Exactly what was the previous staff doing?

chizhead

28 minutes ago, eagle63 said:

We once had some decent recruiting.  Someone got lazy or just no longer cared.

Just going by rankings, our recruiting was doing fine until this class (#9 just last year!). However, OL recruiting has been bad for some time.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, AUwent said:

However, OL recruiting has been bad for some time.

Don't mention that around he who shall not admit wrong.

13 hours ago, eagle63 said:

We once had some decent recruiting.  Someone got lazy or just no longer cared.

A big part of it, I think, is that recruits finally realized the previous staff wasn't getting the job done. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A big part of it, I think, is that recruits finally realized the previous staff wasn't getting the job done. 

Plus our opponents were hammering recruits home about it.

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just goes to show how great salesmen these coaches are. I know they’re teenagers, but they’re internet savvy. Just look at results and draft picks lol I would have a hard time keeping a straight face if Gus told me I could excel in his offense post 2015 as a running back or god even a QB. 

To be fair, their parents play a big role in the decisions too fwiw

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Plus our opponents were hammering recruits home about it.

Plus Auburn turned in top 10 ranked classes on paper but had a retention problem with those top 10 classes. And when a program consistently pulls to 10 talent yet can't finish seasons ranked in the top 10 there's a problem. 

Rival opponents are ruthless and this is the SEC, Auburn gave them plenty of ammo to negative recruit with over the years.  

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Plus Auburn turned in top 10 ranked classes on paper but had a retention problem with those top 10 classes. And when a program consistently pulls to 10 talent yet can't finish seasons ranked in the top 10 there's a problem. 

Rival opponents are ruthless and this is the SEC, Auburn gave them plenty of ammo to negative recruit with over the years.  

Just as big as retention problems was the lack of development at a number of positions plus the poor recruiting on the OL as has been documented countless times now.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:52 PM, ellitor said:

No it's not. We have signed 12 & have 13 open spots to add high schoolers, jucos, & transfers that will be needed for depth purposes at minimum.

Signing day is next week.  You keep claiming every kid is going elsewhere b/c we can't build any relationships with players.  So how are we going to sign kids?  Kinda talking out of both sides of your mouth

46 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You keep claiming every kid is going elsewhere b/c we can't build any relationships with players

@W.E.D Nope. Never even remotely claimed every kid. We lead with Gaston, Hunter, Colby Smith, and Dylan Brooks at least although it may take Brooks longer to get his release from Tennessee but it is expected to happen.

50 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Kinda talking out of both sides of your mouth

Nope! You’re just pulling a Mikey and taking statements and extending them to their illogical extremes. You’re a negabarner. There’s nothing wrong with that. But please try not to put words in my mouth that were never there.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@W.E.D Nope. Never even remotely claimed every kid. We lead with Gaston, Hunter, Colby Smith, and Dylan Brooks at least although it may take Brooks longer to get his release from Tennessee but it is expected to happen.

Nope! You’re just pulling a Mikey and taking statements and extending them to their illogical extremes. You’re a negabarner. There’s nothing wrong with that. But please try not to put words in my mouth that were never there.

Ok, so we can build relationships to get kids, we're just going to use a bull**** excuse that the ones that got away are b/c we can't build relationships.

Believe what you want. I’m not gonna argue. I gave an education on how recruiting works from my long time intense experience from someone who follows this stuff probably closer than any fan on the face of this earth. I don’t know everything about recruiting but I know quite a lot. It’s up to you to accept the knowledge or not. No hard feelings or disrespect.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

. I gave you an education

You gave an opinion coated in orange and blue to make yourself feel better....

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You gave an opinion coated in orange and blue to make yourself feel better....

Nope! There was no sunshine in my post. Has nothing to do With orange and blue sunglasses at all. It’s also not opinion as it comes from many years of closely following and listening to the people who cover recruiting for a living. It’s a lot of facts coming from them.

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nope! There was no sunshine in my post. Has nothing to do With orange and blue sunglasses at all. It’s also not opinion as it comes from many years of closely following and listening to the people who cover recruiting for a living. It’s a lot of facts coming from them.

You don't follow recruiting very well if you don't think new coaches can't develop relationships quickly.  You don't need years if you're an elite recruiter

57 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You don't follow recruiting very well if you don't think new coaches can't develop relationships quickly.  You don't need years if you're an elite recruiter

There are still a lot of uncertainties on this staff.  Maybe they aren't elite recruiters?  Maybe they're being picky about the players that are left to recruit?  Maybe they actually are burning up the trail as we kill time on this message board?  

Name another program with a brand new coaching staff on 1/29/21, that's tearing it up with elite recruits and hauling in 5*'s right now.  

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Ok, so we can build relationships to get kids, we're just going to use a bull**** excuse that the ones that got away are b/c we can't build relationships.

I just face palmed this. Probably only the 2nd or 3rd time in many years I have used face palm. E has been way more patient then he should be. If you have nothing positive to contribute it would be better to just sit on the side line and read what people in the know like E-Post.

