Null

Auburn Players Jumping Ship To Tennessee !!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm 58 years old and graduated from Auburn in 1985.  I watched every home game from the student section for 4 years, as Bo Jackson (Big Train) and Lionell James (Little Train) dominated SEC defenses. 

I used to eat lunch with Coach Dye occasionally when I worked in Tallassee at the East Tallassee Cafe. Most accessible head coach of a major college program of his time. First time I saw him in there,

who's going to start the "Tennessee players jumping ship to Auburn" thread now?  

3 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

If CRG is coaching there next year, UTk fans (what few are left) will get to enjoy watching the D-line technique of avoiding swim moves, locking up with the O-lineman and try to bull-rush every play.     So wonderful to watch.    

but but but we were told years ago on this very forum to stop questioning his coaching techniques. wha-wha-wha happened?

Just now, Viper said:

but but but we were told years ago on this very forum to stop questioning his coaching techniques. wha-wha-wha happened?

I never understood.   He could recruit. I guess that was his thang. 

Just now, 1auburn1 said:

I never understood.   He could recruit. I guess that was his thang. 

And that was what was acknowledged by both sides. Yet after some of us called out his coaching techniques, because Derrick Brown made every O-Lineman look silly, the local experts on this forum were like...

howd-you-like-them-apples.gif

4 hours ago, Tmoney56 said:

I used to eat lunch with Coach Dye occasionally when I worked in Tallassee at the East Tallassee Cafe. Most accessible head coach of a major college program of his time. First time I saw him in there, he offered to let me sit at his booth because there were no other seats available.

Coach Jordan was that way too. I remember Coach Jordan introducing himself to me when I was walking across campus before fall classes started as a freshman. He introduced himself to me, not the other way around. When I was a sophomore, he saw me on campus and called me by name and asked me how my mother and father were doing.

Great men, but humble too. I've only cried twice when great football coaches died - Jordan and Dye.

The first baseball team I coached just happened to include Pat Dye's grandson.  I met his daughter Missy and her husband after I moved to Huntsville, and their son just happened to wind up on my team.  Just a great family to be around.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

He wasn’t second fiddle.   They were in the same backfield.   Completely different offense.   You can’t fault someone for wanting to play more, especially if they feel like they put forth more effort during practice and other activities.   

Back then, Auburn played with multiple back sets featuring Bo Jackson.  And while other backs were in the game at the same time as Bo, and some started along with him, he was always the featured back.  From the first game of his freshman year.  Lionell James was the lead blocker for Bo much more than the reverse.  I guess that's what I meant when I said that Lionell James took 2nd fiddle to Bo.

And I fault anyone who signs up to play at Auburn, and then quits.  That's just my old-school approach to college sports, and I'm too old to change the way I think about that.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I'm 58 years old and graduated from Auburn in 1985.  I watched every home game from the student section for 4 years, as Bo Jackson (Big Train) and Lionell James (Little Train) dominated SEC defenses.  Auburn DOMINATED the SEC in the 1980's.  And Lionell James had NO PROBLEM taking 2nd fiddle to Bo Jackson, and James was rewarded with a brilliant Auburn career, and made waves in the NFL.  I hope Shaun Shivers will see the value of this, even if he does (and will) take a 2nd seat to Tank Bigsby next year.  If not, then next man up.  Auburn begs NO PLAYER to stay.

I watched in awe as Pat Dye came to the Student Union EVERY DAY and took our questions, and answered them directly, with no deflection whatsoever.  I remember distinctly the questions I asked Dye, and his candid answers.

Any player who "wants to defect" from Auburn, I say this: get the hell out of here.  There is a narrow road leading to Auburn Football opportunities, and a WIDE road leading out.

I don't expect young people to understand where I'm coming from.  And I don't hold a grudge if they don't understand the history from which I speak.

I’ve been told in no uncertain terms here that, no matter what, Shivers will always be an Auburn man. I was called a weirdo when I disagreed. 

I graduated from Auburn in 1988, and went to high school in Lee County. Guess I’m old school, too. Or just an old fool. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Tmoney56 said:

Coach Jordan was that way too. I remember Coach Jordan introducing himself to me when I was walking across campus before fall classes started as a freshman. He introduced himself to me, not the other way around. When I was a sophomore, he saw me on campus and called me by name and asked me how my mother and father were doing.

Great story............

I've mention this before but Shug had a photographic memory? He never forgot a name or event He was a frat beother ,Theta Chi, he would come over to the frat house a couple of times each quarter

11 hours ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Chose wisely when jumping ship, make sure the ship you jump to will still be floating when you land there.

All out of Likes for toady, but you speak the truth.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Zinzan said:

I’ve been told in no uncertain terms here that, no matter what, Shivers will always be an Auburn man. I was called a weirdo when I disagreed. 

I graduated from Auburn in 1988, and went to high school in Lee County. Guess I’m old school, too. Or just an old fool. 

Shaun Shivers will always be an Auburn man, respected by me and most other Auburn fans - unless he decides to QUIT.  And thereafter (if he chooses to quit on his teammates), he will forever be a quitter.  That's the fact of the matter.  I'm SO SICK of players choosing their "potential brand" over loyalty to the team who gave them their chance.

I'm "Old School", and offer no apologies for thinking that way.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

^today

Max you can edit your own post just like I did for you. Go to the upper righthand corner of your OP you'll see three dots click on it and you will see your options one being edit......

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Max you can edit your own post just like I did for you. Go to the upper righthand corner of your OP you'll see three dots click on it and you will see your options one being edit......

OK, thanks.  New here, and I appreciate the guidance.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Shaun Shivers will always be an Auburn man, respected by me and most other Auburn fans - unless he decides to QUIT.  And thereafter (if he chooses to quit on his teammates), he will forever be a quitter.  That's the fact of the matter.  I'm SO SICK of players choosing their "potential brand" over loyalty to the team who gave them their chance.

I'm "Old School", and offer no apologies for thinking that way.

Shaun Shivers will always have my admiration for his TD in last year's Iron Bowl, and for a number of other plays he's made the last couple years. He was/is valuable to the team.

But if he chooses to leave, best of luck to him, but I (personally) wouldn't think of him as an Auburn man, the way *I* define it.

Is Byron Cowart still an Auburn man? Robert McGinty? Matt Geiger? Davion Mitchell? I wish each of them well, but they're no more "Auburn men" than Corey Grant is a Bama man, or Cam Newton is a Gator for life, or Tray Matthews or Nick Marshall are Dawgs. They all have different backstories that led them to transfer, but in the end, they all moved on to new futures for themselves.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Chose wisely when jumping ship, make sure the ship you jump to will still be floating when you land there.

There's definitely something 'floating' in the punch bowl in Knoxville, but it sure aint a ship.

1 hour ago, Paladin said:

Title of this thread should read Tennessee players jumping ship.

I checked twitter this afternoon and was amazed at what i saw with all these guys leaving.