Grade each hire so far

AUwent

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, metafour said:

Bryan Harsin has arguably the best track-record of any coach we've hired - ever. Who were your "A" hire candidates?

I don’t think thats saying anything when it comes to Auburn. Freeze and Cristobal were my A or higher candidates

im on mobile so I can’t get to every point presented, but I was intending for drop off to mean amongst their contemporaries on that level of football. UGA will never have a drop off amongst the SEC as long as Kirby is there, but have they experienced a drop off amongst the best on the D1 level? Probably. I think that means something when you have an entire level (as the G5 has recently) get significantly better while you’ve pretty much plateau’d, and in public opinion, decline slightly. They’ve basically hovered at the very bottom of the top 25 recently, while polls have seemingly given more room to allowing for G5’s to finish high (relatively). You can contend that maybe they’ve just become as big as they can within the constraints they were given, and Harsin did raise that subject. But I simply listed it as something noteworthy to me. 

I also think it’s blatantly wrong to say the RB room didn’t get better this season. Shivers looked like a real SEC back that could run an entire game for you IMO. DJ was better at that Gus role of blocking back than his contemporaries IMO. MAR should’ve been given way more touches, looked good whenever he got in. I think it looked like the best backfield we had since 2017, and considering the OL inconsistency, Worm looked better this year than Pettway did that season. I also think upside and teaching the new guys the landscape, the SEC and Auburn. Harsin wasn’t making many hires to check off those boxes that were better than Cadillac. He also was a big part on closing the deal on DJ, who was one of the most heavily recruited RBs in the latter half of his cycle, and losing Armoni was due to events not of his control. I don’t project that we’ll have another total dumpster fire soon, so I’m not gonna factor that in when I’m evaluating what he can do recruiting. 

15 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Back on topic ALL. 

Harsin B -- 2nd tier after missed/unable to entice a select few top Candidates

Bobo C -- Meh, been around for ever and not very exciting.  But think Harsin can lead him to some newer schemes & will be able to recruit S. Ga very well

Friend B -- Immediate upgrade to OL recruiting.  UGA was happy for him to leave, but did have good OLs along the way.

CWill D -- Unknown, not proven.  Especially after proven coaches/recruiters like McClendon or Wyatt were circulated.  Doesn't mean he can't improve.

Caddy B -- He's coached well & recruited well in his short stint.

Beddell D -- Not even a TE coach or history at that position. But one of the first few Boise guys over.  

Mason B -- Hopefully it was just Vandy problems and not really his ideal defense over the last 5 years.  IDK y'all love his recruiting, we'll see.  Hopefully he can nerd out on defensive schemes and shut down RPO offenses like he did the spread.

Rocker B -- Recruiting on the road will be underwhelming, but good coach.

Schmedding B -- DC to a "Co" role should be good.

Etheridge D -- Similar to C-Will. Should have some cover with Mason helping in the secondary.

I think a staff is a sum of it's parts vs each individually.  Feel like it's a solid B staff.  Good mix of young up and comers with some established SEC vets.  I don't think we had a single amazing hire.  Guys like Dell, McClendon, Lebby...those are A hires IMO. 

Friend might be the most impactful due to his recruiting abilities.  I think we have a lot of very good coaches

24 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

OK cleaned up the last page if you want to continue take to PM's. If not will be locked.

Thanks golf, good modding

Harsin:   🙂  

Bobo:   🙂  

Carnell Williams:  😐  

Cornelius Williams:  🙂

Etheridge :    😐

Friend:        🙂

Mason:       🙂

Bedell:        😐

Rocker:       🙂

Schmedding:    🙂  

4 hours ago, The Freak said:
6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Worm looked better this year than Pettway did that season.

No.

This. Worm could have his role-he is fast, strong as an ox, and obviously a great leader as evidenced by his being elected captain of the team. He is also a little stiff and not super elusive. He could be incredibly productive in the right role and is a guy I would want on my team anytime. He is not a feature back though and if he was in the role of Pettway in 2016 (or even 2017)would have busted some long runs but would not have been nearly as productive

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

So you agree it's more difficult to recruit at Stanford, Great!

Can we now move on from this discussion or take it to PMs, thanks

Thanks for the insight!

23 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t think thats saying anything when it comes to Auburn. Freeze and Cristobal were my A or higher candidates

im on mobile so I can’t get to every point presented, but I was intending for drop off to mean amongst their contemporaries on that level of football. UGA will never have a drop off amongst the SEC as long as Kirby is there, but have they experienced a drop off amongst the best on the D1 level? Probably. I think that means something when you have an entire level (as the G5 has recently) get significantly better while you’ve pretty much plateau’d, and in public opinion, decline slightly. They’ve basically hovered at the very bottom of the top 25 recently, while polls have seemingly given more room to allowing for G5’s to finish high (relatively). You can contend that maybe they’ve just become as big as they can within the constraints they were given, and Harsin did raise that subject. But I simply listed it as something noteworthy to me. 

I kind of had the same perception you do until I went through the numbers. Peterson faced a SOS of -3.3 on average (0.0 is average SOS for all of CFB, Gus faced a +6.06!) whereas Harsin faced a -1.48 SOS AND was short-handed his first three years due to probation (9 total schollies lost). Peterson went 8-5 his last year, Harsin turned around and went 12-2 the next year. Harsin gets an A- from me, but I'm not sure I saw an A+ coach on the market. 

Pete Thamel is reporting that Mizzou just Brick Haley d-line coach Brick Haley was let go. His name has been mentioned by some of you for CBH staff.

7 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

I kind of had the same perception you do until I went through the numbers. Peterson faced a SOS of -3.3 on average (0.0 is average SOS for all of CFB, Gus faced a +6.06!) whereas Harsin faced a -1.48 SOS AND was short-handed his first three years due to probation (9 total schollies lost). Peterson went 8-5 his last year, Harsin turned around and went 12-2 the next year. Harsin gets an A- from me, but I'm not sure I saw an A+ coach on the market. 

those are endearing statistics that do affect my perception a bit, I appreciate posting them. I didnt know about the probation. I dont remember what I gave him off the top of my head but Ill give him a B+. he was better than anyone I think we couldve gotten after that tier of Mario and Hugh

Archived