Biden's plan for Stimulus. Is this a good thing?

Grumps

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

Incidentally, from following facts:

https://businessjournaldaily.com/fed-report-minority-owned-businesses-hurt-more-by-pandemic/

I am not saying that the race should be a criteria for who receives help, but emphasizing relief efforts on whatever groups have been hurt the most is a reasonable approach.

I agree with you that race shouldn’t be a criteria for something like this.  How effective a business owner is at managing difficult times has nothing to do with race and everything to do with management, business types, location and other circumstances.   

Personally, I’ll stand by my opinion that all Americans are equal and should be treated as such.  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, GoAU said:

I agree with you that race shouldn’t be a criteria for something like this.  How effective a business owner is at managing difficult times has nothing to do with race and everything to do with management, business types, location and other circumstances.   

Personally, I’ll stand by my opinion that all Americans are equal and should be treated as such.  

Did you read the cited article?

On 1/19/2021 at 11:22 AM, SaturdayGT said:

Sounds good, but I wish I understood how a $15.00/hr min wage wont destroy small businesses.  I wish I understood how shutting down the Keystone pipeline would not jack Gas prices up through the roof, causing the cost of goods to skyrocket. I do not see anything that will help small businesses at all.....

Two things...

The argument you make over the minimum wage is the same argument that's been made every time the minimum wage is raised. Guess what? Small businesses by and large don't get destroyed. Also, negligible effect on inflation. There's a lot of reasons why this is so and if you do some research you'll see what they are.

Second, what makes you think Keystone would have any appreciable effect on gas prices one way or the other? Keystone was to bring oil from tar sands. environmentally terrible, to the US. Not enough to really have a huge effect either way on prices. But here's the thing: What makes you think oil from Keystone would even remain in the US? Do you know where the vast majority of oil from the Alaska pipeline ends up? Hint: Not in the US.

BTW, the current low gas prices are a sign of just how much trouble the economy is in. Gas prices are down because demand is down. You and I may enjoy the lower prices -- I know I do -- but rising gas prices will signal that things are picking up as far as demand and that will actually be a good thing.

14 hours ago, homersapien said:

Did you read the cited article?

Yes.  The article cited business in areas that had higher minority populations could be more adversely impact by COVID, but not because they ARE minority businesses.   My point is, this can be more effectively managed by addressing it through a geographic focus than one based on race.

12 hours ago, GoAU said:

Yes.  The article cited business in areas that had higher minority populations could be more adversely impact by COVID, but not because they ARE minority businesses.   My point is, this can be more effectively managed by addressing it through a geographic focus than one based on race.

Fine.  Either way it will result in an emphasis on minority-owned businesses, which are largely differentiated by location (in case you hadn't noticed).  

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Fine.  Either way it will result in an emphasis on minority-owned businesses, which are largely differentiated by location (in case you hadn't noticed).  

I have noticed, thanks.   The snarky comment notwithstanding, using a racist approach to problem solving won’t stop racism.  Racism doesn’t cure racism.  It’s not that hard of a concept to understand. 

31 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I have noticed, thanks.   The snarky comment notwithstanding, using a racist approach to problem solving won’t stop racism.  Racism doesn’t cure racism.  It’s not that hard of a concept to understand. 

I don't consider prioritizing a group that is being harmed in a clearly disproportionate way to be racism.  But you just root out racism however you see it, facts be damned.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I don't consider prioritizing a group that is being harmed in a clearly disproportionate way to be racism.  But you just root out racism however you see it, facts be damned.

Two techniques, one is to say base it on race, the other says to base it objectively on need.   And you think your technique is the more fair option?   Forget facts, your just operating on feelings / opinions.   

Your method leaves the possibility that someone hit hard in the heaviest impacted areas can be overlooked because he/she is the wrong race, or conversely someone living in a less impacted area could get aid (that someone else may need more) because he / she is the chosen ethnic group.   My method helps those that needs help the most, equally. It also doesn’t have to resort to racism to do it. 

Those are the “facts”.  

25 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Two techniques, one is to say base it on race, the other says to base it objectively on need.   And you think your technique is the more fair option?   Forget facts, your just operating on feelings / opinions.   