31 minutes ago, keesler said:

There are still a lot of uncertainties on this staff.  Maybe they aren't elite recruiters?  Maybe they're being picky about the players that are left to recruit?  Maybe they actually are burning up the trail as we kill time on this message board?  

Name another program with a brand new coaching staff on 1/29/21, that's tearing it up with elite recruits and hauling in 5*'s right now.  

With no visits allowed.  "Hey, commit to our school that you've never visited even though you've only known me for 2 weeks".

1 hour ago, keesler said:

He's been on the job for over a month.  I'm not really even talking about Gunner

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I just face palmed this. Probably only the 2nd or 3rd time in many years I have used face palm. E has been way more patient then he should be. If you have nothing positive to contribute it would be better to just sit on the side line and read what people in the know like E-Post.

I wasn't aware "E" is god and people aren't allowed to have a different opinion.  I'm glad I was able to give you the courage to use the mean like feature 

40 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

With no visits allowed.  "Hey, commit to our school that you've never visited even though you've only known me for 2 weeks".

I agree.  I've mentioned covid possibly being a reason.

It's a much better argument than we can't build relationships with the guys we don't get but the guys we go we tots built one.  That's just double talk

One piece of wisdom I taught my kids early on, "This thing you are complaining about is called life.  It's a game and you don't have to like this game, but you are playing this game.   It is unfair and never will be fair.  Don't expect it to be fair and always remember - play to win."

My kids can practically recite this.  

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I agree.  I've mentioned covid possibly being a reason.

It's a much better argument than we can't build relationships with the guys we don't get but the guys we go we tots built one.  That's just double talk

First the number of high quality players available dropped dramatically after the early signing period. I one of the coaches we just hired had been working with a recruit in our area it gives us a better chance of picking up a player. An example is we are looking pretty good with Colby Smith a HS OT that Coach Friend had been trying  to recruit and already had a relationship with the player and his family.  But a coach coming from Boise can build a relationship but not in two weeks especially since he can't go players home and meet player and parents. 

I think you would you say that Coach Pearl has done a good job of recruiting. His first two years at Auburn he signed some good players but not elite players. Sharife Cooper is a great example, Pearl and staff started recruiting him in 9th grade talked with him, his coaches, his parents gave him tips on what he could do to improve his game.  When Cooper signed with Auburn he mentioned the relationship he had built with Coach Pearl and his staff.  It takes time to build a relationship that is E's point. Pearl has proven to be a great recruiter but it took him time to build relationships.

You are correct E is not a God but I can tell you he is right a whole lot more than he is wrong. You can disagree with him. I know I have in the past sadly I have been proven wrong a lot more times then right.  People are getting upset with you not because you are disagreeing with E but because you seem incapable of understanding his point about relationships.

Relationship is not the only reason a kid comes to Auburn as E has mentioned in the past it can be a myriad number of reasons like girlfriend going to that school, parents went there, it is close to home, it is far away from home, the major the student plans to take, the offensive or defensive scheme at the schools fits the player, but for the great majority it is the relationship with your recruiters who explain how you will fit into the system the trust the parents have after meeting and getting to know the coach, the coaches at his school who have worked with the coach and trust him

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

First the number of high quality players available dropped dramatically after the early signing period. Id one of the coaches we just hired only ready had been working with a recruit in our area it gives us a better chance of picking up a player. An example is we are looking pretty good with Colby Smith a HS OT that Coach Friend had been trying  to recruit and already had a relationship with the player and his family.  But a coach coming from Boise can build a relationship but not in two weeks especially since he can't go players home and meet player and parents. 

I think you would you say that Coach Pearl has done a good job of recruiting. His first two years at Auburn he signed some good players but not elite players. Sharife Cooper is a great example, Pearl and staff started recruiting him in 9th grade talked with him, his coaches, his parents gave him tips on what he could do to improve his game.  When Cooper signed with Auburn he mentioned the relationship he had built with Coach Pearl and his staff.  It takes time to build a relationship that is E's point. Pearl has proven to be a great recruiter but it took him time to build relationships.

You are correct E is not a God but I can tell you he is right a whole lot more than he is wrong. You can disagree with him. I know I have in the past sadly I have been proven wrong a lot more times then right.  People are getting upset with you not because you are disagreeing with E but because you seem incapable of understanding his point about relationships.

Relationship is not the only reason a kid comes to Auburn as E has mentioned in the past it can be a myriad number of reasons like girlfriend going to that school, parents went there, it is close to home, it is far away from home, the major the student plans to take, the offensive or defensive scheme at the schools fits the player, but for the great majority it is the relationship with your recruiters who explain how you will fit into the system the trust the parents have after meeting and getting to know the coach, the coaches at his school who have worked with the coach and trust him

I don't disagree with a lot.  But right now we're missing on some kids that aren't top 10 kids in the nation.  And we're losing kids to freaking Kentucky...not top schools.  White washing losing a kid solely b/c we have a new staff doesn't make sense when we're going sign other kids we have no relationship with.

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

Don't mention that around he who shall not admit wrong.

That guy was chastising me over my questioning of OL recruiting 4 years ago.  Did he never give in?

Archived