Cornelius Williams New WR Coach

Tony4AU

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Who has blindly assumed anything ?! Again how did you come to the conclusion that they won’t? It seems like you have blindly assumed the opposite ?

I’m inferring a blind assumption on some of you guys part, because instead of replying to my first comment with, “here’s why I think he can out recruit those schools” people chose to say things like “what makes you think you know more than Bryan Harsin”. “And relax because Harsin knows more than 99% of this board about football”. Well yea so does Gus Malzahn and Gene Chizik. It doesn’t mean that every coaching choice they made was successful. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

if you can picture some guy committed to Saban or Kiffen saying “oh snap Auburn just landed Cornelius Williams, lemme rethink my commitment, please tell me what you know about this guy that gives you that kind of confidence. I want to be excited and optimistic about him, as well. 

So now you are comparing Auburns WR coach  to bama and Ol' Miss'  head coaches as big names. 

What about Holmon Wiggins or Derick Nix?     Harsin obviously thinks Cornelius Williams can keep up with them.

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

tell me what you know about this guy that gives you that kind of confidence.

I get the concern about name recognition. But can you name the assistant coaches for Minnesota or Northwestern? The coach and players on Minnesota’s o line abused Garner and our highly rated defense last year. And this year the Northwestern WRs and QBs did the same versus our secondary. Yet none of us knows any of those coaches names. In both cases those coaches took us to the woodshed with lowly rated players who were extremely well coached and in a sound scheme. Maybe Harsin feels Like CW is cut from the same cloth as a coach, developer, and recruiter. 

• Like 3

As many have said already, everyone is a no name until they’re not. To blindly assume he won’t do well because you don’t know who he is, is asinine and silly. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

So again , it is not based on any objective data. It is simply your own subjective reasoning based on him being a brand new coach to the SEC. You don’t have to be optimistic about the hire. But don’t get upset when people push back on your conclusion  that is not based on any type of objective data. 

They shouldn’t get upset when I’m cautiously optimistic and say stuff like what I just quoted in my last post. And my assumption isn’t based on data, but neither is there’s. That’s the whole point. There isn’t any data showing that this guy has a good chance of being able to out recruit the big dogs. Where as if a name like Tee Martin or Dell McGee was hired, I’d have more data to go off of and be able to picture good recruiting.

12 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What a strange couple of months this has been. If you had told me the day after Gus was fired that this would be the Auburn staff on January 16, 2021, I would have been super confused and frantically googling half the names, including the head coach. Man I hope this thing works out. I just can’t see a picture a reality in my head where this WR coach out recruits Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, or LSU for high profile receivers. Here’s to hoping Harsin is as gifted at evaluating talent as some of you guys say he is. 

Ok.. tell me who the WR coaches are at Alabama, Ga, FLorida, etc..?

Bet you don't know.  Alabama has had the best WR core over the last 4-5 years now? The guy currently their WR has been there 1 year. You mean to tell me he recruits better than our new WR coach? 

No, the key is they come to Alabama bc it's easier to coach and recruit when you have a Nick Saban program. 

Our WR coach has tons of WR coaching experience..he knows the SE area, he WAS a WR when he played.

Can't that be a positive? And gives him a chance to out recruit those other schools?

How can think our coach can't out recruit and coach these other guys? I say...let's wait and see.

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

They shouldn’t get upset when I’m cautiously optimistic and say stuff like what I just quoted in my last post. And my assumption isn’t based on data, but neither is there’s. That’s the whole point. There isn’t any data showing that this guy has a good chance of being able to out recruit the big dogs. Where as if a name like Tee Martin or Dell McGee was hired, I’d have more data to go off of and be able to picture good recruiting.

You are arguing with yourself . I am not saying this guy will just be successful because CBH hires him. I am (like most others ) are in wait and see mode before we write him off. You have chosen to just write him. Therein lies the difference. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I get the concern about name recognition. But can you name the assistant coaches for Minnesota or Northwestern? The coach and players on Minnesota’s o line abused Garner and our highly rated defense last year. And this year the Northwestern WRs and QBs did the same versus our secondary. Yet none of us knows any of those coaches names. In both cases those coaches took us to the woodshed with lowly rated players who were extremely well coached and in a sound scheme. Maybe Harsin feels Like CW is cut from the same cloth as a coach, developer, and recruiter. 