Your method leaves the possibility that someone hit hard in the heaviest impacted areas can be overlooked because he/she is the wrong race, or conversely someone living in a less impacted area could get aid (that someone else may need more) because he / she is the chosen ethnic group.   My method helps those that needs help the most, equally. It also doesn’t have to resort to racism to do it. 

Those are the “facts”.  

That's a bull-s*** S miss-characterization of what Biden said. (I am not surprised.)

This is not a zero sum game.  It's intent is to direct resources to those in who have been shorted aid in the recent past and who need it the most.

Your fear of "reverse racism" says a lot about you.    That doesn't surprise me either.

Fact check: Biden said he plans to increase COVID-19 small business relief to people of color and women

The claim: Biden admitted plans to discriminate against white men with COVID-19 economic relief

Throughout Joe Biden's presidential campaign and transition, he has promised to address the disproportionate economic damage the coronavirus pandemic has had on minority communities.

After he discussed prioritizing aid to small businesses owned by people of color and women at an event Jan. 8, conservative critics are using a 30-second clip from a roughly 25-minute speech to accuse Biden of discriminating against white men. 

“Listen to this clip where Joe Biden is openly recommending racial discrimination,” far-right podcast host Dan Bongino said when introducing the clip.

“Our focus will be on small businesses on Main Street that aren’t wealthy and well-connected, that are facing real economic hardships through no fault of their own,” Biden says. “Our priority will be Black, Latino, Asian and Native American-owned small businesses, women-owned businesses, and finally having equal access to resources needed to reopen and rebuild. But we’re going to make a concerted effort to help small businesses in low-income communities in big cities, small towns and rural communities that have faced systematic barriers to relief.”

Fact check:What's true about the Capitol riot, from antifa to BLM to Chuck Norris

“Did I just hear Joe Biden say that they’re basically going to de-prioritize aid relief to white males who own businesses?” Bongino asked after showing the clip. “No, that’s exactly what he said.”

Bongino encouraged viewers to read an article titled “Biden Pushes Idea of Discriminating Based on Race, Sex in Stimulus Plan” on the conservative website Townhall.

Other conservative critics, such as former George W. Bush Press Secretary Ari Fleischer and Fox News commentator Brit Hume, criticized Biden on Twitter for his remarks.

Bongino, whose video has more than 59,000 reactions and 16,000 comments, has not responded to USA TODAY’s request for comment.

USA TODAY has fact-checked another claim by Bongino contending that a Black Democrat had expressed racist views toward white people.

Fact check:Opinion piece on Trump misattributed to former California mayor

Longer video shows missing context 

Biden made the statement at an event at the Queen theater in Wilmington, Delaware, where he was announcing Cabinet picks. 

C-SPAN video of Biden’s announcement shows he was discussing anticipated increased access to relief for businesses owned by people of color and women because they have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19 economic hardship. 

The Biden-Harris transition team shared an 87-second clip of Biden’s remarks on Twitter Jan. 10.

“Think of the mom-and-pop owner with a couple of employees who can’t pick up the phone and call a banker, who doesn’t have a lawyer, an accountant, to help them through this complicated process, to know if they’re even qualified, or who simply didn’t know where this relief is available in the first place,” Biden continues in the longer video. 

He did not specifically explain how his plan would prioritize people of color or women.

On Jan. 14, Biden announced a $1.9 trillion spending package focused on quickening vaccine distribution and providing economic relief. His plan includes $15 billion in grants for small businesses.

Throughout his campaign, Biden has criticized  former President Donald Trump's economic response to the pandemic, which he claims “largely shut out minority business owners from COVID-19 recovery funds.”

Fact check:The Insurrection Act is not in effect and is unnecessary in DC

On his campaign website he promised to “swiftly end the racial inequity in small business support by ensuring that minority-owned businesses get effective access to all of these tools, as well as access to technical assistance – such as accounting support and legal advice – so that they are not shut out of federal aid programs.”

USA TODAY contacted Biden’s transition team for comment and has yet to receive a response. 

COVID-19 has a disproportionate economic impact 

The pandemic has hit small businesses hard, and the damage has been even more devastating for businesses owned by people of color.

