Miscellaneous basketball discussions

cole256

39 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As a driving PG he will be late on transition from Offense to Defense it is the other guards job to get back on D when he drives.  He is not physically strong enough to stop a bigger guard from backing him down but luckily we have a lot of shot blockers who help him there. He at times can be tough on ball handlers out front he has quick feet and hands but he is not consistent with that. At times he gets lazy and beaten out front and PG goes right by him. All players play defense at different levels during the game. Watch Flanagan he almost always plays good defense but at certain points in the game he decides it is time to go to his hard core Defense you watch him get lower and just get a look in his eye, so yes there is some conserving of energy as long when not going full bore Defense you are still playing solid aware defense.

Look how fast Pearl will pull a player for being lazy and not rotating or finding to a three point shooter.  Cooper's speed and quickness are assets on Defense when used properly his size both height and strength at this times are weaknesses. S&C whether here or in the Pro's can help with the strength height is what it is. D and lack of a consistent outside shot especially since his outside shot is not a quick release are why I think Cooper will be here next year.  I am not sure about Flanagan but if he does get advice from NBA that he is a late 1st round or early 2nd round he should go. Hopefully they will have a combine this year where they can get a true appraisal from NBA before making a decision.

Thanks. Much appreciated. 

Seeing reports of Cooper projected in the first round.

As of yesterday, Allen Flanigan is projected 16th overall by https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/. And if he's projected that high at the end of the season, he would be a fool not to go early.

I don't want to think about losing both Flanigan AND possibly Coop after this year. Please no!! I want another Final Four run. I know, I know, very selfish of me. 

But I wouldn't be upset with them if they did reach for their dreams. 

yeah.Honestly they have a strong team and they have all stuck together. Add in Primo and they have a talented group. But their biggest strength is the 3 ball. They shot lights out beyond the arc. Ok, Im feeling nauseated now. No more bama talk.

They are talented and the most unique thing about them is their length. They guard teams and they can switch everything. You can't hardly create a mismatch anywhere against them. But they have one on you when you try to go big. Then when they go to zone they are so long and athletic you have to go over the top of them. To beat them you'll have to have a great shooting performance. 

They brought in a couple of long freshmen, then they also added quinerly and bruhner. (He really hurt us)

The team was perfect for their coach style of play. He was the best coach they could've hired. I was bummed when they hired him

• Like 2

Good talks. I like this thread so far, it's what I've been wanting. I didn't know if anybody felt like me though

• Like 2

As I keep seeing the numbers Trey Alexander is putting up and the highlight film's on him I become more and more impressed.  I was extremely impressed when we signed Powell last year I was one of the people who said he was the sleeper of the class and then before he got hurt he exceeded my expectations. That said Trey will be the most complete SG out of HS that Auburn has signed in a long time. He has a quick effortless 3 point shot that he can catch and shoot off the pass or can use his dribble and step back to create on his own. He has very strong ball handling skills that allow him to penetrate and go to the rack, or pull up and shoot, or pass to the open man.  He is extremely quick and can jump. As some have said his ball handling skills are good enough to be a PG. He seems to be a good rebounder who can rebound and take the ball length of the court and score.. He has also impressed me in the little I have seen with his on ball defense. Sadly highlight films tend to only show offense.

In basketball they often talk about shooters and scorers it is not always the same thing. I have seen scorers who are good shooters but not great shooters who find a way to score points he seems to be both which I have not seen at Auburn in a while. Brown was a shooter who developed from year to year to become somewhat of a scorer but really was a shooter. I think Cole can explain better than I can the difference between a shooter and a scorer.

If Cooper stays one more year he would be a better backup PG then Powell (who I love) as he is quicker and can push the ball up court. I think he is so good that he will take some minutes away from Powell next year.  He is a true SG but he has the ability to allow us to have a really big team on the floor at times while still being able to play fast when he is acting as backup PG.

Trey PG, Powell SG, Flanagan SF (assuming he returns if not Thor or Jabari at SF) Thor or Jabari at PF and lots of possibilities at Center (Thor, Jabari, Cardwell, Stretch). 

Question ... I love flan, but if he stays next year does he risk losing minutes or even starting role at the 3 to the combo of Alexander, Powell, Thor, jaylin and jabari playing the 2-4 spots.  It seems to me that cardwell will solidify the 5 meaning Thor and jaylin possibly working at the 3?  Alexander and Powell and possibly cooper can drive to the hole.  I’m thinking Thor and jaylin will improve on that as well.  Thor or jaylin being guarded by a SF?

just thinking out loud ...

