2021 3* OT Colby Smith Signs With AU!

AuburnTiger4Life

3* per the composite if I remember correctly. 247 mentioned him a week or two ago as someone to watch. 

He would be a great pickup. The Tennessee meltdown plus Friend and O-Line recruiting is looking up.  3* composite 4* on 247 picking up a HS 2021 OT this late in the game was totally unexpected. Please make this true.  The new staff is really working hard.

• Like 4

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 3* OT Colby Smith

Smith de-commits from UT, looking hard at Auburn

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

@JLeeAURivals

Colby Smith on Monday de-committed from Tennessee, and the offensive tackle from North Carolina will have plenty of other options from which to choose on Signing Day.

One is Auburn.

Smith, from Rockingham County in Wentworth, has been in contact with Auburn offensive line coach Will Friend, who was at Tennessee when Smith committed to the Vols.

“I talked to Coach Friend (Sunday),” Smith said. “I really like Coach Friend. Me and him have a really good relationship. We click really well.”

The relationship is reason enough for Smith to have interest in Auburn, and the feeling is mutual. Auburn recently offered and is pushing hard for Smith.

Smith has never been to Auburn, but Friend believes Smith would fit in. It’s Smith’s kind of town, according to Friend.

“I don’t know a lot about Auburn, but Coach Friend said it would fit me really well,” Smith said. “It’s a small town, which fits me perfectly. I’m from the country. It’s also in the SEC, which is big.”

Smith also likes new head coach Bryan Harsin. The two also spoke on Sunday.

“I like him,” Smith said. “I think he’s pretty cool. I think he’ll be really good at Auburn.”

Smith is considering playing under Harsin and Friend. Auburn is one of his finalists. Tennessee also remains in the mix, as do North Carolina and Louisville.

“I’ll have to make a decision soon,” Smith said. “Signing Day isn’t too far away.”

Rivals ranks Smith, who is 6-foot-8 and 320 pounds, the No. 31 overall recruit in North Carolina.

We don't want no 3 stars. 4-5 stars only. Harsin better get it together...

😏

Edited by Randman5000
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A HS OT what a unique thing it would be for Auburn to sign.

Dayne Shor excites me most. A 4* OT TO AUBURN?! WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!

On 1/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, augolf1716 said:

Drama Scandal GIF by Prince

Seriously though, I can’t say I would be all that excited about a 3* OL. If we can get Shor and Quick on the other hand, then the ball will be rolling.

This young man is a 247 Composite 3* 0.8694 in reading up on the rankings it is done on a curve so the composite number difference between a top 3* and bottom 4* can vary.  Can anybody give me rough estimate on the composite number range. I realize it can vary a little because of the Curve.

Something along lines of:

0.95 and > is 5*

0.81 - 0.949 is 4*

I have no idea what the real ranges are so please don't anybody think the numbers above are reflective of real rating.

28 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This young man is a 247 Composite 3* 0.8694 in reading up on the rankings it is done on a curve so the composite number difference between a top 3* and bottom 4* can vary.  Can anybody give me rough estimate on the composite number range. I realize it can vary a little because of the Curve.

Something along lines of:

0.95 and > is 5*

0.81 - 0.949 is 4*

I have no idea what the real ranges are so please don't anybody think the numbers above are reflective of real rating.

@ellitor

@AuburnNTexas on the composite the threshold to being a five star is .9834 and up. The threshold for a four-star is .8900 and up. Colby Smith is a mid-level three star on the composite and is quite a ways from being a four-star.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AuburnNTexas on the composite the threshold to being a five star is .9834 and up. The threshold for a four-star is .8900 and up. Colby Smith is a mid-level three star on the composite and is quite a ways from being a four-star.

Hell, I'll take some 3 star OTs to develop

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Hold my beer...

- Gus

This is so wrong and so unfair......he would definitely be saying “Hold my ‘Scattered, Smothered, and Covered’ “