Maybe he does come in and take names. I hope so, because I want to see us put more big name WR’s In the league. And I’d probably have concerns about those Minnesota and NW coaches as well, for the same reasons, until the show that they can do well. What I’m not going to do is assume that just because Auburn’s head coach hired him, he must be great at coaching and recruiting. I’ve been hit with that harsh reality too many times over the last 33 years of my life. I believe Tony Franklin was where I first got burned. And the burning has just been steady and slow from there. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Ok.. tell me who the WR coaches are at Alabama, Ga, FLorida, etc..?

Bet you don't know.  Alabama has had the best WR core over the last 4-5 years now? The guy currently their WR has been there 1 year. You mean to tell me he recruits better than our new WR coach? 

No, the key is they come to Alabama bc it's easier to coach and recruit when you have a Nick Saban program. 

Our WR coach has tons of WR coaching experience..he knows the SE area, he WAS a WR when he played.

Can't that be a positive? And gives him a chance to out recruit those other schools?

How can think our coach can't out recruit and coach these other guys? I say...let's wait and see.

It absolutely can give him a chance to our recruit those other schools, and it will more than likely have to be what he hangs his hat on until Harsin can build a reputable program that can recruit itself like Bama, UGA, etc. 

But you’re absolutely right. If we hired Bama’s WR coach, I would have to google his name and then I’d see that it’s Bama’s WR coach and think to myself, “if Nick Saban (the guy who has won 7 national titles) hired him, he must be great”. Or if Kirby Smart (the guy who has built a recruiting machine at Georgia) hired him, he must be great”. But I don’t have that kind of faith in Harsin yet, where he grabs a guy from Troy and I’m confident. I wish I did. Life would be easier. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What I’m not going to do is assume that just because Auburn’s head coach hired him, he must be great at coaching and recruiting.  

Please point out where anyone said, "just because Auburn’s head coach hired him, he must be great at coaching and recruiting. " 

You are literally arguing against a non existent view.

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Please point out where anyone said, "just because Auburn’s head coach hired him, he must be great at coaching and recruiting. " 

You are literally arguing against a non existent view.

I didn’t say you or anyone else had that view, buddy. I’m just saying that’s how I go into coaching hires. Optimistic at new possibilities, but cautious at the fact that even good coaches make risky hires, and have to turn around a find somebody else. 

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I didn’t say you or anyone else had that view, buddy. I’m just saying that’s how I go into coaching hires. Optimistic at new possibilities, but cautious at the fact that even good coaches make risky hires, and have to turn around a find somebody else. 

You literally said that in one of your post lol

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So I think a lot of people are of the mindset, Harsin is great, so anyone he hires has to be great as well.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are arguing with yourself . I am not saying this guy will just be successful because CBH hires him. I am (like most others ) are in wait and see mode before we write him off. You have chosen to just write him. Therein lies the difference. 

What a strange couple of months this has been. If you had told me the day after Gus was fired that this would be the Auburn staff on January 16, 2021, I would have been super confused and frantically googling half the names, including the head coach.

JUST ME KEEPING IT REAL.

Man I hope this thing works out.

OPTIMISTIC AND HOPEFUL

I just can’t see a picture a reality in my head where this WR coach out recruits Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, or LSU for high profile receivers. 

WHY IM CAUTIOUS. AND I BELIEVE IT TO BE COMPLETELY NORMAL GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

Here’s to hoping Harsin is as gifted at evaluating talent as some of you guys say he is. 

REAFFIRMING MY OPTIMISM AND HOPEFULNESS. ALSO THE LITERAL TEXT EMBODIMENT OF IM GOING TO WAIT AND SEE.

Where in my OP did you get that I have written this guy off? Please tell me. I also can’t physically picture a reality where we have people walking around on Mars. But that doesn’t mean I’m saying that we won’t. I’m just pointing out that I don’t know enough about space travel to assume picture it happening successfully. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I just can’t see a picture a reality in my head where this WR coach out recruits Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, or LSU for high profile receivers. 

This is not a quote of writing him off? Do you not conceptualize the things you type . You have nothing to base this statement off , just like I can’t say “ I see this guy being successful in the SEC.” it is based on purely subjective thoughts on my part , which is why I won’t say that.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You right. I did say that. My bad. What I meant to tell him is I’m not attacking him specifically for being a Harsin or bust guy. I don’t know him enough to know that’s how he feels. But I’m not going to assume because Harsin knows more about football than me, he can’t make a risky hire. 

