1988 vs # 1 UK Memories

WarGolfEagle

https://twitter.com/au_history/status/553677648254472192?s=21 

Completely forgot to post this last week, but it was recently the anniversary of my old man hitting the game winner against #1 Kentucky in Rupp arena. I’d love to hear any stories y’all might have if anybody remembers this game.

• ellitor changed the title to 1988 vs # 1 UK Memories

3 hours ago, WarGolfEagle said:

https://twitter.com/au_history/status/553677648254472192?s=21 

Completely forgot to post this last week, but it was recently the anniversary of my old man hitting the game winner against #1 Kentucky in Rupp arena. I’d love to hear any stories y’all might have if anybody remembers this game.

Go to YouTube and listen to AU’s Jim Fyfe call the game. Good stuff. 

I remember watching this game on pins and needles! Huge win for the good guys. Didn’t your dad catch a ball to the groin and go down for a few minutes in this game,  only to hit the winner later? Dang, I was a young man then.

I remember having to go to work at my new job out of high school and sitting in my truck listening to it. I was just like, screw it. I was very late clocking in, thought I would get fired, but it was worth it.

From the very beginning and I don't know why, but it just had a different feel to the game even though I was listening over the air, it just seemed like the team had a different energy. We weren't that great that year (no offense to the original poster) and there was no reason to think we would beat Kentucky that year either. But we played hard and gave teams fits. We were a scrappy bunch

Just an amazing moment in AU Basketball.

On 1/16/2021 at 3:39 AM, WarTim said:

Go to YouTube and listen to AU’s Jim Fyfe call the game. Good stuff. 

Couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

My freshman year, right at the beginning of winter quarter...we'd had some ice that snapped lots of pine tree limbs a few days before, and our trailer was without power for a day or so. I think we'd just gotten it back for that game on Saturday night.

Just looked at the box score again...had forgotten that Jeff Moore didn't play. Mike Jones had just gotten kicked off the team, so we were definitely short-handed. John stepped in admirably. If you're only going to take and make one 3 all night, that was the time.

Always appreciated John's efforts on the court during his time at AU, especially after an injury that was fairly serious (shoulder/arm?). I'm sure he remembers that shot fondly, as do I. Pieced that win together with scotch tape and baling wire.

Archived