I'm afraid of losing Cooper.  Even if he isn't ready defensively or shot-wise for the pros, I'm afraid he might move on anyway.  Whatever is best for him, but I think he would benefit from another year under Pearl.

I'm an older guy whose love of basketball runs through the low post.  So I love Dylan Cardwell.  I think if he keeps improving, he could be a real scoring threat and open up things on the perimeter.

I can't wait to see Justin Powell playing his natural position along side Cooper.  Hope it happens soon enough to see where it could go.  But Powell's health is more important than anything else in that regard.

Love this team and the future.  Very excited to see where it will go, this year and next. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 7:25 PM, Rednilla said:

As of yesterday, Allen Flanigan is projected 16th overall by https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/. And if he's projected that high at the end of the season, he would be a fool not to go early.

No Coop in that projection unless I overlooked.

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

No Coop in that projection unless I overlooked.

Coop was not in the projection. I was diligent about checking that. Flanigan is the only AU player in that mock draft. And, honestly, we'd miss him if he went early, but not nearly as much as we'd miss Coop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Coop was not in the projection. I was diligent about checking that. Flanigan is the only AU player in that mock draft. And, honestly, we'd miss him if he went early, but not nearly as much as we'd miss Coop.

I agree as Cooper maybe best Facilitator I have seen in an Auburn uniform but Flanigan is more NBA ready. The difference is that we have similar players to Flanigan (not quite as good but not a huge drop off especially with Alexander, Powell, Cambridge) but nobody else like Cooper on the team

26 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree as Cooper maybe best Facilitator I have seen in an Auburn uniform but Flanigan is more NBA ready. The difference is that we have similar players to Flanigan (not quite as good but not a huge drop off especially with Alexander, Powell, Cambridge) but nobody else like Cooper on the team

Great logic in this post

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Great logic in this post

Darn if you don't quit agreeing with me I will start to think I know what I am talking about. Then I could hurt my shoulder patting myself on my back.

• Like 1

8 did a pretty lengthy post and explained exactly what teams would start to do defensively and explained how this would have an effect on the entire team but coop especially. I also explained when we get into traveling and playing games with little break in between that you'll see coop's effectiveness fall a bit.

I say that to say it's not a big deal to be worried about or anything. Hopefully some guys can get the jump shot going a bit because that is what will dictate how well we play.

So far everything is going as we (or at least I but I think I had a few that agree with me) expected. There's no reason to go all crazy about it.

And just because coop gets neutralized every now and then doesn't mean he's not being followed by NBA scouts

I missed the explanation of what teams are doing to us/Coop defensively.  It looks like they are putting bigger Guards on him, banging him and double teaming him.  How does CBP change things to run smoother on offense?

Great article regarding Chris Moore. Moore has been my favorite surprise this year.  He is super consistent. Evidently it shows in his efficiency rating. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/chris-moore-auburn-bench-shooting-efficiency-bruce-pearl-auburn-georgia-160315032/

Unselfish' freshman Chris Moore proving valuable for Auburn

by Nathan King

3 hours ago

AUBURN, Alabama — Something just clicks for the Tigers whenever Chris Moore enters the game.

Since returning from a brief injury issue with his wrist, Moore has averaged 5 points per game over his past four outings. Included in that stretch was a career-high 11 points off 3-for-3 shooting from beyond the arc in last week's win over No. 12 Missouri. The freshman's individual numbers aren't leaping off the stat sheet. But his impact on the floor — and the success his teammates enjoy whenever he's in the game — is proving crucial for Auburn as it enters the second half of the SEC schedule.

Moore's somewhat absurd stretch began three games back, in Auburn's record-setting, 109-86 win at South Carolina two Saturdays ago. Moore played nine minutes and had just one basket. But for some reason, Auburn played its best basketball in those nine minutes. On each of the team's offensive possessions that did not end in a turnover while Moore was in the lineup, the team scored points, making 10 shots on 15 attempts.

He followed up with a strong outing against Missouri where he again posted a floor percentage of 100%, but this time, he took a good bit of the scoring into his own hands with 11 points. Auburn converted a made field goal on 12 of Moore's 19 offensive possessions.

“You know, it was all about not dropping off," Moore said of Auburn's bench after the win. "The coaching staff always emphasizes when our starters come out, we can’t drop off, we got to keep the energy going, sometimes bringing more than the starters. That’s kind of what our offense is about, bringing the energy, bringing the thing that we need to keep the tide rolling. That’s kind of what we do.”