According to data from the National Bureau of Economic Research, African American businesses saw a 41% drop in business activity from February until April, Latino businesses saw a 32% drop, and Asian businesses dropped by 26%. Female-owned businesses saw a similarly disproportionate effect with a 25% decrease in business activity.

That is in contrast to a 17% decrease white business owners have faced.

A University of Michigan study found that in May 2020, less than 0.5% of Black business owners reported they had received COVID-19 aid from the government, compared with 9% of non-Black business owners. 

Fact check:Fake tweet used to claim AOC called for a 'purge' of conservatives

The researchers concluded that the disparity was likely a result of systemic barriers that prevented Black business owners from accessing relief.

Our rating: Missing context

We rate the claim that President-elect Joe Biden admitted plans to discriminate against white men in COVID-19 economic relief MISSING CONTEXT because it is misleading without additional information. Longer video of Biden's remarks shows he was discussing increasing aid to businesses owned by people of color and women because they have been disproportionately affected by the economic crisis. 

Our fact-check sources:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/01/19/fact-check-biden-didnt-say-he-would-discriminate-covid-relief/4213252001/

“Our priority will be on Black, Latino, Asian, and Native American-owned small businesses, and women-owned businesses, finally having equal access to the resources needed to reopen and rebuild,” he continued. “We will make a concerted effort to help small businesses in low-income communities, in big cities, small towns, and rural communities that have faced systemic barriers to relief.

“Think of the mom and pop owner with a couple of employees who can’t just pick up a phone and call a banker, or who doesn’t have lawyers and accountants to help them through the complicated rules to know if they even qualify, or who simply didn’t know there was even relief available in the first place,” Biden added. 

Sounds a lot like he is prioritizing based on race and sex and the communities that one may live in. I wouldn't call it discrimination as much as pandering. But that is what the left does. 

Makes you wonder why he can't just come out and say "We will work to get aide out to the businesses that need it." And leave it at that. 

Hell, just about all small businesses regardless of race, sex, etc. faced barriers with this. 

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's a bull-s*** S miss-characterization of what Biden said. (I am not surprised.)

This is not a zero sum game.  It's intent is to direct resources to those in who have been shorted aid in the recent past and who need it the most.

Your fear of "reverse racism" says a lot about you.    That doesn't surprise me either.

It’s an exact quote of what he said.  There is no context needed when he said he intended to prioritize by race.   Try this on for size - reverse “minority” with “white” - if it sounds wrong, it probably is.   You continue advocating using race to discriminate against a group or prioritize aid,  and then claim that’s not racist. It is the very definition of racist.   Prioritize by individual need.  By the way, the areas that you are claiming have been largely ignored or overlooked, are largely governed by Democrats anyway.  Maybe they’re the ones guilty of racism?

You  talk about “my fear” - that’s ridiculous and continues to reinforce your utter ignorance.  I have no fear whatsoever of “reverse racism”.  That’s an ignorant term anyway, as racism is something people of any race can be guilty of.  I will continue to advocate for my stance of absolute equality.   Treat all people with respect and judge by the content of character and not by the color of their skin.  

Your toxic combination of ignorance and arrogance is astonishing.  

1 minute ago, GoAU said:

It’s an exact quote of what he said.  There is no context needed when he said he intended to prioritize by race.   Try this on for size - reverse “minority” with “white” - if it sounds wrong, it probably is.   You continue advocating using race to discriminate against a group or prioritize aid,  and then claim that’s not racist. It is the very definition of racist.   Prioritize by individual need.  By the way, the areas that you are claiming have been largely ignored or overlooked, are largely governed by Democrats anyway.  Maybe they’re the ones guilty of racism?

You  talk about “my fear” - that’s ridiculous and continues to reinforce your utter ignorance.  I have no fear whatsoever of “reverse racism”.  That’s an ignorant term anyway, as racism is something people of any race can be guilty of.  I will continue to advocate for my stance of absolute equality.   Treat all people with respect and judge by the content of character and not by the color of their skin.  

Your toxic combination of ignorance and arrogance is astonishing.  

I get it. 

Biden's a racist and you're afraid he intends to favor colored people over white.

