says that the 2020s are going to be the 1970s redux (the 2030s would be pretty sweet though if we continue that analogy rite?).

I hope our facility stands up to those of our rivals'.

Archived