I’m trying to think back when caddy was hired, had he not played for us, what would the reaction have been? Caddy had 3 one year stints before he came here: GA at West Georgia, RB coach at IMG, RB coach for Birmingham Iron.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It is not what you say.  It is how you say it.    when you say tings like... 

"What I’m not going to do is assume that just because Auburn’s head coach hired him, he must be great at coaching and recruiting."

...it comes across as if you think everyone else assumes that "just because Auburn’s head coach hired him, he must be great at coaching and recruiting".  You are putting words in other poster's mouths.

No one thinks because Auburn’s head coach hired him, he must be great at coaching and recruiting.  Everyone is hoping that or giving the benefit of the doubt for now.  

I understand,  you are Jaded from being burned.  Try to enjoy the ride.   Life is short.

WDE    

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You right. I did say that. My bad. What I meant to tell him is I’m not attacking him specifically for being a Harsin or bust guy. I don’t know him enough to know that’s how he feels. But I’m not going to assume because Harsin knows more about football than me, he can’t make a risky hire. 

Okay man haha. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is not a quote of writing him off? Do you not conceptualize the things you type . You have nothing to base this statement off , just like I can’t say “ I see this guy being successful in the SEC.” it is based on purely subjective thoughts on my part , which is why I won’t say that.

You didn’t say that but a lot of people did. And no it’s not me writing him off. It’s me making the claim that, because of his pedigree and name recognition, and the fact that he’s coaching for a new name to the SEC,  I can’t picture him walking in and recruiting against Bama, etc. I can picture him getting hired by Saban and being successful at recruiting, because he will have the Bama program to fall back on. 

If you can honestly sit here and say that you have the same kind of confidence in this guy as you’d have if we hired McClendon, Tee Martin, or Damyune Craig, then we just have a difference in our faith in coaches and nothing either one of us says is going to change that. 

Oh good lord stop crying and arguing about rather he will be good or not and relax, time will tell, arguing about it isn't gonna prove anything today especially since he hasnt even had time to unpack jeez. WDE!

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You didn’t say that but a lot of people did. And no it’s not me writing him off. It’s me making the claim that, because of his pedigree and name recognition, and the fact that he’s coaching for a new name to the SEC,  I can’t picture him walking in and recruiting against Bama, etc. I can picture him getting hired by Saban and being successful at recruiting, because he will have the Bama program to fall back on. 

If you can honestly sit here and say that you have the same kind of confidence in this guy as you’d have if we hired McClendon, Tee Martin, or Damyune Craig, then we just have a difference in our faith in coaches and nothing either one of us says is going to change that. 

Okay, this is my last post to you because you have shown to be all over the place and inconsistent. It would be hard for anybody to just walk in and just win anything against SABAN. He is the GOAT. You have used some extremity in your messages all day. With that being said, that does not mean he cannot be successful In recruiting quality WR here just because you do NOT recognize him or you are upset because you got caught up in the social media game regarding "SPLASH HIRES." You are caught up in the BIG NAMES. I am not. I don't live by that measure.

12 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m trying to think back when caddy was hired, had he not played for us, what would the reaction have been? Caddy had 3 one year stints before he came here: GA at West Georgia, RB coach at IMG, RB coach for Birmingham Iron.

I absolutely was scared s**less when Caddy was hired at the recruiting. Probably even more, because had a history of hiring yes men. But Caddy has for the most part showed he can go after those guys and grab em up. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Hopefully we'll get a WOW hire for OLC.

We'll hear names from the NFL, elite recruiters at other SEC schools, then out of the blue it'll be a Boise coach or someone no one has ever heard of.... But I can assure you one thing, it'll be a great hire

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Even if we had hired Tee, Damyune or MCClendon, there is no guarantee we would have recruited the cream of the crop. THose tend to still go to the Bama's, Ga's, FLs, and LSUs. Why? Bc, they have in the past shown to put their WRs in the NFL with college results.

We have to show our offense will showcase our WRs too, put up great offensive numbers, win a lot of games, and compete for championships.

So regardless of who we hired at WR, it's going to take Harsin's offense to eventually bring those top 30 WR recruits to AU. For now we have a coach who has been shown to be a relentless and very good recruiter, and a quality position coach. That's as good as we need right now.

• Like 1