Cornelius Williams New WR Coach

Tony4AU

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I have an idea. Let’s all list our occupations and how long we’ve been doing it, and see how it relates to being qualified to critique a  football coaching hire. 

Ummm....as a guy that has completed a 60 year dynasty on NCAA 14, and been watching football for over 30 years....I think it is safe to say that EVERYONE can and should trust my opinion. That is all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, rophle said:

He’s been a Div1 coach for 6 years, what do you mean this is his first opportunity? Troy isn’t a JV team ya know. 

Cmon. His salary is about to be tripled. Let's not pretend all D1 is the same

10 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

He will have some talent to work with for sure ..

We really don't know that

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So you can't talk football ever again? 

That's kinda silly don't you think? What's the point being on a message board? 

I’m not talking about the general discussion. It’s the presumption in some posts that somehow a hire isn’t legitimate until ‘I’ve had an opportunity to look into it.”  It’s laughable.

Edited by Swamp Eagle

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We really don't know that

Ok ..IMO WR has been the least used talent group during the Gus era including tight ends...

Kobe Hudson, both of the Johnson kids, Canion, Capers, Evans, and Presley...I am sure I am missing a few as well. It’s some talent in the WR room.

Edited by PoetTiger
  • Like 2

Mason is the only wow hire on the staff, but we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Just Bc a guy isn’t a “big name” doesn’t mean he won’t be successful and become one. All these great position coaches started and made their names somewhere. From things I’ve read up on him, I think this a really good hire.

What other schools were bidding for his services? That’s another way to look at it. Maybe we are just smarter than everyone else though. 

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

What other schools were bidding for his services? That’s another way to look at it. Maybe we are just smarter than everyone else though. 

I’d be interested to see what schools were bidding for position coaches services back in the 2000’s before they got their first really solid power 5 job. Kirby smart, for example, was GA at FSU  before he was Saban’s DB coach at LSU.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’d be interested to see what schools were bidding for position coaches services back in the 2000’s before they got their first really solid power 5 job. Kirby smart, for example, was GA at FSU  before he was Saban’s DB coach at LSU.

I think you're missing the point.  No one is saying he can't be a good coach, but he's definitely not a proven commodity that we stole from someone. 

Just as those guys were unproven and unknown. That is what Corn is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our fans have the dumbest logic 

Derek Mason legit had several schools bidding for his services and before he was hired , a loud minority group was bashing the potential.

now we have a guy who is rather unknown in the big circle but had quite a bit of success coaching his position group and has ties down here ..now it is “what other schools wanted him.” Who cares?! When CKS got here , other schools wasn’t vying for his services either . You guys love twill yet I don’t see schools knocking down his door to get him.

just no rhyme or reason with some of y’all 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

What other schools needed a WR coach?

South Carolina did - and they hired a native of South Carolina who played at Furman and GA'd at Clemson. I.E: they prioritized someone who knows their landscape, as they should. Not every school is in the mix for the same group of coaches as there is a regional basis for this job as well.

This is a CONNECTIONS business; hence why you see guys hired based off of who they GA'd under or who they have a connection to, or the state they went to school in or played in.

This guy is ~32 years old. Literally only graduated in 2010. He's not some 45-50 year old coach who's hit his peak at Troy and that's the high point of his career. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Probably because it was an interview process. Those take time. Apparently he has a process and just does not knee jerk hire. 

I hear what you’re saying, but it’s hard to believe that it would take this long for CBH to talk C Williams into moving from the Sunbelt to the SEC, regardless of how long he’d been at his alma mater (if he was one of CBH’s top 3-4 picks for the coaching slot).

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think you're missing the point.  No one is saying he can't be a good coach, but he's definitely not a proven commodity that we stole from someone. 

Just as those guys were unproven and unknown. That is what Corn is

Im not missing the point lol. Just the fact that if it’s not a “splash” everyone is disappointed is a little old

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, auburndkel said:

I hear what you’re saying, but it’s hard to believe that it would take this long for CBH to talk C Williams into moving from the Sunbelt to the SEC, regardless of how long he’d been at his alma mater (if he was one of CBH’s top 3-4 picks for the coaching slot).

He may have had a list of guys interviewed them all, checked his notes and came back to Williams. No one truly knows how the process went. I am just excited to have a true WR coach on board.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, metafour said:

What other schools needed a WR coach?

South Carolina did - and they hired a native of South Carolina who played at Furman and GA'd at Clemson. I.E: they prioritized someone who knows their landscape, as they should. Not every school is in the mix for the same group of coaches as there is a regional basis for this job as well.

This is a CONNECTIONS business; hence why you see guys hired based off of who they GA'd under or who they have a connection to, or the state they went to school in or played in.

This guy is ~32 years old. Literally only graduated in 2010. He's not some 45-50 year old coach who's hit his peak at Troy and that's the high point of his career. 

So much this

54 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Ok ..IMO WR has been the least used talent group during the Gus era including tight ends...

Kobe Hudson, both of the Johnson kids, Canion, Capers, Evans, and Presley...I am sure I am missing a few as well. It’s some talent in the WR room.

Yeah we have a bunch of names of people who should be good but everybody you named doesn't have any production behind their name

By the way, many of these other "splash hires" and elite recruiters that everyone wanted literally followed the same career path as Cornelius Williams - they were elevated to high-end coaching staffs as young coaches with limited experience. Most of the elite recruiters you see today became elite recruiters despite having no track record. When you see a school like Auburn, FSU, Georgia, etc. hire a ~32 year old from a non P5 school, its BECAUSE that coach has tabbed as a "rising star" in the industry.

Jimbo Fisher hired Demeyune Craig away from South Alabama. Before that he was at Tuskegee.

Bryan McClendon was a Grad Assistant at Georgia and was promoted to RB coach.

When Will Muschamp brought Travaris Robinson to Florida, he was coming off just one season at Texas Tech. Before that he had been at Southern Miss and Western Kentucky. He GOT that Florida job because he GA'd under Muschamp at Auburn.

Kirby Smart spent two seasons at Valdosta State, then he GA'd at Florida State, before Saban hired him as DB coach at LSU.

Glenn Schumann (Co-DC, ILB at UGA) came over with Kirby from Alabama and had never even been an on-field coach before. He was a GA at Alabama and then "Director of Player Development" for two seasons. Go look at his recruiting list at Georgia, it's absolutely frightening.

Dan Lanning (DC at UGA) who Sark just tried to hire away to Texas was the same thing: DB coach at Sam Houston State for one season, GA'd at Alabama, ILB coach and RC at Memphis for two seasons before joining Georgia's staff as OLB coach and then promoted to DC/OLB. His recruiting resume is also disgusting.

Edited by metafour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

Buzz from people that would know is this is a very good hire of an up and comer. He's got the recruiting connections in Alabama which is something we were needing on staff. Doesn't feel like we "settled", at all.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah we have a bunch of names of people who should be good but everybody you named doesn't have any production behind their name

Neither does any other incoming freshman or RS. Has to be proven, but he has a great room of potential to work with. Probably far more than he had at Troy.

• Like 1