A movie star has a tip for Cooper:

Mikey

Clint Eastwood to Coop: "A man's got to know his limitations". (Magnum Force, 1973)

As good as Cooper is, and he's going to get better, he's still trying to do things that are beyond his limitations. I believe in time he'll learn when to go and when to whoa but right now he's trying to do things he cannot do.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Clint Eastwood to Coop: "A man's got to know his limitations". (Magnum Force, 1973)

As good as Cooper is, and he's going to get better, he's still trying to do things that are beyond his limitations. I believe in time he'll learn when to go and when to whoa but right now he's trying to do things he cannot do.

People are going to zone him and collapse on him when they invite him to drive into the zone. Kentucky did some of that like I expected they would. I don't think anyone will try to go straight M2M with him, maybe try deny him the ball some. UK tried that too and their length gave him some problems. ( I noticed USCe has some length last night and are very physical, more so than UK). All SC has to do is start hitting the 3 and what happened to him yesterday might not happen too much more in the future. He still played winning basketball even if it wasn't his best game. If a guy is open, the little fart will find them and get them the ball

1 minute ago, chizhead said:

He still played winning basketball even if it wasn't his best game. If a guy is open, the little fart will find them and get them the ball

He's definitely playing great basketball. He'll be even mo' greater when he learns what not to do in certain situations.

He’ll get it dialed in as we go. Heck, he’s only 3 games in to his college career and had to jump straight in to the SEC at that. No warm up games to get his feet wet. I know he’s used to playing high level AAU but I can’t imagine the speed and quality of that matches the UK’s and Bama’s of the world. He’s got a super high bball IQ and I have no doubt he’ll continue to improve and adjust rapidly. 

He's a true freshman that didn't have the warm up games and he's leading right off the bat. He hasn't had time to get chemistry down and hasn't played long enough to know his teammates strengths and weaknesses. He's also learning on the fly the difference in size speed and strength as far as his opponent's. So far he's been fantastic given the circumstances

6 hours ago, chizhead said:

People are going to zone him and collapse on him when they invite him to drive into the zone. Kentucky did some of that like I expected they would. I don't think anyone will try to go straight M2M with him, maybe try deny him the ball some. UK tried that too and their length gave him some problems. ( I noticed USCe has some length last night and are very physical, more so than UK). All SC has to do is start hitting the 3 and what happened to him yesterday might not happen too much more in the future. He still played winning basketball even if it wasn't his best game. If a guy is open, the little fart will find them and get them the ball

Kentucky did like I said. They matched up longer guards on him and backed off. Of course teams personnel dictates most choices but like I said teams are not going to change their defense for one person. Right now teams won't care if he can beat his man off the dribble because we don't have proven shooters. And if he for some reason was consistently beating a guy they would just put their best defender on him. 

Teams that like to run zone will continue doing so and teams that like to run man will do the same. 

5 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

He’ll get it dialed in as we go. Heck, he’s only 3 games in to his college career and had to jump straight in to the SEC at that. No warm up games to get his feet wet. I know he’s used to playing high level AAU but I can’t imagine the speed and quality of that matches the UK’s and Bama’s of the world. He’s got a super high bball IQ and I have no doubt he’ll continue to improve and adjust rapidly. 

Look how he adjusted in the second half against Kentucky.  The little running jump shot when he was going down the lane also when he drives we are starting to see more people cutting to the basket so he can dump if two come at him.  It is not just Cooper who has to adjust it is also the players around him. When Powell was having to play PG every now and then he would surprise the man covering him and drive when he did you did not see the Thor, Cardwell, Williams, or Stretch cut done on opposite side of the lane you are starting to see it with Cooper. Powell didn't do it enough for them to realize they could get easy scores and monster dunks. 

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I'm hoping this keeps him around another season.

Next year could be incredible!

Honestly if he develops a shot off of the dribble and a 3-ball then he's golden. 

10 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Honestly if he develops a shot off of the dribble and a 3-ball then he's golden. 

Not with the defense he plays 

13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Look how he adjusted in the second half against Kentucky.  The little running jump shot when he was going down the lane also when he drives we are starting to see more people cutting to the basket so he can dump if two come at him.  It is not just Cooper who has to adjust it is also the players around him. When Powell was having to play PG every now and then he would surprise the man covering him and drive when he did you did not see the Thor, Cardwell, Williams, or Stretch cut done on opposite side of the lane you are starting to see it with Cooper. Powell didn't do it enough for them to realize they could get easy scores and monster dunks. 

Good insight. Thanks 

13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Look how he adjusted in the second half against Kentucky.

He's definitely improving. A painful look back at the last two minutes of the bammer game reveals how far he's already come since then. There's still a goodly way for him to go but I think he'll get there.

The answer to guarding him right now is to back off and let him shoot. He can't throw it in the ocean from the 3. When he gets that going, then it will be something. He's a great player, but still can be so much more.

I agree but the only way to learn is to do it. If he can learn when to back out while still winning..... it’s easy to see where he can be better but he’s pretty good now.  
     You take the good with the bad. It’s a net positive. 

Archived