Most recently, Moore had a 100% floor percentage for the third consecutive game over the weekend in Auburn's loss at No. 2 Baylor. Though he played only seven minutes and had just 4 points, Moore's offensive rating of 176.5 was by far the highest on the team, and the Tigers made a shot on four of his five possessions that didn't end in a turnover.

Bruce Pearl said Moore is one of the team's most versatile pieces in terms of his utility on both ends of the floor. He's a "tweener," as Pearl explained, after playing in the frontcourt in high school at 6-foot-6. Now, Auburn is attempting to develop him into a big guard.

But it's that unorthodox mold helps him defend smaller players on the perimeter without losing any quickness, while also being able to hold his own down low against big guys, as he's been trained to do as a power forward.

"Tweeners can be matchup nightmares," Pearl said. "So he is a matchup problem because he's quick enough to guard guards, he's big enough to guard inside. And I just love his future in our program."

Sign up for the Auburn Undercover Newsletter and get Auburn breaking news in your inbox

But why does Auburn's efficiency increase whenever Moore checks in the game? Pearl said that starts with the freshman's attitude, which then bleeds over onto his on-court contributions. Moore approaches every possession with the intent of scoring points, and he knows those points won't be scored by him most of the time.

"He's a locker-room favorite because he's such a great teammate," Pearl said. "He's so unselfish, he's such a hard worker and he cares only about the team's success. As a result, he's so unselfish as a person. That makes the other four guys out there better, whether it's offensively or defensively. He makes the other four guys out there better."

Auburn's bench has contributed effectively over the past few games, highlighted by a 34-point performance in the win over Missouri. Sophomore guard Devan Cambridge now playing his best basketball of the season as the team's sixth man, averaging 9.4 points per game since exiting the starting lineup to make way for Sharife Cooper, and Moore's value continues to be an asset.

The Tigers jump back into their SEC slate Tuesday night at home against Georgia (6 p.m. CST, SEC Network).

© 2005-2021 CBS INTERACTIVE ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc.

We seem to have so much talent... it’s hard to decide who gets the minutes. But if Flanagan is a first round pick he has to go. Cooper as of now I don’t know how high he projects ( still got several games) but he can get a lot better. I enjoy him better than any PG we have had in my memory. But he can get stronger, better shooting and more than anything , learning his limitations on dribbling in too much traffic. He also loses the handle when a quick guard plays him tight. I don’t think a pg under 6 feet can get away with that in the NBA. I’m hopeful he sees an opportunity to make more money by coming back. But that’s probably wishful thinking on my part. 
     I remember years we maybe had one guy over 6’6”. Now we have all these trees. And they can all move like guards. I’m wishing we could get a inside scorer developed out of the bunch. 
     I haven’t seen Chris Moore except these last few games. I really like his outside shot. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, or if I should create a separate thread regarding my question. I'm looking for good basketball shoes under $50. Sounds easy? but it isn't. Every site has different recommendations, just compare the results on top! 

[#] https://thisisbasketball.world/7-basketball-shoes-under-50-dollars-for-the-modern-game

[#] https://basketballonpoint.com/best-basketball-shoes-under-50/

Its the same with YouTube channels. I'd prefer opinions of people that have actually tried cheaper shoes. What do they suggest. 

2 minutes ago, Titus Bartoletti said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, or if I should create a separate thread regarding my question. I'm looking for good basketball shoes under $50. Sounds easy? but it isn't. Every site has different recommendations, just compare the results on top! 

[#] https://thisisbasketball.world/7-basketball-shoes-under-50-dollars-for-the-modern-game

Its the same with YouTube channels. I'd prefer opinions of people that have actually tried cheaper shoes. What do they suggest. 

BTW, I've posted here because it said "Miscellaneous basketball discussion" and the OP stated to ask questions may not be directly related to a game in this thread. 

I actually can't help because I tend to hoop in shoes that cost more than 50. Even work shoes or boots I tend to invest money in because the advice I always heard was invest in your feet and your sleep (bed). 

I can offer that talking to a podiatrist recently we got off topic and started talking basketball and he said you always need good support and you really need a few pair of shoes to rotate and not just say these are my one pair of hooping shoes. And your foot type matters. If you're flat footed you made need some inserts. But that's all I got

2 hours ago, Titus Bartoletti said:

I go to Outlet malls and try and find a good shoe that is last years model and has been reduced. every now and then I find a quality shoe in the $50-75 range but people often laugh at the color.  If I can't find a reduced price quality shoe after trying for a month I go ahead and spend the money because you can't short change on your feet and ankles.  Ankle surgery even with insurance is costly and I can vouch for that.