Dress it up all you want.  That's the bottom line. 

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

I get it. 

Biden's a racist and you're afraid he intends to favor colored people over white.

Nope, and I won’t let you put words in my mouth.  But you do continue to reinforce your ignorance.  Treating people equally isn’t fear, it’s just right.   

15 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I get it. 

You are showing your age with how you worded that Homey!! Just sayin.....😁

Every time you hear these "treat everyone equally, don't offer special consideration for minorities" posts, it is a continuation of the white supremacist litany. They refuse to admit that minorities have been discriminated against throughout U.S. history. Even now, if a minority owned business seeks a loan or credit, they are typically denied access to funding that any white-owned business would easily receive. There is no argument about this. All the research substantiates it.

They are the same people who bellow to minorities "get education" but then in the same breath scream about minorities being given opportunities for university admission to help minorities get that education. And they yell "get a job" when white-owned businesses will not hire minority candidates.

And now they erupt over stimulus efforts to help minority-owned businesses along with white small businesses, because, hey, they are not white! They don't even try to conceal their racism. The government should not endeavor to help minority businesses because it might reduce some funding to white-owned businesses.

This is the kind of systemic racism that persists in our country. It is an endless effort to protect white control from minorities in the face of demographics.

The minimum wage argument is the same. Try to live today on $300 per week. Include food, lodging, insurance, transportation (car & gas), taxes, etc. They scream, get an education, get a job -- See above! They block avenues to education and jobs.

We live in the wealthiest country in the world, and yet we have one of the worst health care systems of any OECD country, one of the highest child mortality rates, the absolute WORST income inequity, a political system that dumps huge amounts of money into the pockets of corporations and the 1%, and here we have people complaining because a minority-owned business might actually receive a few dollars of subsidy money instead of a Trump organization?

Absolutely disgusting!

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

I wish there could be a racist purge. I wouldn't miss the people that would leave this board

This is the 2nd time (recently) that you participated in a thread in the football forum that was locked because of race and then you come in here to get the last word.

If there is a racist purge, it might get you.

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is the 2nd time (recently) that you participated in a thread in the football forum that was locked because of race and then you come in here to get the last word.

If there is a racist purge, it might get you.

You people are totally clueless. You throw up philosophical arguments against helping those who have been disadvantaged throughout their entire history right up to the present.  Oh no, that's racist!   :no:   

You probably think of yourselves a Christian also. :-\  It's shameful.

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You people are totally clueless. You throw up philosophical arguments against helping those who have been disadvantaged throughout their entire history right up to the present.  Oh no, that's racist!   :no:   

You probably think of yourselves a Christian also. :-\  It's shameful.

Wouldn’t a philosophical argument trump an emotional one?  Grow up.  I’m glad you won’t be doing the purging.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Wouldn’t a philosophical argument trump an emotional one?  Grow up.  I’m glad you won’t be doing the purging.

In this case, it's a rationalization for not-so-latent racism.  Never mind that facts and data show people of color continue to suffer from economic discrimination.  It's a self-serving assumption of a zero sum game.

Shame on you.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

In this case, it's a rationalization for not so latent racism.

Shame on you.

Ah, your favorite phrase *latent racism*.  The world according to Homer.  I’m glad I don’t live in that world 🌍 .  

On 1/23/2021 at 7:27 PM, wdefromtx said:

You are showing your age with how you worded that Homey!! Just sayin.....😁

Yeah, I have a distinct personal memory of (severe) racial discrimination.  It wasn't that long ago.  Some of you folks act like we did some sort of magical "reset" at some point in the recent past.  We didn't.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, I have a distinct personal memory of (severe) racial discrimination.  It wasn't that long ago.  Some of you folks act like we did some sort of magical "reset" at some point in the recent past.  We didn't.

Then I figured you’d be more aware of the way you word things. 

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Ah, your favorite phrase *latent racism*.  The world according to Homer.  I’m glad I don’t live in that world 🌍 .  

OK, have it your way. Make it blatant.  You are just too blind to recognize it it in yourself or the world. 

We live in the same world.  Only you think racism doesn't exist in yours. How convenient for you.

Archived